OS/2 and ADSL from Verizon Online

John Missing

Aug 16, 2003, 10:05:00 PM8/16/03
Beloved in Christ,
After a horrible experience with the Injoy Firewall and PPPoE driver and
their lack of support for their products, which, in the end, could not
be configured because installing the driver interfered with MPTS
configuration, and then discovering that ISDNPM doesn't support DHCP and
finally finding that SafeFire seems to misread the configuration under
MPTS, I am wondering whether there is any way to connect to Verizon
Online DSL under OS/2.
Perhaps the question should be whether there is a software method of
connecting or must I buy a router and configure my machine for a LAN
connection. My machine dual boots OS/2 or Windows 98.
Any information would be appreciated.

Blessings,
Archbishop John

eric w

Aug 16, 2003, 10:09:16 PM8/16/03

buy a cable/dsl router (they are real cheap).

they all have PPPoE code builtin which is what you need to get going (plus you
will get some protection from the jungle).

...eric

Jerry

Aug 17, 2003, 8:58:45 AM8/17/03
On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 02:05:00 UTC, John Missing
<bishopjoh...@nospamyahoo.com> wrote:

> Perhaps the question should be whether there is a software method of
> connecting or must I buy a router and configure my machine for a LAN
> connection.

I use Verizon DSL, and I have no real idea how I would go about
connecting my OS/2 and eCS installations to the verizon modem without
a network card. Once you have a network card, an inexpensive router
just makes everything much easier.

HTH,
Jerry

John Missing

Aug 17, 2003, 11:10:47 AM8/17/03
I have a network card, but under Windows 98, I don't have to use a
router. Windows software allows me to connect the NIC to the DSL modem
directly. There doesn't appear to be anything comparable for OS/2. The
software that I've tried just doesn't work satisfactorily.

Blessings,
Archbishop John

Stan Goodman

Aug 17, 2003, 12:23:11 PM8/17/03
On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 12:58:45 UTC, "Jerry" <prath...@verizon.net>
opined:

I think we can give the man the benefit of the doubt, and assume that
he has a network card. I see nothing in his query to indicate that he
doesn't. What he is asking is whether he needs also a router -- which
would indeed make his problem much simpler. It is what I did when I
connected to ADSL here (PPtP, rather than PPPoE, which was even more
dicey).

--
Stan Goodman, Qiryat Tiv'on, Israel

Please replace "SPAM-FOILER" with "sgoodman".

200 years of European fecklessness in the face of Arab terror: Tripoli
Pirates (1814); OPEC Oil (1973); Saddam Hussein and Yasser Arafat
(1990 et seq.) -- but actually financing it, and marching in support
of tyranny, are 21st-century craven European wrinkles.

William L. Hartzell

Aug 17, 2003, 5:27:11 PM8/17/03
Sir: John Missing wrote: > I have a network card, but under Windows 98, I don't have to use a > router. Windows software allows me to connect the NIC to the DSL modem > directly. There doesn't appear to be anything comparable for OS/2. The > software that I've tried just doesn't work satisfactorily. > Jerry wrote: >> On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 02:05:00 UTC, John Missing >> <bishopjoh...@nospamyahoo.com> wrote: >>> Perhaps the question should be whether there is a software method of >>> connecting or must I buy a router and configure my machine for a LAN >>> connection. >> I use Verizon DSL, and I have no real idea how I would go about >> connecting my OS/2 and eCS installations to the verizon modem without >> a network card. Once you have a network card, an inexpensive router >> just makes everything much easier. The PPPoE stuff used by Verizon is a Microsoft invention. I would assume that a decent port of it has not made it to OS/2 since you've tried the only offerings of PPPoE for OS/2. The easiest solution would be a cheap router/firewall box. Note the firewall in these cheap routers is not very good. Keep the one on OS/2 and Windows working. Also when you get one, update its BIOS/firmware ASAP. Crackers are always finding holes in them and the latest patches do help. Bill Thanks a Million!

Bjarne Jensen

Aug 18, 2003, 6:41:21 AM8/18/03
I regret to say that John Missing is lying.

We analyzed John's PPPoE trace and replied to --every single-- question John
had, right up until the point where John started his e-mail with the
sentense:

"I wasted money on your software!!!"

The above sentence came out of the blue, without any previous questions
about the specific problems. I welcome John to show the messages we had
written before and maybe point out our lack of support or similar
disrespectful behavior from F/X ??

Anyway, after this comment from John, which we found very disrespectful and
unproductive, we told John that we did not want to further support him.

"John Missing" <bishopjoh...@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message

John Missing

Aug 18, 2003, 3:39:41 PM8/18/03
Beloved in Christ,
Unfortunately, Mr. Bjarne Jensen again throws lies and disrespect at me.
I shall post the complete text of our correspondence.

