Help needed with AWSTATS on Apache/2

Matt Ion

Oct 4, 2003, 1:04:11 AM10/4/03
Having a problem with AWSTATS (Perl logfile analyzer/stats generator)
running on WSeB against Apache/2 logs... actually, I doubt the problem has
anything to do with Apache itself; it seems to be a system problem.

When you run an update, it's supposed to read in the exising stats database
(awstats%month/year%.uniquename.txt), parse any unique new information in
the specified logfile and write it to a temporary database
(awstats%month/year%.uniquename.tmp.%pid%), then it attempts to rename the
temp database to replace the existing database. In short, it's trying to do
REN FILE2 FILE1 where FILE1 already exists. The following error is the
result:
Warning: Failed to rename "./awstats102003.moltenimage.com.tmp.280" into
"./awstats102003.moltenimage.com.txt".
Write permissions on "awstats102003.moltenimage.com.txt" might be wrong for
an 'update from web' or file might be opened.

Of course, OS/2 doesn't allow this.

I've had to preface the AWSTATS script with 'extproc perl -S' to make it run
with Apache, as apparently nobody has released a version of Apache/2 with
mod_perl compiled, and that works fine... in fact, it all looks dandy (see
www.moltenimage.com/cgi-bin/awstats.cmd?config=moltenimage.com) except that
it won't update - I have to delete the old database (*.txt) so it can
re-write it. This will be fine until I start archiving old logfiles, in
which case AWSTATS will depend on its database for historical data.

Anyone else got this working? Anyone got any ideas? TIA...

--
"Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change."

Your friend and mine,
Matt Ion
Molten Image Media

Cees van Veelen

Oct 7, 2003, 11:39:48 AM10/7/03
On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 05:04:11 UTC, "Matt Ion" <sou...@moltenimage.com>
wrote:

I put the update commandline in a *.cmd as the second line. The first
line reads del *.txt. So the update starts from scratch

--
Greetings,
Cees van Veelen

Matt Ion

Oct 12, 2003, 10:21:50 PM10/12/03

"Cees van Veelen" <vveele...@xs4all.nl> wrote in message

This will cause a problem if you archive and remove your logfiles, as the
.txt files contain "historical" information already parsed from the logs.
It will also cause AWSTATS to fully re-read the logs, which can take a while
on busier sites.

Among other things, the *.txt files hold a pointer to the last line of the
logfile that's been read, so it can start processing the log from that point
on, rather than from the top.

You'll also notice that the name of each *.txt file includes the month and
year it was created it, and each month AWSTATS creates a new one. This
allows you to delete or archive your logfiles at month's end, while AWSTATS
can still maintain the stats for previous months.