win32os2

Paul Edwards

Dec 22, 2023, 2:46:45 AM12/22/23
I have - mostly as proof of concept - created
a Win32 shell for OS/2 2.0+ that allows certain
Win32 console mode applications to run on OS/2 2.0.

Search for win32os2 at http://pdos.org

All code involved is public domain C source.

BFN. Paul.

Peter Flass

Dec 22, 2023, 1:59:52 PM12/22/23
Interesting. I have an aspirational idea (probably never to be anything
real) for something like Wine that will run OS/2 applications on Linux. I
got as far as coming up with a name - “Twine.” Perhaps your code will help.

--
Pete

Peter Flass

Dec 22, 2023, 2:01:14 PM12/22/23
oops, read your post backwards. Probably no help.

--
Pete

Paul Edwards

Dec 22, 2023, 3:22:24 PM12/22/23
Actually, I have pdos-generic running under Linux already:
D:\devel\pdos\generic>dir *.lnx
Volume in drive D is PAULDATA
Volume Serial Number is DAB2-6E30

Directory of D:\devel\pdos\generic

2023-12-22 03:23p 277 makebios.lnx
2023-12-22 03:23p 424 makecomm.lnx
2023-12-22 03:23p 568 makefile.lnx
3 File(s) 1,269 bytes

So I should be able to have my own version
of Wine. I didn't think of that. I have
struggled so much to try to install Wine
(without success), but the solution was
right in front of me - thanks. So long as
the calling convention is the same (cdecl),
which it is, it should be fine.

As for running OS/2 on Linux instead - this
whole infrastructure is dependent on replacing
at the C library level.

So I would need the OS/2 executables to have
the C library in a separate DLL. Is there a
convention for that already?

Having said that, I could in fact replace at
the doscalls level. The limited number of
doscalls that I use could be converted back
into standard C90 calls. I have a similar
(shim?) for replacing all the Posix crap in
gcc 3.2.3. I have a unixio.c that does C90.
It's not perfect and so the main app needs
tweaking sometimes (e.g. if it is doing an
fstat and won't accept a file length or time
of 0 or something like that - actually I
think it was binutils that required some
intrusive code).

Actually I have one more problem on Linux.

I don't know which level it happens at, but
the "MATE" terminal I use generates a single
ESC when you press ESC. Which is normal, but
ANSI X3.64 allows two ESC so that you don't
need timing-sensitive code. And "my" apps like
micro-emacs are dependent on those two ESC.
So when I recompiled micro-emacs on Linux I
have to press ESC twice. I have the same
problem on Windows in fact when I activate
their ANSI mode. I don't have that problem
on OS/2 because I am required to provide the
ANSI keyboard myself.

The second ESC allows me to distinguish
between the user pressing ESC and a cursor
escape sequence.

Any suggestions? ie other than adding
timing-sensitive code which is non-C90.

Thanks. Paul.

Paul Edwards

Dec 22, 2023, 8:54:16 PM12/22/23
On 23/12/23 04:22, Paul Edwards wrote:
> 2023-12-22 03:23p 277 makebios.lnx

Actually it was makefile.lnp that I needed.

> So I should be able to have my own version
> of Wine. I didn't think of that. I have
> struggled so much to try to install Wine
> (without success), but the solution was
> right in front of me - thanks. So long as
> the calling convention is the same (cdecl),
> which it is, it should be fine.

It works, and is available at http://pdos.org
(search for win32lin).

I had to fix a bug first though.

> As for running OS/2 on Linux instead - this
> whole infrastructure is dependent on replacing
> at the C library level.

Another problem is that my exeload.c program
which loads a plethora of executable formats
does not yet have support for LX. It has NE
(to some extent) and PE though.

> Actually I have one more problem on Linux.
>
> I don't know which level it happens at, but
> the "MATE" terminal I use generates a single
> ESC when you press ESC. Which is normal, but
> ANSI X3.64 allows two ESC so that you don't
> need timing-sensitive code. And "my" apps like
> micro-emacs are dependent on those two ESC.
> So when I recompiled micro-emacs on Linux I
> have to press ESC twice. I have the same
> problem on Windows in fact when I activate
> their ANSI mode. I don't have that problem
> on OS/2 because I am required to provide the
> ANSI keyboard myself.

I confirmed that the problem still exists
under Linux (ie win32lin).

So OS/2 remains the best environment still. :-)

PDOS too.

BFN. Paul.

Dave Yeo

Dec 23, 2023, 6:43:24 PM12/23/23