server for mass email? Help needed

Dan Foley

Dec 21, 2001, 1:07:03 AM12/21/01
I am attempting the task of converting a system of mine over to a server
who's only purpose will be to handle email marketing lists. It needs to be
able to handle up to 300,000 email address on a list, and the whole thing
needs to be remotely accessible via the web.

My first thought was to program an asp page that hooks up with a sql server
database, that stores the emails. That part is easy. I can program it to
loop thru the emails and send them out.

However my question is this: How long would it take the smtp server to send
out 300,000 emails? will i crash the server?

Maybe using a windows server isn't even the way to go.. what about other
OS's ?? would any of them be better at this task? Maybe Linux with php??

please email me at d...@nospam.micamedia.com

i need some pointers here.

thanks

--
Dan Foley
Owner - Director of Information Technology