Qbittorrent overloading IP stack

Allan

Nov 17, 2011, 4:04:23 PM11/17/11

I've just downloaded Qbittorrent, and trying to fetch a few Linux distros.

App working fine as such, but sometimes it just closes. I figured out,
that this is most likely because IP stack is running out of mem.

Right now the routing table consists of 6800 routes, and netstat -m
looks like this:

mbufs obtained from page pool = 14656
free mbufs = 71
data mbufs = 172
header mbufs = 226
socket structure mbufs = 241
socket name mbufs = 0
socket option mbufs = 0
protocol control block mbufs = 472
routing table mbufs = 13457
fragment reassembly mbufs = 0
clusters obtained from page pool = 1135
free clusters = 149
times failed to find space = 1988
times waited for space = 0

Any ideas for changing any setting for IP stack to avoid this ?

It should be 'newest' stack running on ecs 1.2R

--
Allan.

It is better to close your mouth, and look like a fool,
than to open it, and remove all doubt.

Lars Erdmann

Nov 17, 2011, 5:27:23 PM11/17/11
You can try different parameters with SOCKETSK.SYS (or SOCKETS.SYS for that
matter), like:

DEVICE=X:\MPTN\PROTOCOL\SOCKETSK.SYS /MBUF:512 /GDT:256 /MEM:3600

/MBUF equals the "mbufs obtained from page pool" (at least the initial
value) as shown by netstat -m, I am not sure what exactly the other
parameters do.

In order to keep the routing table short, significantly reduce the
"keepalive" time. The standard value is much too big:
"inetcfg.exe -s keepalive 60" (for example: 60 seconds). I am using this
value and don't experience any negative effects.

Lars

"Allan" <all...@warpspeed.dyndns.dk> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Peter Brown

Nov 17, 2011, 6:09:08 PM11/17/11
Hi Allan

Allan wrote:

> I've just downloaded Qbittorrent, and trying to fetch a few Linux distros.

Which versions of qbittorrent and qt are you using?

Would the patched tcpip32.dll from Steven Levine make any difference to
performance? - http://e-vertise.com/misc/tcpip32-safe.zip

Regards

Pete

Allan

Nov 18, 2011, 5:59:08 AM11/18/11
On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 23:09:08 UTC, Peter Brown <losepeteS...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Hi Allan
>
> Allan wrote:
> >
> > I've just downloaded Qbittorrent, and trying to fetch a few Linux distros.
> >

> Which versions of qbittorrent and qt are you using?

2.7.3 - the last one that supports the Qt version, I have currently installed.

> Would the patched tcpip32.dll from Steven Levine make any difference to
> performance? - http://e-vertise.com/misc/tcpip32-safe.zip

I highly doubt it.

Allan

Nov 18, 2011, 5:59:29 AM11/18/11
On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 22:27:23 UTC, "Lars Erdmann" <lars.e...@arcor.de> wrote:

> You can try different parameters with SOCKETSK.SYS (or SOCKETS.SYS for that
> matter), like:
>
> DEVICE=X:\MPTN\PROTOCOL\SOCKETSK.SYS /MBUF:512 /GDT:256 /MEM:3600
>
> /MBUF equals the "mbufs obtained from page pool" (at least the initial
> value) as shown by netstat -m, I am not sure what exactly the other
> parameters do.

The problem here is not that I run out of MBUFS, although it certanly
is not wanted side effect.

The problem is that the IP stack creates all these bogus routes. They make
no sense, since all of then points to the default route.

This is a 'feature' that poped up in some of the lastet released IP stacks.

I'm interested in figuring out, if this 'feature' can be turned off.

> In order to keep the routing table short, significantly reduce the
> "keepalive" time. The standard value is much too big:
> "inetcfg.exe -s keepalive 60" (for example: 60 seconds). I am using this
> value and don't experience any negative effects.

It was already set to 60, so it doesn't look like this value ha anything
to do with it. But, I've tried to set it to 6 for next run.

Alex Taylor

Nov 18, 2011, 6:28:04 AM11/18/11
On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 21:04:23 UTC, "Allan" <all...@warpspeed.dyndns.dk> wrote:

> I've just downloaded Qbittorrent, and trying to fetch a few Linux
> distros.
>
> App working fine as such, but sometimes it just closes. I figured out,
> that this is most likely because IP stack is running out of mem.

I occasionally see something a bit similar (using v2.8.4), except that
instead of closing it simply stops downloading anything, and all other
Internet traffic on the box ceases to function.

Sometimes closing qBittorrent and flushing the routing table helps, but
more often I simply have to reboot.

I've tried changing the qBittorrent configuration to limit the number
of concurrent connections, which may have helped a bit, although I still
see the problem occasionally (usually on very new/popular torrents with
vast numbers of peers).

--
Alex Taylor
Fukushima, Japan

Please take off hat when replying.

Allan

Nov 18, 2011, 11:12:45 AM11/18/11
On Fri, 18 Nov 2011 11:28:04 UTC, "Alex Taylor" <mai...@reply.to.address> wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 21:04:23 UTC, "Allan" <all...@warpspeed.dyndns.dk> wrote:
>
> > I've just downloaded Qbittorrent, and trying to fetch a few Linux
> > distros.
> >
> > App working fine as such, but sometimes it just closes. I figured out,
> > that this is most likely because IP stack is running out of mem.
>

> I occasionally see something a bit similar (using v2.8.4), except that
> instead of closing it simply stops downloading anything, and all other
> Internet traffic on the box ceases to function.

Yes, I see same here. However, waiting a little time (1-2min) usually makes
it start again. If you try any netstat commands in these pauses, all of them
just answers 'out of memory'.

> Sometimes closing qBittorrent and flushing the routing table helps, but
> more often I simply have to reboot.

I haven't had to reboot yet.

> I've tried changing the qBittorrent configuration to limit the number
> of concurrent connections, which may have helped a bit, although I still
> see the problem occasionally (usually on very new/popular torrents with
> vast numbers of peers).

I'm sure that can help a bit - but again, I wish we could find a way to
make the IP-stack stop caching 5000 routes as it makes no sense.

Peter Brown

Nov 18, 2011, 12:24:17 PM11/18/11
Hi Allan

Allan wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 23:09:08 UTC, Peter Brown<losepeteS...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Allan
>>
>> Allan wrote:
>>>
>>> I've just downloaded Qbittorrent, and trying to fetch a few Linux distros.
>>>

>> Which versions of qbittorrent and qt are you using?
>
> 2.7.3 - the last one that supports the Qt version, I have currently installed.

I had problems with 2.7.3 and reverted to the previous build.

I now have qt 4.7.3 installed and qbittorrent 2.8.5 working fine.

Might be worth trying the updates yourself.

Regards

Pete