Installing OS/2 on my laptop

Reizla

Apr 24, 2002, 8:47:53 AM4/24/02
Hello all,

It's been a long time since I've been here, but as things go, you
discover that some things are better than other. In my case I had to
change to Windows because of some programs I run, but I think there's a
good way around that problem as well (I still have an old PC for those).

To start with I wanted to install OS/2 Merlin on my laptop (Acer
Travelmate 202T). This laptop has a Xircom Realbus 10/100 Ethernet card.
And there comes the problem. For some reason I can't seem to install the
drivers for the card. The PCMCIA is from O2Micro, and is compatible with
Intel 82365SL. Since the IBM Thinkpad 230 has the Intel 83265 chipset, I
figured that I could use that one. Is this right, or is the installation
of the ethernet card wrong?

An other thing could be the lack of the appropriate FP. I'm currently
busy creating the disks for FP 15 and retry the installation of the card
again.

Alex

John Poltorak

Apr 24, 2002, 11:30:05 AM4/24/02
Reizla wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>It's been a long time since I've been here, but as things go, you
>discover that some things are better than other. In my case I had to
>change to Windows because of some programs I run, but I think there's a
>good way around that problem as well (I still have an old PC for those).
>
>To start with I wanted to install OS/2 Merlin on my laptop (Acer
>Travelmate 202T). This laptop has a Xircom Realbus 10/100 Ethernet card.
>And there comes the problem. For some reason I can't seem to install the
>drivers for the card.

Are you sure that OS/2 drivers are available for this card.

I didn't think they were...

--
John

Reizla

Apr 24, 2002, 12:35:31 PM4/24/02
Op 24-04-2002, 17:30:05, schreef John Poltorak <j...@eyup.org> over het thema
Re: Installing OS/2 on my laptop:

I'm beginning to think you're right. The PCMCIA bus is Intel 82365SL PCIC
compatible, and I can't seem to fins any drivers for it. Only Marge has
written something that should be compatible, and I'm now downloading it.

An other problem I came across (still testing though) is the USB on the
laptop. That one doesn't seem to be too willing to run with OS/2 as
well...

Alex

R. G. Newbury

Apr 24, 2002, 1:42:53 PM4/24/02
On Wed, 24 Apr 2002 12:47:53, Reizla <reizla...@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> To start with I wanted to install OS/2 Merlin on my laptop (Acer
> Travelmate 202T). This laptop has a Xircom Realbus 10/100 Ethernet card.
> And there comes the problem. For some reason I can't seem to install the
> drivers for the card. The PCMCIA is from O2Micro, and is compatible with
> Intel 82365SL. Since the IBM Thinkpad 230 has the Intel 83265 chipset, I
> figured that I could use that one. Is this right, or is the installation
> of the ethernet card wrong?
>
> An other thing could be the lack of the appropriate FP. I'm currently
> busy creating the disks for FP 15 and retry the installation of the card
> again.

YOu do not state whether you are trying to access the Xircom using the
PCMCIA system (playwill or director: pcmcia.sys etc.).
The NIC side of the Xircom card *only* needs the NDIS driver in order
to work. Use it *exactly* as if it were a PCI slot card in a desktop.
You only need *ONE* line added to a peer or Lan setup: the line for
the NDIS driver.

That said, you may have problems finding a driver. The Xircom web-site
does have drivers for the Cardbus and Realbus cards. You may have to
download a compendium file (about 1.5 Meg in size) to find the OS/2
drivers however. My RBE-100 card uses a driver named CBE.OS2. So you
might want to try some drivers which don't *look* like they would
work.

After installing the driver, you will likely see about five lines
scroll through on-screen (in bright green) during boot, but the card
may not work yet.

The default installation will force the card to use the PCI interface
on IRQ-11. To get the card to work, change to ISA interface and IRQ-9.
You do this in MPTN. Now you should see about 12 lines reported during
boot and it should work completely.

Good luck.

Geoff

Filip Westers

Apr 24, 2002, 5:37:12 PM4/24/02

I have a Xircom creditcard 10/100 + 56 modem and there are drivers
available at the Intel site.
Are you sure you have a Xircom Realbus, shouldn't it be a Realport or
Cardbus?
Download the drivers for dos/win 3.1 and you probably find a NDIS2
directory
with OS/2 drivers.

--
cheers
Filip Westers

Assover

May 2, 2002, 12:17:02 AM5/2/02
Xircom LAN cards, as I understand it and from my own experience, will
NOT work if the PCMCIA slot you insert it into is enabled by the
PCMCIA servies in OS/2.

