Connect to OS/2 share from Win7 - access denied

Marcel Müller

Aug 13, 2013, 2:37:01 AM8/13/13
I try to establish a connection from Windows 7 (client) to eCS (IBM Peer
server). I adjusted the Win7 policies to allow LM Password
authentication. But I always get access denied from the eCS box.

From what I can see from a network capture the login request from Win7
is almost identical to the request sent by another OS/2 box. Win 7 seems
not to fill the fields "Native OS" and "Native LAN Manager" in the
Session Setup AndX Request and Win7 sends Service "IPC" in the Tree
Connect AndX Request while OS/2 sends Service "?????". Furthermore Win7
adds some padding zero bytes to the network packet. That's it.

However, the reply to the OS/2 session setup request is always OK while
to Win7's request IBM Peer responds with Error 5 (access denied).

Are there any further tricks? Is it possible to do some tracing on the
server side?

Marcel