Bjarne Jensen wrote:
> I regret to say that John Missing is lying.
>
> We analyzed John's PPPoE trace and replied to --every single-- question John
> had, right up until the point where John started his e-mail with the
> sentense:
>
> "I wasted money on your software!!!"
>
> The above sentence came out of the blue, without any previous questions
> about the specific problems. I welcome John to show the messages we had
> written before and maybe point out our lack of support or similar
> disrespectful behavior from F/X ??
>
> Anyway, after this comment from John, which we found very disrespectful

This is not disrespectful or not nearly so much as his response of
calling me a "bastard."

You will see how poor their support was. And how little respect they
have for the consumers on whom they depend for their livelihood.

Blessings,
Archbishop John

John Missing

Aug 18, 2003, 5:11:35 PM8/18/03
Here is the actual course of events:

> [...]
> active the lan card/interface and assign it a dummy
> ip address. Hope this helps.
>

>>>Please help!
>>>I just downloaded and registered Injoy Firewall and later downloaded
>>>PPPoE. With each of them I carefully followed the directions for
>>>installation, but when I tried starting I got an error which I don't
>>>understand:
>

>>>InJoy Firewall, Copyright (C) F/X Communications
>>>GATEWAY.EXE version 1.40 (1)
>>>20:48.34 Fatal: Interface address/netmask 0.0.0.0 NOT allowed.
>>>20:48.34 Fatal: Use e.g. 1.1.1.1 or 10.2.2.1 with netmask 255.255.255.0
>>>Killed by signal! (C0010002)
>

>>>InJoy PPPoE, Copyright (C) F/X Communications
>>>PPPOET.EXE version 1.0 (1)
>>>23:08.02 Debug: getting interface :01 :00 00 00 00 00 00
>>>23:08.02 Debug: getting interface :02 :00 00 00 00 00 00
>>>23:08.02 Debug: getting interface :03 :00 00 00 00 00 00
>>>23:08.02 Debug: getting interface :04 :00 00 00 00 00 00
>>>23:08.02 Debug: getting interface :05 :00 00 00 00 00 00
>>>23:08.02 Debug: getting interface :06 :00 00 00 00 00 00
>>>23:08.02 Debug: getting interface :07 :00 00 00 00 00 00
>>>23:08.02 Debug: getting interface :08 :00 00 00 00 00 00
>>>23:08.02 Fatal: Interface address/netmask 0.0.0.0 NOT allowed.
>>>23:08.02 Fatal: Use e.g. 1.1.1.1 or 10.2.2.1 with netmask 255.255.255.0
>

>>>--
>>>Blessings,
>>>Archbishop John Missing
>>>(********@******* OR bisho...@yahoo.com)
>>>(http://fellowship-of-mercy.faithweb.com)
>>>Glory to Jesus Christ!
>>> Glory to Him Forever!
> -- Bjarne Jensen
> President, F/X Communications.
> http://www.fx.dk - Email: b...@fx.dk
>

> Second message:
> Subject:Re: Error (still more problems)
> From:Bishop John Missing <************@************>
> Date:Mon, 11 Aug 2003 22:03:18 -0400
> To:F/X Communications <b...@fx.dk>
>
> I found that the dummy address had to be used everywhere, including in the PPPoE configuration
> file and that no other netmask than 255.255.255.0. I wonder whether that may cause me a
> problem because Verizon Online seems to have a netmask of 255.255.248.0!
> Now that I have the program running and not quitting before doing anything, I still don't manage
> to make a connection. I have attached the PPPoE.trc file.
>
> F/X Communications wrote:
>
>> The lan interface you install our driver to must be
>> assigned an ip address. For example 1.1.1.1. In other
>> words, you must go into the os2 tcpip configuration and make
>> active the lan card/interface and assign it a dummy
>> ip address. Hope this helps.
>>

> --
> Blessings,
> Archbishop John Missing
> (************@************.net OR bisho...@yahoo.com)
> (http://fellowship-of-mercy.faithweb.com)
> Glory to Jesus Christ!
> Glory to Him Forever!
>
> *** TRACE FILE FOR PPPOE PLUGIN - version 1.10

Blessings,
Archbishop John

Bjarne Jensen

Aug 19, 2003, 6:32:34 AM8/19/03
--Please-- point out where I lie in my posting!?

You said here that we didn't support you and yet in your second posting
today, there are multiple support e-mails from us. How can both things be
true? Let me paste one of our replies to just prove this:

> The lan interface you install our driver to must be
> assigned an ip address. For example 1.1.1.1. In other
> words, you must go into the os2 tcpip configuration and make
> active the lan card/interface and assign it a dummy
> ip address. Hope this helps.

So why would an archbishop directly lie about this and deliberately
cause damage to a company?

And, why would you not ask questions instead of outbursting that

"I wasted money on your software!!!"

