Feature Installer

Ola A Johansson

Apr 28, 2003, 12:12:00 AM4/28/03
Hi All!

Since the guys at IBM has been nice enough to protect me from this
dangerous piece of IBM-code.
Is there anyone out there who knows somewhere I can download a
reasonably current version of the "Feature Installer-package"?

Don't really know why I'm still fighting to get my old Warp4-copy
running, but at least it keeps me buzy 'til I get my copy of eCS1.1 .
:-)

TIA /Ola J

Buddy Donnelly

Apr 30, 2003, 11:21:10 AM4/30/03
On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 04:12:00 UTC, Ola A Johansson <whe...@telia.com>
wrote:

> Hi All!
>
> Since the guys at IBM has been nice enough to protect me from this
> dangerous piece of IBM-code.

Damn, you're right. Disappeared in the night. (So probably a good idea
to upload this one to hobbes, too.)

> Is there anyone out there who knows somewhere I can download a
> reasonably current version of the "Feature Installer-package"?

This search link provides some file locations to try:
http://www.filesearching.com/cgi-bin/s?q=firunpkg*.zip

By the way, a little Henk Kelder utility named MAKEFI comes in handy
repairing FI stuff around here:
http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/util/misc/makefi.zip

--
Good luck,
Buddy

Ola A Johansson

May 1, 2003, 6:05:27 PM5/1/03

Buddy Donnelly wrote:

> This search link provides some file locations to try:
> http://www.filesearching.com/cgi-bin/s?q=firunpkg*.zip
>
> By the way, a little Henk Kelder utility named MAKEFI comes in handy
> repairing FI stuff around here:
> http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/util/misc/makefi.zip
>
> --
> Good luck,
> Buddy
> Buddy Donnelly <buddy.d...@verizon.net>

Thanks Buddy!

I got Feature Installer l.2.5 from "weird.da.ru/pub/OS2/firunpkg.zip"

But when I click "fisetup.exe" to install it.
My system goes into an eternal loop with a popup telling me "installing
system" or preparing or whatever it says, and then there's another popup
telling me to close all programs and windows since it wants to refresh my
desktop.
But when the desktop comes back it just starts over again, and again..

Anobody knows what might make it do this?

TIA /Ola J

Buddy Donnelly

May 1, 2003, 8:22:28 PM5/1/03
On Thu, 1 May 2003 22:05:27 UTC, Ola A Johansson <whe...@telia.com>
wrote:

> > This search link provides some file locations to try:
> > http://www.filesearching.com/cgi-bin/s?q=firunpkg*.zip
> >
> > By the way, a little Henk Kelder utility named MAKEFI comes in handy
> > repairing FI stuff around here:
> > http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/util/misc/makefi.zip

> I got Feature Installer l.2.5 from "weird.da.ru/pub/OS2/firunpkg.zip"

> But when I click "fisetup.exe" to install it.
> My system goes into an eternal loop with a popup telling me "installing
> system" or preparing or whatever it says, and then there's another popup
> telling me to close all programs and windows since it wants to refresh my
> desktop.
> But when the desktop comes back it just starts over again, and again..
>
> Anobody knows what might make it do this?

No, but just try one of the other downloads and see if it repeats.

Feature(s) Install is probably one of the worst executed IBM Bright
Ideas in history. Here, it *always* gets broken between uses, and
application distributions that depend on it are considered Painful
Obligations while they sit there until I get time and a clear enough
head to re-deal with the fussiness of FI.

I'm hoping the FI originators, but especially the endorsers above them
in the IBM hierarchy who approved it, are rotting or rusting in some
special corner of Micro$oft BOB Hell these days.

Ola A Johansson

May 2, 2003, 8:09:44 AM5/2/03

Buddy Donnelly wrote:

Thanks for the advice!

I went out and got FI1.2.3 from "ftp.uni-duisburg.de/Os2/firunpkg.zip"
So now I'll try that one instead.
Would it be a good idea to delete fi.ini before I retry, or doesn't it make any
differance?

TIA /Ola J

Buddy Donnelly

May 2, 2003, 11:28:42 AM5/2/03
On Fri, 2 May 2003 12:09:44 UTC, Ola A Johansson <whe...@telia.com>
wrote:

> I went out and got FI1.2.3 from "ftp.uni-duisburg.de/Os2/firunpkg.zip"
> So now I'll try that one instead.
> Would it be a good idea to delete fi.ini before I retry, or doesn't it make any
> differance?

I've never seen that it makes any difference, but it probably can't
hurt.

In my experience, I've had to just get and install FI as if I'd never
had it before, every time it was needed for something. A self-breaking
program if ever there was one.

Ola A Johansson

May 3, 2003, 3:24:35 PM5/3/03

Buddy Donnelly wrote:

> On Fri, 2 May 2003 12:09:44 UTC, Ola A Johansson <whe...@telia.com>
> wrote:
>

> > I went out and got FI1.2.3 from "ftp.uni-duisburg.de/Os2/firunpkg.zip"
> > So now I'll try that one instead.
> > Would it be a good idea to delete fi.ini before I retry, or doesn't it make any
> > differance?
>
> I've never seen that it makes any difference, but it probably can't
> hurt.
>
> In my experience, I've had to just get and install FI as if I'd never
> had it before, every time it was needed for something. A self-breaking

> program if ever there was one.Now if I can get it to complete it's install-process.

Now, if I get it to complete its install-process.
How do I tell for sure if it's properly installed, and what version I'm running?

TIA /Ola J

Buddy Donnelly

May 3, 2003, 5:29:18 PM5/3/03
On Sat, 3 May 2003 19:24:35 UTC, Ola A Johansson <whe...@telia.com>
wrote:

> Now, if I get it to complete its install-process.
> How do I tell for sure if it's properly installed, and what version I'm running?

It is so touchy about its own self, that if you get to the end panel
that shows success, you're probably successful. It's much more likely
to stop along the way and you'll see that failure clearly in the HTML
pages.

As to FI version, the package you are trying to install with FI will
know whether or not the version you've got is the correct one. I guess
the final one was v.1.25 or thereabouts, and I'd assume it works for
everything before that.

(Of course there's probably version info in the FI Setup files, but I
try to avoid looking inside all that mess.)

Ola A Johansson

May 4, 2003, 2:12:28 PM5/4/03
Hi Buddy!

Thanks for all your advise so far, and the story continues...

Buddy Donnelly wrote:

> On Sat, 3 May 2003 19:24:35 UTC, Ola A Johansson <whe...@telia.com>
> wrote:
>

> > Now, if I get it to complete its install-process.
> > How do I tell for sure if it's properly installed, and what version I'm running?
>
> It is so touchy about its own self, that if you get to the end panel
> that shows success, you're probably successful. It's much more likely
> to stop along the way and you'll see that failure clearly in the HTML
> pages.

I never got any "success"-message, but it seemsto have installed correctly anyway.
At least I managed to get Java1.1.8 installed through it on a couple of boxes.

Only I was a bit clumsy and put Java1.1.8 on 1 machine too many.
LVM-GUI on my old Aurora-preview didn't appreciate the change in Javaversion at all..

Any hints on the best way to backlevel the Java to 1.1.6 that it had before, or
uplevel to a newer version that can handle LVM-GUI?

Ah, well.. Maybe not worth the effort, since I'm getting eCS1.1 delivered in a few
weeks...

Greetings /Ola J