Strange OS/2 Networking Problem - Need Help

Keith Cotroneo

Dec 28, 2003, 10:30:00 PM12/28/03
I am having a wierd problem with one of my os/2 machines on a peer
network. The machine that is giving me trouble has an ECS K7S5A
motherboard in it. I have been successful in getting the machine to
logon to my peer network. It can even do a NET VIEW and I can see the
other machines. But I cannot do a NET VIEW \\machineid or a NET USE to
access a resource. I get an error that says that the resource is not
longer available. Well, all my other machines can see it.

I don't get it. I have tried with the built in SIS 900 lan adapter and
with a Linksys LN100TX. Same result on both.I even copied other IBMCOM
and IBMLAN from other working machines to see if it was a setting or
driver problem. No dice. I can access the internet fine, but no local
lan access.

I must be missing something basic. Any thoughts?

Keith

dlj...@ibm.net

Dec 28, 2003, 10:37:18 PM12/28/03

I saw this happen with a Linksys card, too - can't comment on the SIS.
Problems were gone when I went with Intel PRO/100 cards...

What are your MPTS and Peer fix levels??

MMI

Dec 29, 2003, 7:11:12 AM12/29/03
"Keith Cotroneo" <cotroneore...@stnyremovenospam.stnyremovenospam.com> wrote in message news:<4RxS2ZlqbVV0-pn2-eQVodZyZ4Qlm@localhost>...

I had similar problem on a totally different machine/NIC. That was
virgin OS/2 Warp 4 install (no FP), and I let IBM Peer install on it.
It pretended to work, :-) however, the symptoms you describe were very
similar (I was getting NET0053 error IIRC the number). I figured out
that this has something to do with IBM Peer's install of MPTS - it
just doesn't work well sometimes and the MPTS installation is screwed
some way. The solution was simple:
1. Remove all networking
2. Install MPTS first by MPTS installer
3. Install Peer and tell the installer to keep MPTS already installed

And lo, Peer started to work like a charm ;-)

Cheers,
Martin

The Real OS/2 Guy

Dec 29, 2003, 8:37:59 AM12/29/03

The Sis900 adapter is not the badest - but the NIC you gets for is
really crap.
There is a beta NIC under work that will help when it goes GA, as it
even as it is BETA works better than the sis900. I can say nothing
about the LN100TX because I doesn't own such kind.

--
Tschau/Bye
Herbert

Dilbert Firestorm

Dec 29, 2003, 10:41:28 AM12/29/03
MMI wrote:

is any editing in the config.sys needed???? my networking is messed up
too, can't log in

Awhile back, I set the peer network up, but was never able to get the
networking thing going with the windows machine and vice versa..

dlj...@ibm.net

Dec 29, 2003, 3:51:07 PM12/29/03

Not really, simply go in to "System Setup" then "Install/Remove", and
select "Remove Installation for Networking". Reboot, you *may* have
to hit enter through a line or two (or three), then drop the CD in the
tray and go to town.

BTW - you are using Warp 4 or WSeB or MCP or...? And you have not
installed TCP/IP 4.1 or newer??

And, you may want to grab the latest drivers for whatever NIC you
are going to be using (I suspect you have probably already done that),
so that during the re-install you can load them up...

Keith Cotroneo

Dec 29, 2003, 5:20:50 PM12/29/03
I finally got the linksys going with the admtek 1.04 driver. The
admtek 1.00 would
not work.

Thanks,

Keith

Keith Cotroneo

Dec 29, 2003, 5:22:51 PM12/29/03
Where can I get the SIS 900 beta driver? I finally did get the linksys
to work, but
the sis 900 will only work for web browsing. It fails with network
connections.

Keith

Dilbert Firestorm

Dec 29, 2003, 8:36:35 PM12/29/03
dlj...@ibm.net wrote:

I'm using MCP2 (warp 4.52). as far as drivers for 3com nic, I'm using
the latest as far as I know.

dlj...@ibm.net

Dec 29, 2003, 9:49:17 PM12/29/03
OK, you are solid gold then - let the re-install begin!

MMI

Dec 30, 2003, 3:30:08 AM12/30/03

It is possible to remove peer networking by peer installer.

Cheers,
Martin

heit...@ameritech.net

Dec 30, 2003, 11:41:29 AM12/30/03
In comp.os.os2.networking Dilbert Firestorm <scanb*nospam*31XXX@nospam*i-55*nospam*.com> wrote:
>MMI wrote:

>>"Keith Cotroneo" <cotroneore...@stnyremovenospam.stnyremovenospam.com> wrote in message news:<4RxS2ZlqbVV0-pn2-eQVodZyZ4Qlm@localhost>...
>>

>>>I am having a wierd problem with one of my os/2 machines on a peer
>>

>is any editing in the config.sys needed???? my networking is messed up
>too, can't log in

>Awhile back, I set the peer network up, but was never able to get the
>networking thing going with the windows machine and vice versa..

I fiddled around for quite a long time getting OS/2 4.52 to talk to a
samba 3.0x server on my linux box. I was able to get it to mostly work.
The best way to connect to the samba server is to use the "net use" command.
I think OS/2 tries to connect to the samba server when it boots because
I get a ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR) Invalid argument from the NBTCP.EXE when
OS/2 boots. In a nutshell OS/2 does not seem to be able to use samba on
the Linux box as a domain controller. I am not sure of my terminology
here so please bear with me.

The other thing is I can use command line tools to access the files and
directories made available via samba, but the OS/2 GUI does not show any
files. When the file dialog is used the samba drive can be accessed though.

--

Fred

Error Loading Explorer.exe
You must reinstall Windows.