XP and OS/2 Peer working finally

Ronny Hippler

Jul 29, 2002, 12:44:27 PM7/29/02

Ok after looking for ever on a soulution I finaly found the info to
get this working Woohoo! If you can't see the os/2 box with xp but
other machines see it fine you need to change the following key on the
registry to "1" form "0"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters\
Lmannounce=1

You also need to install netbui. It is found in
C:\VALUEADD\MSFT\NET\NETBEUI on the xp machine. READ the netbui.txt
file! You can not just install it via network properties as the driver
will not be copied and windows will not complain. Thanks to who ever
it was that figued this part out, gotta love msft...

James Knott

Jul 29, 2002, 7:14:01 PM7/29/02
Ronny Hippler wrote:

> Ok after looking for ever on a soulution I finaly found the info to
> get this working Woohoo! If you can't see the os/2 box with xp but
> other machines see it fine you need to change the following key on the
> registry to "1" form "0"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters\
> Lmannounce=1

I was able to see XP from OS/2, without changing anything.

> You also need to install netbui. It is found in
> C:\VALUEADD\MSFT\NET\NETBEUI on the xp machine. READ the netbui.txt
> file! You can not just install it via network properties as the driver
> will not be copied and windows will not complain. Thanks to who ever
> it was that figued this part out, gotta love msft...

You do not need netbeui. You can configure OS/2 for "NetBIOS over TCP/IP".

I have a network that runs OS/2 and Linux and occasionally W98 or XP. Never
had a problem networking them, and there isn't a netbeui packet to be
found.

--

Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

james.knott.