BA/2000 problem with Remote Agents and Peer IP08605 Fixpak

Eric Erickson

Apr 4, 2004, 12:00:15 PM4/4/04
Has anyone else, who may be running BA/2000 Remote Workstation Agents seen
this problem?

The whole problem stems from
the application of Peer fixpack ip8605 to a MCP or eComstation V1.1
System. Before application of this Fixpak a telnet into the station,
using the port supplied by Brent gives:

+OK Back Again/2000 RFS Agent <0001.00d1ef10@Barad-Dur> [OS2]

After application of IP8605 you get

+OK Back Again/2000 RFS Agent <0001.00d1ef10@Barad-Dur> [OS2][SVR]

Now is seems obvious to me that the [SVR] makes BackAgain/2000 think
the remote station is a WSeB machine and of course is ineligible,
since I don't have a license and the subsequent registration key
required. Now I really don't want to remove IP08605 to use the Remote
Agents on my workstations.

Eric Erickson
Elvish Software Foundry, Inc. - Internet: dro...@vnetAntiSpam.net

Are you going to Warpstock 2004?
Denver, Colorado Oct 21 - 24, 2004
http://www.warpstock.org

Joe Suttle

Apr 10, 2004, 7:06:11 PM4/10/04
I have had this problem since last October! What port are you talking
about for test purposes? AND, if that is the case, then the new CDS
needs to help us all out with the correct licenses or something.

Joe Suttle

Apr 10, 2004, 8:06:14 PM4/10/04
You are exactly right, when I telnet to port 19283 I get the same message that
you got, with the addition of "[CMP]". Why has it been so hard to get
CDS/IntraDyn to give us some answers. Maybe what we need to do not is lobby for
a free license swap if what we have is really MCP2 or FP IP8605.

From my server, it did "telnet 192.168.100.9 19283 and got back...
+OK Back Again/2000 RFS Agent <0006.197a6627@HERCULES> [OS2][SVR][CMP]

Thanks for pointing me in a new direction - I now know what to ask for when I
call them on Monday. They have an answer, they just need to figure out the delta
to get it fixed!

Doug Bissett

Apr 11, 2004, 11:51:34 AM4/11/04
On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 00:06:14 UTC, Joe Suttle <joes...@attglobal.net>
wrote:

> Thanks for pointing me in a new direction - I now know what to ask for when I
> call them on Monday. They have an answer, they just need to figure out the delta
> to get it fixed!

Some time ago, I reported a problem, complete with details, and a
suggestion to be able to fix the problem. NOTHING was done about it.
Before that, I had reported a problem ( a very easy way to lose data,
with version 3.0a), that I was told would be fixed in update 3.0b
(never happened). About 6 months later, version 4 was released, and
the bug was fixed in it, but the fix was never released for V3 (I know
they had the fix, they just never released it).

I am totally disgusted with CDS (now Intradyn), and their product.
They had a GREAT product, until V3 came out, but it has been going
downhill, quickly, since then, and CDS didn't seem to have any
interest in fixing the problems. Perhaps, Intradyn will take a bit
more interest (but I wouldn't bet on it). I am going to switch to
using one of the tools, that have been showing up at HOBBES, using
either RAR, or ARJ, to do backups. At least there is a better chance
that I can get something fixed.

Good luck...
--
From the eComStation 1.1 of Doug Bissett
doug dot bissett at attglobal dot net

Minnie Bannister

Apr 11, 2004, 6:35:04 PM4/11/04
The trouble with the recent backup solutions that hav shown up on Hobbes
is that they do not (as far as I have been able to see) handle tapes as
a destination and therefore require too much user intervention for large
backups, even if DVDs are used as the backup medium. My weekly backups,
for example, take three or four DDS4 tapes (60GB to 80GB uncompressed).

