Woeful yum/rpm installation

James Moe

Jul 2, 2017, 7:28:32 PM7/2/17
Hello,
os/2 4.52

I decided to investigate Qt on os/2. First, however, I needed to
install yum/rpm; so I did.
The basic installation seemed to go well. Then:

$> yum
ImportError: No module named site

I am supposing "No module named site" is a python missive indicating a
module named "Site" is required. The error occurs no matter what command
is given.
Questions:
1. Where do I find the required module(s) for a complete yum/rpm/
installation?
2. Why are those modules not there?

--
James Moe
jmm-list at sohnen-moe dot com

Pete

Jul 2, 2017, 8:14:45 PM7/2/17
Hi James
Not sure why you needed to install yum/rpm to investigate qt on OS/2...

Probably the easiest way to use yum/rpm is with ANPM (Arca Noae Package
Manager) as installing ANPM also installs yum/rpm. See
https://www.arcanoae.com/resources/downloadables/arca-noae-package-manager/
for more details/requirements.

Regards

Pete

James Moe

Jul 3, 2017, 2:31:01 AM7/3/17
On 07/02/2017 05:14 PM, Pete wrote:
> Probably the easiest way to use yum/rpm is with ANPM (Arca Noae Package
> Manager) as installing ANPM also installs yum/rpm. See
> https://www.arcanoae.com/resources/downloadables/arca-noae-package-manager/
> for more details/requirements.

Not useful. I have no access to any of the repositories.
Entering "yum" at the command line produces the same import error.

Andreas Kohl

Jul 3, 2017, 11:42:19 AM7/3/17
James Moe schrieb:
> On 07/02/2017 05:14 PM, Pete wrote:
>> Probably the easiest way to use yum/rpm is with ANPM (Arca Noae Package
>> Manager) as installing ANPM also installs yum/rpm. See
>> https://www.arcanoae.com/resources/downloadables/arca-noae-package-manager/
>> for more details/requirements.
>>
> Not useful. I have no access to any of the repositories.
> Entering "yum" at the command line produces the same import error.
The whole process to setup an initial yum/rpm environment for OS/2 is
currently broken. It's only tested for ArcaOS or eComStation. The files
for bootstrap installation from Netlabs are outdated. Better avoid RPM,
you can download zip files to setup a Qt environment.

<ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/qt4/4.7.3.2/>
plus this one:
<ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/qtapps/QtNet4_Fix_SSL.zip>

It was never updated in the last four years. So no reason for RPM at all...

--
Andreas

Doug Bissett

Jul 3, 2017, 3:23:57 PM7/3/17
On Mon, 3 Jul 2017 06:30:54 UTC, James Moe
<jimoe...@sohnen-moe.com> wrote:

> On 07/02/2017 05:14 PM, Pete wrote:
> > Probably the easiest way to use yum/rpm is with ANPM (Arca Noae Package
> > Manager) as installing ANPM also installs yum/rpm. See
> > https://www.arcanoae.com/resources/downloadables/arca-noae-package-manager/
> > for more details/requirements.
> >
> Not useful. I have no access to any of the repositories.
> Entering "yum" at the command line produces the same import error.

Yes you do. Everybody has access to the netlabs repository, and ANPM
is free from Atca Noae. Get ANPM, from the posted address, and install
it. That will make the base RPM/YUM setup, for any current version of
OS/2, and it makes using RPM/YUM possible for normal people. Just run
the program, and it will lead you through the rest of the install.

--
From Doug Bissett's ArcaOS
dougb007 at telus dot net

James Moe

Jul 5, 2017, 1:06:23 PM7/5/17
On 07/03/2017 12:23 PM, Doug Bissett wrote:
> Just run
> the program, and it will lead you through the rest of the install.

It did do that. However, there were no repos added by the installer,
and any attempt to add a repo manually failed silently.

Doug Bissett

Jul 5, 2017, 11:19:31 PM7/5/17
On Wed, 5 Jul 2017 17:06:17 UTC, James Moe
<jimoe...@sohnen-moe.com> wrote:

> On 07/03/2017 12:23 PM, Doug Bissett wrote:
> > Just run
> > the program, and it will lead you through the rest of the install.
> >
> It did do that. However, there were no repos added by the installer,
> and any attempt to add a repo manually failed silently.

I assume that you rebooted. The netlabs repo should already be
installed.

Have look in the log, it may give you a clue. You can also run YUM
and/or RPM from the command line. Just run the programs, they should
give you the help, or a clue to the problem.

Steven Levine

Jul 6, 2017, 9:15:56 PM7/6/17
On Wed, 5 Jul 2017 17:06:17 UTC, James Moe
<jimoe...@sohnen-moe.com> wrote:

Hi James,

> It did do that. However, there were no repos added by the installer,
> and any attempt to add a repo manually failed silently.

As Doug suggested, look at the logs.

FWIW, that last time I fixed this issue for someone, they discovered a
python install that they forgetten existed. Since, the install was in
the PATH, it conflicted with the python installed by rpm/yum.

At the time ANPM did not check for this issue. At some point in the
future it will.

Steven

Steven Levine <ste...@earthlink.bogus.net>
DIY/Warp/BlueLion etc. www.scoug.com www.arcanoae.com www.warpcave.com