DELL Latitude C600 & OS/2: how setup LAN & Modem ?

Warped

Dec 18, 2003, 1:55:41 PM12/18/03
Hi all

Has anybody any experience with setting-up LAN & Modem drivers in Dell
Latitude C600 laptop & OS2/eCs ?

Lan hardware is 3Com 3C556 10/100 MiniPCI Lan adapter
Modem is 3Com 3C556 V.90 MiniPCI Modem

On 3Com site for this chipset are drivers, but only for
DOS/Netware/Windows.
On NicPack there is listed hardware with similar name (but not exact
the same). Suggested driver is el90x.os2. It looks like it is for
3C9xx family. My Laptop hardware is 3C556, so it is not strange that
this driver doesn't recognize my hardware.

Where should I look for any solution ?

--
cYa, 3.14iotr/2
Dobry programista wiesza się z programem....

Zwrotne bajty daj na "warpme_r...@o2.pl"

Karlheinz Schmidthaus

Dec 18, 2003, 5:22:51 PM12/18/03
Warped wrote:

> Lan hardware is 3Com 3C556 10/100 MiniPCI Lan adapter

What device ID does your 3com nic have?

Regards,

Karlheinz

Warped

Dec 19, 2003, 11:58:56 AM12/19/03
Karlheinz Schmidthaus <ksng...@ksit.de> wrote:

> Warped wrote:
> >
> > Lan hardware is 3Com 3C556 10/100 MiniPCI Lan adapter
>
> What device ID does your 3com nic have?

Vendor: 10B7h
Device: 6055h (3C556 10/100 Mini PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter)

On Linux forums I saw info that drivers for 3C59x are working OK. But
as I can guess - OS/2 drivers are checking DevID - so it is normal
that 3C556 isn't recognized by 3C59x driver. Is there any way to patch
3C59x drivers ?

Thanx in advance for help !

Karlheinz Schmidthaus

Dec 19, 2003, 12:50:45 PM12/19/03
Hello.

Warped wrote:

>>>Lan hardware is 3Com 3C556 10/100 MiniPCI Lan adapter
>>
>>What device ID does your 3com nic have?
>

> Vendor: 10B7h
> Device: 6055h (3C556 10/100 Mini PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter)

This Device is listet in the list of the supported devices of the genmac
driver from Willibald Meyer. Write me an eMail and I will send you the
driver. The only thing I ask you for to do is to write a test report of
success (or not) with this driver.

Regards,

Karlheinz

Karlheinz Schmidthaus

Dec 20, 2003, 2:10:41 PM12/20/03
Hello Piotr.

I'm sorry to tell you that the eMail with the driver was coming back.

The note was: Remote host said: 550 <......pl>: User unknown in virtual
alias table

Send me a eMail with a working reply - mail address please.

Regards,

Karlheinz

Warped

Jan 6, 2004, 3:38:21 PM1/6/04
Karlheinz Schmidthaus <ksng...@ksit.de> wrote:

Karlheinz,

I had already contact with Willibald. He was so kind and send me
20-dec build of GENMAC320.
Unfortunately there is some problems with proper operation of my
hardware & Willi's driver.
I sent him debug info twice - few week ago, but until today no any
replay.

My questions are:
-is this project still alive ?
-is there somebody willing to help me with remotely checking - are
interrupts configured OK on my hardware (I has suspect that driver
might not work because it didn't receive interrupts).

If You wish - please contact me via e-mail: war...@o2.pl

Best regards

Andy Willis

Jan 6, 2004, 5:43:42 PM1/6/04

I have this card in my Dell 8100
Vendor 10B7h 3COM Corp, Networking Division
Device 6055h 3C556 10/100 Mini PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
and it doesn't work with the May build of the genmac driver. I sent a
report and was requested to send a log in and have done so. Have
heard nothing since then but I think the problem on my machine may be
because it is trying to share the irq with the USB. I do know he is
actively working on the project but as to this card on the Dell's I
don't know.
Andy

Karlheinz Schmidthaus

Jan 8, 2004, 8:30:29 PM1/8/04
Andy Willis wrote:

> I have this card in my Dell 8100
> Vendor 10B7h 3COM Corp, Networking Division
> Device 6055h 3C556 10/100 Mini PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
> and it doesn't work with the May build of the genmac driver. I sent a
> report and was requested to send a log in and have done so. Have
> heard nothing since then but I think the problem on my machine may be
> because it is trying to share the irq with the USB. I do know he is
> actively working on the project but as to this card on the Dell's I
> don't know.
> Andy

Yes, he is working on the project. But he is doing this in his spare time.

Regards,

Karlheinz