Help required with peer install.

Steve Drewell

Jun 28, 2002, 7:32:53 PM6/28/02
I've been attempting to install peer networking so that I can utilise file
and print sharing. I added the NETBIOS protocol to my network adaptor and
then proceeded with "selective install for networking" and filled in the
necessary details for the file and print sharing option.

All appears to go smoothly up to the point where my machine is rebooted.
Firstly, I get an error in config.sys saying that it cannot find
IFNDIS.SYS (it's not on hard disk anywhere) and secondly, when the install
attempts to continue, I get the following error and the install simply
stops:

06-29-2002 00:05:48 SYS3175 PID 0039 TID 0002 Slot 004c
E:\IBMLAN\INSTALL\IBMLAN\INSTALL\PEERINST.PGM
c0000005
00065253
P1=00000008 P2=00004958 P3=XXXXXXXX P4=XXXXXXXX
EAX=0000010f EBX=0000003b ECX=00000003 EDX=c4180000
ESI=006902bc EDI=00270001
DS=010f DSACC=00f3 DSLIM=0000e25f
ES=010f ESACC=00f3 ESLIM=0000e25f
FS=150b FSACC=00f3 FSLIM=00000030
GS=0000 GSACC=**** GSLIM=********
CS:EIP=0037:00005253 CSACC=00fb CSLIM=0000dd05
SS:ESP=0347:000039a2 SSACC=00f3 SSLIM=00003fff
EBP=006939b2 FLG=00012212

PEERINST.PGM 0005:00005253

I am running Warp 4 FP15 and am attempting to install file and print
sharing from the original Warp 4 CD.

Am I doing something wrong? Any help and advise would be appreciated.

Cheers,
--
Steve Drewell (Remove x. from address to reply)
Using IBM OS/2 Warp 4 running 34 processes with 129 threads.

William L. Hartzell

Jun 28, 2002, 9:12:09 PM6/28/02
Sir:

What I about to say may not be the easiest way to get it installed, but
it worked for me. I made the floppy disks for Peer from the Warp 4 cd.
I also made the disks for the last fixpack for Peer Ip08614. I copied
the contents of the ip fixpack to a temp folder, unzipping as I went and
ran the peerinst/Laninst from it. It asked for the original disks and I
installed Peer to the final location. Then after a reboot, I updated
the peer install with the fxpack. Did it this way in order to get the
configuration files in useable order, instead of using the unzipped
fixpack program, which appears to be a complete replacement for Peer.
If at a later time you need to run the Peer install program again
because you've changed something in MPTS, you'll be asked for the
original install disks. Later you'll have to reapply the fixpack. So
never commit to this fixpack. Note that any change to MPTS requires
running the Laninst program to update Peer configuration files.

Two things you should note. One: the ifndis.sys is no longer used with
later version of MPTS. Two: the original install has problems with
path/libpath/etc. lines in config.sys being longer than 256 characters.
--
Bill
<American Independence's Day is the Fourth of July>

Steve Drewell

Jun 30, 2002, 3:53:49 PM6/30/02
On Sat, 29 Jun 2002 at 01:12 GMT, "William L. Hartzell"
<wlhar...@attbi.com> wrote:

>Two things you should note. One: the ifndis.sys is no longer used with
>later version of MPTS. Two: the original install has problems with
>path/libpath/etc. lines in config.sys being longer than 256 characters.

I have managed to get through most of the install for peer networking by
severely limiting the length of all lines in config.sys. However, towards
the end, something didn't quite go right, as seen in the log:

[Sun Jun 30 18:55:52] MPTS install is starting.
[Sun Jun 30 18:55:54] MPTS install was successful.
[Sun Jun 30 18:55:55] OS/2 Peer install is starting.
[Sun Jun 30 18:56:49] OS/2 Peer install was successful.
[Sun Jun 30 18:56:50] NSC install is starting.
[Sun Jun 30 18:56:53] Product Returned 0x1604, Unexpected condition. [Sun
Jun 30 18:56:53] NSC install failed.
[Sun Jun 30 18:56:53] LAN CID Utility Delete install is starting. [Sun Jun
30 18:56:53] LAN CID Utility Delete install was successful.

I also don't have anything in the Connections->Network->Network Services
folder.

What is NSC? What could have caused it's installation to fail?

As always, any help or advise will be greatly appreciated since I'm a
novice when it comes to networking.

Cheers,
--
Steve Drewell (Remove x. from address to reply)

Using IBM OS/2 Warp 4 running 43 processes with 160 threads.
Machine uptime is 0 days, 0 hours, 53 mins and 17 secs.

William L. Hartzell

Jun 30, 2002, 9:12:14 PM6/30/02
Sir:

Steve Drewell wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Jun 2002 at 01:12 GMT, "William L. Hartzell"
> <wlhar...@attbi.com> wrote:
>

>>Two things you should note. One: the ifndis.sys is no longer used with
>>later version of MPTS. Two: the original install has problems with
>>path/libpath/etc. lines in config.sys being longer than 256 characters.
>

> I have managed to get through most of the install for peer networking by
> severely limiting the length of all lines in config.sys. However, towards
> the end, something didn't quite go right, as seen in the log:

> <snip log>

> I also don't have anything in the Connections->Network->Network Services
> folder.
>
> What is NSC? What could have caused it's installation to fail?
>
> As always, any help or advise will be greatly appreciated since I'm a
> novice when it comes to networking.
>
> Cheers,

I need to make one correction to what I said previously, namely the last
fixpack for peer is IP8414, not IP8614.

NSC is not needed. It is Network Sign-on Coodinator. If you want it,
it can be installed later.

The Connection->Network->Network Services is blank due to a bug in the
original product. Install the fixpack and it will be fixed.

Steve Drewell

Jun 30, 2002, 10:35:09 PM6/30/02
On Mon, 01 Jul 2002 at 01:12 GMT, "William L. Hartzell"
<wlhar...@attbi.com> wrote:

>Steve Drewell wrote:
>> On Sat, 29 Jun 2002 at 01:12 GMT, "William L. Hartzell"
>> <wlhar...@attbi.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Two things you should note. One: the ifndis.sys is no longer used with
>>>later version of MPTS. Two: the original install has problems with
>>>path/libpath/etc. lines in config.sys being longer than 256 characters.
>>

>> I have managed to get through most of the install for peer networking by
>> severely limiting the length of all lines in config.sys. However, towards
>> the end, something didn't quite go right, as seen in the log:
>> <snip log>
>> I also don't have anything in the Connections->Network->Network Services
>> folder.
>>
>> What is NSC? What could have caused it's installation to fail?
>>
>> As always, any help or advise will be greatly appreciated since I'm a
>> novice when it comes to networking.

>I need to make one correction to what I said previously, namely the last

>fixpack for peer is IP8414, not IP8614.

>NSC is not needed. It is Network Sign-on Coodinator. If you want it,
>it can be installed later.

>The Connection->Network->Network Services is blank due to a bug in the
>original product. Install the fixpack and it will be fixed.

Thanks for your help. I have finally got it all installed and
working.....just need to figure out how to use it now!

Cheers,
--
Steve Drewell (Remove x. from address to reply)

Using IBM OS/2 Warp 4 running 40 processes with 151 threads.
Machine uptime is 0 days, 0 hours, 3 mins and 54 secs.