MB

On 04/11/04 11:51 am Doug Bissett put fingers to keyboard and launched
the following message into cyberspace:

Doug Bissett

Apr 13, 2004, 4:46:16 PM4/13/04
On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 22:35:04 UTC, Minnie Bannister
<GoonButNo...@myob.net> wrote:

> The trouble with the recent backup solutions that hav shown up on Hobbes
> is that they do not (as far as I have been able to see) handle tapes as
> a destination and therefore require too much user intervention for large
> backups, even if DVDs are used as the backup medium. My weekly backups,
> for example, take three or four DDS4 tapes (60GB to 80GB uncompressed).
>
> MB

That is a problem, but I have always questioned the wisdom of using
tape as a backup medium. Tape is far too delicate for something like
that, and it is far too easy to damage it. For the last few years, I
have been using an ORB drive (removable media disk), for backups, and
it has worked well, even though the disks seem to want to develop bad
spots, far more often than they should. If I was going to find a new
backup system, I would look for one of those hot plug units, that can
allow me to use a regular hard disk, as a plugin unit. They would be
FAST, and far more reliable than any tape, or "floppy" type of
removable disk system. The only thing that you really need to do, is
be sure that it is packaged in some protective way (like in the
original packaging), when it is not in the machine. The current price
of 120 GiB hard disks, is low enough, that you could have one of
those, for about what it costs for a tape drive, and a dozen tapes,
and it can also be used as a normal disk drive, if you ever find a
need for that.

Hope this helps...

Minnie Bannister

Apr 14, 2004, 2:58:21 PM4/14/04
I keep multiple generations of backups on DDS tapes, one set of tapes
for each week of a two-month period (e.g., "Sunday Week 1 Odd", "Sunday
Week 3 Even"), so even if I lost a tape, or it became unreadable, it
would not mean the total loss of all my files. In addition, I make
another set of tapes from time to time to keep off site. The tape drive
warns me when a tape has too many errors (I can't recall it happening,
except with a tape that had been used for daily differential backups for
a long time), and Sony (the drive manufacturer) makes a utility (Windoze
only, and I haven't tried it yet) that is supposed to tell me how many
times a tape has been used -- if I wanted a few extra ounces of prevention.

The last few lots of tape I have bought have been cartons of ten sealed
Sony DDS3 or DDS4 tapes on eBay auctions for no more than US$25
including shipping. One lot of twelve new DDS4 tapes cost only $10 plus
shipping, IIRC -- lousy description: it looked as though the auction was
for a single tape.

I could not possibly get this many generations of backups as
conveniently or as affordably using hard drives, despite the plummeting
prices of the latter.

YMMV.

MB

On 04/13/04 04:46 pm Doug Bissett put fingers to keyboard and launched

the following message into cyberspace:

>>The trouble with the recent backup solutions that hav shown up on Hobbes

>>is that they do not (as far as I have been able to see) handle tapes as
>>a destination and therefore require too much user intervention for large
>>backups, even if DVDs are used as the backup medium. My weekly backups,
>>for example, take three or four DDS4 tapes (60GB to 80GB uncompressed).

> That is a problem, but I have always questioned the wisdom of using

Minnie Bannister

Apr 16, 2004, 9:54:12 AM4/16/04
. . . and then there is the questionable durability of hard disks when
they are mounted in removable carriers or the like and shuffled around
from place to place. I had used a hard disk in an outboard
USB-or-FireWire enclosure to backup a Windozze notebook. Yesterday the
hd was unreadable: "Read error on track 0," so I think we have to say
"Goodbye" to the stuff that was on it.

MB

Doug Bissett

Apr 16, 2004, 3:15:03 PM4/16/04
On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 13:54:12 UTC, Minnie Bannister
<GoonButNo...@myob.net> wrote:

> . . . and then there is the questionable durability of hard disks when
> they are mounted in removable carriers or the like and shuffled around
> from place to place. I had used a hard disk in an outboard
> USB-or-FireWire enclosure to backup a Windozze notebook. Yesterday the
> hd was unreadable: "Read error on track 0," so I think we have to say
> "Goodbye" to the stuff that was on it.
>
> MB

Hard disks do require gentle handling, but before you say goodbye to
the data, see if DFSEE can recover the disk:

http://www.dfsee.com/dfsee.htm

It would be far better, to use hard disks, that are used in laptops,
for things like that. They are designed to take more punishment.

Joe Suttle

Apr 17, 2004, 2:50:32 PM4/17/04
After at least four (4) emails to Intradyn (support and sales), I am beginning
to wonder if they really exist. I have asked them to at least acknowledge that
they have gotten my emails or looked at their forums or this list

AND NOTHING!

