Οι Ομάδες Google δεν υποστηρίζουν πλέον νέες αναρτήσεις ή εγγραφές στο Usenet. Το ιστορικό περιεχόμενο παραμένει ορατό.

Please Help Me Understand: I'm not too smart!

0 προβολές
Παράβλεψη και μετάβαση στο πρώτο μη αναγνωσμένο μήνυμα

Tom Eichenberg

μη αναγνωσμένη,
20 Απρ 2002, 11:45:10 π.μ.20/4/02
ως
I am trying to understand this wireless internet connection thing.
I went to the Artem site pages, but after some reading I still didn't
understand if I could get what I think I want.

At work, I have an old Thinkpad 760 I use as my primary
workstation interface. The think pad is hooked to the company
intranet via a dedicated ethernet line and static IP address.
I am using an older 3com pcmcia adapter for 10BaseT.

I would like to have a way to plug my ethernet cable into
a box, and have a card that would plug into my thinkpad. If
there is any kind of configuration required of the box, then I
need to be able to do it from my laptop, not a separate
desktop box.

Is this possible?

Thanks.

Mark Dodel

μη αναγνωσμένη,
20 Απρ 2002, 6:54:09 μ.μ.20/4/02
ως
On Sat, 20 Apr 2002 15:45:10 UTC, "Tom Eichenberg" <tw...@owt.com>
wrote:

-)I would like to have a way to plug my ethernet cable into
-)a box, and have a card that would plug into my thinkpad. If
-)there is any kind of configuration required of the box, then I
-)need to be able to do it from my laptop, not a separate
-)desktop box.
-)
-)Is this possible?
-)

I'm not clear on what you mean by "plug my ethernet cable into a box".
There are two basic components to a wireless setup. The wireless
NIC, which can be PCMCIA, ISA or PCI; and the wireless Access Point.
The access point can handle multiple wireless NICs and the wireless
NIC's can be used in a peer mode (NIC to NIC, without an AP).
Generally you put the PCMCIA wireless NIC in the laptop, and connect
an AP to your wired LAN and the laptop can then access the rest of the
hard wired LAN via the AP.

As to configuring the AP, for some brands, like the Linksys, it
requires a windoze only app. For others you can just use a browser or
telnet to perform the configuration. Someone told me the Netgear
model MR314 just uses a browser (Netscape 4+ or the dreaded ie will
do).

Mark

--
From the eComStation Desk of: Mark Dodel

growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than
their democratic State itself. That in it's essence, is Fascism -
ownership of government by an individual, by a group or by any
controlling private power." Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Message
proposing the Monopoly Investigation, 1938

For a VOICE in the future of OS/2
http://www.os2voice.org/index.html

John Poltorak

μη αναγνωσμένη,
21 Απρ 2002, 6:40:58 π.μ.21/4/02
ως
Tom Eichenberg wrote:

>I am trying to understand this wireless internet connection thing.
>I went to the Artem site pages, but after some reading I still didn't
>understand if I could get what I think I want.

I got a couple of BinTec cards a few months and spent several weeks trying
to get them to work, but eventually found a way of setting up a peer to peer
connection. I did use the Artem drivers and things work pretty well.

The thing you need to remember when setting up wireless communications
is that there are two modes of operating, Infrastructure mode and Ad Hoc
mode.
I'm no expert on the ins and outs of these modes but its something you
should get
familiar with when using wireless links.

>At work, I have an old Thinkpad 760 I use as my primary
>workstation interface. The think pad is hooked to the company
>intranet via a dedicated ethernet line and static IP address.
>I am using an older 3com pcmcia adapter for 10BaseT.
>
>I would like to have a way to plug my ethernet cable into
>a box, and have a card that would plug into my thinkpad. If
>there is any kind of configuration required of the box, then I
>need to be able to do it from my laptop, not a separate
>desktop box.
>
>Is this possible?

Are you talking about setting up a box for routing between ethernet and
wireless?

I've done this using a ThinkPad 600 running OS/2 as a route, just to see
if it does work.
There really isn't much to it all once you've worked out how to
configure the wireless card.

--
John

>Thanks.

John Poltorak

μη αναγνωσμένη,
21 Απρ 2002, 6:47:38 π.μ.21/4/02
ως
Mark Dodel wrote:

>As to configuring the AP, for some brands, like the Linksys, it
>requires a windoze only app.

Why should this be the case?

AFAIUI all wireless cards use the same protocol so you should be able to
talk to a Linksys AP using a CISCO card. Since they all use TCP/IP you ought
to be able to telnet to the AP. The AP itself shouldn't be able to tell
whether you
are running Windows...

I'm just curious to know how it's configuration could be restricted to
Windows since
the AP itself doesn't run on Windows.

--
John

Mark Dodel

μη αναγνωσμένη,
21 Απρ 2002, 7:56:41 π.μ.21/4/02
ως
On Sun, 21 Apr 2002 10:47:38 UTC, John Poltorak <j...@eyup.org> wrote:

-)Mark Dodel wrote:
-)
-)>As to configuring the AP, for some brands, like the Linksys, it
-)>requires a windoze only app.
-)>
-)Why should this be the case?
-)
-)AFAIUI all wireless cards use the same protocol so you should be able to
-)talk to a Linksys AP using a CISCO card.

