Wrong number of disks returned by DosPhysicalDisk

Mat Nieuwenhoven

Mar 11, 2019, 5:36:45 PM3/11/19
Hi, I hope this group is still alive somewhat.

I was looking at Airboot's source, and noticed that the call
DosPhysicalDisk returns 10 partitionable disks. But there are only two
on this system, and SSD and a HD. What is wrong here?
The call in the source looks like that in
http://www.edm2.com/0701/warpboot.html.

Mat Nieuwenhoven

Marcel Mueller

Mar 11, 2019, 7:30:16 PM3/11/19
Am 11.03.19 um 22:36 schrieb Mat Nieuwenhoven:
> Hi, I hope this group is still alive somewhat.
>
> I was looking at Airboot's source, and noticed that the call
> DosPhysicalDisk returns 10 partitionable disks. But there are only two
> on this system, and SSD and a HD. What is wrong here?

Card reader wich supports many formats?

Marcel

Lars Erdmann

Mar 17, 2019, 4:57:40 AM3/17/19
... rather disks that are "reserved" by USBMSD.ADD.
If you tell USBMSD.ADD to prepare 8 units via setting the
/REMOVABLES:8 switch then USBMSD.ADD will report to the OS
that it is managing 8 units even if no USB stick/disk is plugged in.
That's because of a limitation in OS/2 that needs to know
already at boot up time how many partitionable devices are there.
You can easily test: change /REMOVABLES: to another value and see what
DosPhysicalDisk will report back.

Lars

Mat Nieuwenhoven

Mar 17, 2019, 5:40:20 PM3/17/19
Which I did, and indeed, it varies with the number of removables.
I have set it to 2, because Linux reports 2 USB drives for the
cardreader.

Thank you, Marcel and Lars.

On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 09:57:37 +0100, Lars Erdmann wrote:

:>.... rather disks that are "reserved" by USBMSD.ADD.
:>