Before I upgrade to ECS I would like to do a backup without moving the backup
drive from one machine to another. I have ECS and BA2K. Is this so hard for them
to fix. I asked them to figure out what we OS/2 users would have to do to
resolve this - just give us a dollar cost and let us make the decision.

Well, on Monday, I start the endless round of phone calls to reach a live body -
I'll even push to reach the President of the company if I have to. A week of no
response(S) is uncalled for from any business (unless they don't want our
business anymore?).

Joe Suttle wrote:
> From my server, it did "telnet 192.168.100.9 19283 and got back...
> +OK Back Again/2000 RFS Agent <0006.197a6627@HERCULES> [OS2][SVR][CMP]
>
> Thanks for pointing me in a new direction

Minnie Bannister

Apr 17, 2004, 7:08:51 PM4/17/04
You could try emailing Brent Bowlby, the Pres. of CDS. His email address
is/was <surname> AT cds-inc.com.

MB

On 04/17/04 02:50 pm Joe Suttle put fingers to keyboard and launched the
following message into cyberspace:

> After at least four (4) emails to Intradyn (support and sales), I am

Minnie Bannister

Apr 17, 2004, 7:43:58 PM4/17/04
It was dfsee that gave me the error message. Windozzze itself (and even
Norton DiskDoctor -- or whatever the appropriate SystemWorks module is
called) just huffed and puffed and couldn't see the drive(s).

MB

On 04/16/04 03:15 pm Doug Bissett put fingers to keyboard and launched

the following message into cyberspace:

>>. . . and then there is the questionable durability of hard disks when

>>they are mounted in removable carriers or the like and shuffled around
>>from place to place. I had used a hard disk in an outboard
>>USB-or-FireWire enclosure to backup a Windozze notebook. Yesterday the
>>hd was unreadable: "Read error on track 0," so I think we have to say
>>"Goodbye" to the stuff that was on it.

> Hard disks do require gentle handling, but before you say goodbye to

Joe Suttle

Apr 17, 2004, 9:05:16 PM4/17/04
I have response, even on a Saturday. Hopefully some action will be taken by
Intradyn. To receive a response on Saturday is impressive, so hopefully someone
will start to look more closely at things.

I will keep these lists and the Yahoo Groups notified.

Eric Erickson

Apr 23, 2004, 12:24:57 AM4/23/04
On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 23:06:11 GMT, Joe Suttle wrote:

>I have had this problem since last October! What port are you talking
>about for test purposes? AND, if that is the case, then the new CDS
>needs to help us all out with the correct licenses or something.
>Eric Erickson wrote:
>> Has anyone else, who may be running BA/2000 Remote Workstation Agents seen
>> this problem?
>>
>> The whole problem stems from
>> the application of Peer fixpack ip8605 to a MCP or eComstation V1.1
>> System. Before application of this Fixpak a telnet into the station,
>> using the port supplied by Brent gives:
>>
>> +OK Back Again/2000 RFS Agent <0001.00d1ef10@Barad-Dur> [OS2]
>>
>> After application of IP8605 you get
>>
>> +OK Back Again/2000 RFS Agent <0001.00d1ef10@Barad-Dur> [OS2][SVR]
>>
>> Now is seems obvious to me that the [SVR] makes BackAgain/2000 think
>> the remote station is a WSeB machine and of course is ineligible,
>> since I don't have a license and the subsequent registration key
>> required. Now I really don't want to remove IP08605 to use the Remote
>> Agents on my workstations.

Here is a clip from the email I got from Brent (in January) which was the
last communication with anyone at CDS or who ever they are now.

------

From the machine that is running BA2k server, go to an
OS/2 window and "telnet" to the remote machine that is running
the agent that you are having problems connecting to. When you
telnet, use the following parameters:

Telnet <machine ip> 19283

You should get a window that displays information about the CDS Remote Agent.

--------------

I've been sending emails ever since with absolutely no response from any at
the company. I guess I'm just going to have to get on the phone soon and try
to get some answers.

Eric Erickson

Apr 23, 2004, 12:24:59 AM4/23/04

What did they say when you called them. I about to call them too. I'm really
an unhappy customer at this point.

Eric Erickson

May 4, 2004, 7:01:27 PM5/4/04
Joe,

Did you ever get ahold of someone at Intradyn? I've been too busy/lazy to
pick up the phone myself and was wondering if you ever got a response?