Do you think the above sentense is worthy for an archbishop and
do you think it's a proper way to ask for support?

Your second posting today proves all this, so it's evident you are
lying - but where am I lying? Please show everyone where exactly
I'm lying!!! Expose it please, instead of making cheap claims!

"John Missing" <bishopjoh...@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message

John Missing

Aug 19, 2003, 1:16:26 PM8/19/03
I posted the full exchange of correspondence for anyone to judge. You
refused to address the defect in your software, refused to give any
effective support and yet you have no qualms about taking my money for
your defective product.

Bjarne Jensen wrote:
> --Please-- point out where I lie in my posting!?

YOU call me a liar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

James Moe

Aug 19, 2003, 8:42:28 PM8/19/03
John Missing wrote:
> [...] and yet you have no qualms about taking my money for
> your defective product.

Have you asked for your money back?

--
jimoe at sohnen-moe dot com

Bjarne Jensen

Aug 20, 2003, 5:48:57 AM8/20/03
> > --Please-- point out where I lie in my posting!?
> YOU call me a liar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me repeat what you did, for me to conclude that you are a liar:

1: First you publically said here that we didn't give support. It was a lie!

2: Then you poste our actual support replies, which proves the lie.

This means that your claim about our products lacking support
is simply FALSE. We did give you support!

I'll ask again. Do you not agree that we supported you up to

the point where you wrote:

"I wasted money on your software!!!"

You can argue our suppport didn't help you solve the problems,
but then you could just have said that politely and we would have
done whatever it takes. You had no reason to belittle us or show
this kind of disrespect.

I believe this closes the case on our part.

Good-bye John Missing.

Bjarne Jensen

Aug 20, 2003, 7:03:58 AM8/20/03
James,

John did not ask for a refund, but we would be happy to
refund John if he stops lying about us and start telling the
truth - namely that:

1: We actually did support John - just as his e-mail record shows.

2: Support was halted ONLY when John said "I wasted money on your
software!!!".

3: It was a lie when John stated our products lacked support, as he had
received
support and he been told exactly why we halted support (in e-mail).

This is exactly what John e-mail record shows - and if John doesn't feel the
above
is true, then I would again simply ask him to point out exactly where I'm
wrong.

If John maintains that we didn't support him and try to cause damage to our
company in this rediculous way, then he is lying and then his only rights
with
our company (or BMT) are through the court system.

"James Moe" <jimoe...@sohnen-moe.com> wrote in message

leto...@nospam.net

Aug 25, 2003, 10:18:35 PM8/25/03
In <vSrfmdoFuNkL-p...@nospam.nospam.net>, on 08/17/03
at 02:09 AM, "eric w" <er...@nospam.net> said:

>buy a cable/dsl router (they are real cheap).

>they all have PPPoE code builtin which is what you need to get going
>(plus you will get some protection from the jungle).

Is there a cable/dsl router that anyone "knows" will work with Verizon
DSL?

Mark Klebanoff

Aug 26, 2003, 5:21:49 AM8/26/03
I used to have verizon DSL and the Linksys router worked fine with the
Westel modem Verizon supplied. I got rid of the setup because Comcast
cable internet proved to be faster, more reliable and cheaper than
Verizon DSL.

Karlheinz Schmidthaus

Aug 31, 2003, 4:59:32 PM8/31/03
John Missing wrote:
> Beloved in Christ,
> After a horrible experience with the Injoy Firewall and PPPoE driver and
> their lack of support for their products, which, in the end, could not
> be configured because installing the driver interfered with MPTS
> configuration, and then discovering that ISDNPM doesn't support DHCP and
> finally finding that SafeFire seems to misread the configuration under
> MPTS, I am wondering whether there is any way to connect to Verizon
> Online DSL under OS/2.

If they use PPPoE it is not DHCP to get the ip address and nameserver
information. PPPoE means PPP over Ethernet and the Authentication and
configuration is done with PPP and ISDNPM 3.x supports that.

William L. Hartzell

Sep 17, 2003, 2:57:14 PM9/17/03
Sir: John Missing wrote: <snip> Sorry, but as this thread has drifted from the original question, may I add my two cents worth? Comcast has announced that it is increasing the download speed for its cable customers to 3 million bits per second. This is still not as good as At-Home offered (Ten Million bits per second), but much better than AT&T's T-1 rate, which they imposed upon us former At-Home users. IF you have a choice, you should get Comcast. In this town-Garland, TX. Verizon DSL offering is more expensive than Comcast's by $2.00 for 384 Kbps service, the last time I checked (eight months ago), but was unavailable to my neighborhood. Bill Thanks a Million!

Paul Russell

Dec 23, 2003, 5:47:16 AM12/23/03
Your really better off putting a LinkShi* router between you and the
internet.