And the Cisco card works fine with the Linksys AP for 802.11b
communication. You just can't configure the damn AP from within OS/2.

-)Since they all use TCP/IP you ought
-)to be able to telnet to the AP. The AP itself shouldn't be able to tell
-)whether you
-)are running Windows...
-)

That assumes that they have a telnetd on the AP to allow access. I
have tried that and get nowhere with the Linksys AP I have.

-)I'm just curious to know how it's configuration could be restricted to
-)Windows since
-)the AP itself doesn't run on Windows.
-)

Beats me. I wish I had investigated this a bit more before buying
what I did. To clarify, the Linksys AP works fine with my Cisco340
card which runs under OS/2. Its just that if one needs to change
anything in the Linksys' AP configuration, one has to boot to windoze
and run their proprietary software to do so.

John Poltorak

μη αναγνωσμένη,
21 Απρ 2002, 9:44:26 π.μ.21/4/02
ως
Mark Dodel wrote:

>On Sun, 21 Apr 2002 10:47:38 UTC, John Poltorak <j...@eyup.org> wrote:
>
>-)Since they all use TCP/IP you ought
>-)to be able to telnet to the AP. The AP itself shouldn't be able to tell
>-)whether you
>-)are running Windows...
>-)
>
>That assumes that they have a telnetd on the AP to allow access. I
>have tried that and get nowhere with the Linksys AP I have.
>
>-)I'm just curious to know how it's configuration could be restricted to
>-)Windows since
>-)the AP itself doesn't run on Windows.
>-)
>
>Beats me. I wish I had investigated this a bit more before buying
>what I did. To clarify, the Linksys AP works fine with my Cisco340
>card which runs under OS/2. Its just that if one needs to change
>anything in the Linksys' AP configuration, one has to boot to windoze
>and run their proprietary software to do so.

Have you tried running a portscanner to see what ports are actually open
on the AP?

It may be be something as simple as having a telnet or http daemon
running on a non-standard port...

--
John

Tom Eichenberg

μη αναγνωσμένη,
21 Απρ 2002, 9:35:59 π.μ.21/4/02
ως
On Sun, 21 Apr 2002 10:40:58 GMT, John Poltorak wrote:

>Tom Eichenberg wrote:
>>At work, I have an old Thinkpad 760 I use as my primary
>>workstation interface. The think pad is hooked to the company
>>intranet via a dedicated ethernet line and static IP address.
>>I am using an older 3com pcmcia adapter for 10BaseT.
>>
>>I would like to have a way to plug my ethernet cable into
>>a box, and have a card that would plug into my thinkpad. If
>>there is any kind of configuration required of the box, then I
>>need to be able to do it from my laptop, not a separate
>>desktop box.
>>
>>Is this possible?
>>

>Are you talking about setting up a box for routing between ethernet and
>wireless?
>
>I've done this using a ThinkPad 600 running OS/2 as a route, just to see
>if it does work.
>There really isn't much to it all once you've worked out how to
>configure the wireless card.

Currently, my laptop is configured with a static IP address and it knows
how to talk with the network DNS. If I get one of these wireless cards
and access points, will the access point require its own static IP address,
or will I need an additional address? I only need to have one machine,
my laptop, on this small wireless connection. I just want to physically
break my current connection to my ethernet line so I can take my laptop
down the hall and show my co-workers analysis results without need to
print out paper. This would come in really handy when I am trying to
explain a code error or bug to the programming people.

dav...@removethis.cmconsultants.net

μη αναγνωσμένη,
21 Απρ 2002, 1:53:12 μ.μ.21/4/02
ως

Let's talk the Linksys WAP11 and a Cisco 342 PCMCIA WL NIC here, the limit of my horizon. The WAP defaults to 192.168.1.250. If this is OK with your administrator, or if he assigns another address, you then need access to a WinCrap machine to configure it. The box is not reachable by a browser, telnet or ftp although I did get it to respond to tftp but I don't know what the contents of the config is or the name. I would probably muck it up anyway. Maybe someone else familiar with the guts in this stuff can figure it out. I would like a way to do this in OS/2 without the WinCrap stuff.

In any event, once you are configured (easy enuff) you can roam as you wish.

Best Regards,

David
C.M. Consultants,Inc

Rodney Pont

μη αναγνωσμένη,
21 Απρ 2002, 5:08:11 μ.μ.21/4/02
ως

Or even SNMP. The Programs/Utilities/SystemView Agent is the SNMP side in
OS/2. Used to use it in the early 90's to manager the terminal servers. Tried
to keep an eye on PC's with it (running Win3.11) but I couldn't stop people
giving them the three fingered salute so gave up :-)

--
Regards - Rodney Pont
e-mail r(nothing)pont (at) btinternet (dot) com

0 νέα μηνύματα