I tried this solution and it worked:

Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 20:44:39 -0700
From: "Keith Medcalf" <kmed...@dessus.com >
To: os2...@stat.com, o...@neonpuppy.com
Subject: Toshiba PCMCIA support and Xircom Network Cards

Not a question but some information for people who may have to
configure Toshiba (or any other PCMCIA Laptop) with a combination of
PCMCIA (eg, Adaptec APA-1640 SCSI card) and Point Enabled (eg Xircom
10/100 Ethernet card).

First, a description of the problem:

Hardware: 1 Toshiba T2130 Laptop (all PCMCIA adapters will be
similar)
1 Xircom Ethernet PCMCIA card
1 Adaptec APA-1640 SCSI PCMCIA card
1 Modem PCMCIA Card

Problem: The Network (Xircom) card is Point Enabled by the network
drivers
and IS NOT supported by Card and Socket services. There
are many
PCMCIA network cards with OS/2 drivers falling into this
category.

The APA-1640 card and the Modem card are NOT Point enabled
and
REQUIRE card and socket services.

Result Desired: Remote Install Warp 4 on the Laptop and end up with
both the Point enabled network card working *AND*
card and socket support for the other cards.

Installation Procedure:

1) Create Remote Install Diskettes with the Xircom drivers on them.
DO NOT SELECT PCMCIA SUPPORT OR IT WILL NOT WORK

2) Remote Install Warp but DO NOT install PCMCIA support.

3) Find the settings (Port, IRQ, Mem) used by the network card
(which
are set in the \IBMCOM\PROTOCOL.INI), add
BASEDEV=RESERVE.SYS /P:xxx,yy /IRQ:z /MEM:ddddd,tttt /EXC
before any other basedevs load to reserve the space for the
point
enabled card. See the card documentation for the yy and tttt
(range length) parameters. Note these values (except IRQ) are
all
in HEX.

4) Reboot and make sure everything works still.

5) Selective Install PCMCIA support.

6) BEFORE REBOOTING, edit the config.sys and find the Socket
Services
driver (BASEDEV=SS02PCIC1.SYS for example) and add the switches:
/NC0=x where x is the slot you put the network (point enabled)
card into. Remove any switches which the installer placed on
the
BASEDEV=PCMCIA.SYS line.

7) Reboot. You now have one socket reserved for the Network card
in
point-enabler mode, and you have standard PCMCIA support for
whatever
you put in the other socket.

The RESERVE.SYS is required to ensure that the resources needed to
enable the network card are not used by other BASEDEVs before the
DEVICE statements are processed.

Keith Medcalf (416) 410-5791 http://www.dessus.com/ Finger
or email kmedca...@dessus.com for my PGP Public Key

If you want to use the other PCMCIA port for another reason, the
driver you should use, if you are right in saying its the same PCIMCIA
controlller as used in the thinkpads, may be the PC CARD DIRECTOR
available from the Thinkpad support site - Look under 380D or similar.

GOOD LUCK!

Wayne

May 2, 2002, 6:48:03 AM5/2/02
On 1 May 2002 21:17:02 -0700, Assover wrote:

:>Xircom LAN cards, as I understand it and from my own experience, will

:>NOT work if the PCMCIA slot you insert it into is enabled by the
:>PCMCIA servies in OS/2.

Yes, on Thinkpads, for example, you must tell the PC Card Services
Director to ignore the slot the Xircom card is in. I use a CE3B-100BTX
here.

Cheers

Wayne
--

Wayne Bickell
Tokyo, Japan

R. G. Newbury

May 2, 2002, 10:57:42 AM5/2/02
Thanks for the step by step. I spent a *lot* of time getting my
Xircom card to work before I realized that Card and Socket Services
was actually the problem: it was in the way!

A comment on step number 3: The default IRQ and Channel will likely
not be correct. With a Xircom RBE-100 (and with others as reported
here) the defaults will be 'PCI bus' and IRQ 11 These do not in fact
work: the card will not communicate. Changing the settings to 'Force
ISA Bus' equal to 'YES' (and PCI no) and using IRQ 9 will work. This
change can be done in protocol.ini or in MPTS. With the 'wrong'
settings, the card will display only about 4 or 5 lines during
config.sys processing. With the 'right' settings, the line display
will jump to 13 lines (all in colour, unlike the usual white on black
config.sys output).
Putting a non-existent device driver line in config,sys immediately
after the cbendis.os2 driver line forces a pause so you can see the
output of the driver (I use device=c:\stop.sys).

Geoff