OS/2 Samba <-> Windows 10 failure

LSoens

Jun 26, 2016, 7:37:29 AM6/26/16
Has anybody succeeded to connect OS/2 Samba to Windows 10 shares
and/or vice versa?

- When I connect EVFSGUI client to any Win10 share, I receive "Access
denied", but no problem with Win7 Pro.
- Win 7 did connect to eCS shares (Samba 3.3.6 server), but Win 10
denies.
- Linux Mint 17.3 connects with eCS as well as with Win10, either
direction.

For now, this Linux man-in-the middle might be my workaround. Better
ideas welcome :-)

--
Wegen Unregelmäßigkeiten im Betrieb fährt die Bahn heute pünktlich.
Due to irregular service all trains go on schedule today.

Andreas Kohl

Jun 26, 2016, 8:14:23 AM6/26/16
LSoens schrieb:
> Has anybody succeeded to connect OS/2 Samba to Windows 10 shares
> and/or vice versa?
>
> - When I connect EVFSGUI client to any Win10 share, I receive "Access
> denied", but no problem with Win7 Pro.
> - Win 7 did connect to eCS shares (Samba 3.3.6 server), but Win 10
> denies.
> - Linux Mint 17.3 connects with eCS as well as with Win10, either
> direction.
>
> For now, this Linux man-in-the middle might be my workaround. Better
> ideas welcome :-)

In the network settings you can turn off public folders, 128 bit
encryption and password protection.
Change at least the registry setting for LmCompatibilityLevel=1.

Andreas

LSoens

Jun 26, 2016, 2:01:37 PM6/26/16
On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 12:14:34 UTC, Andreas Kohl <ak...@arcor.de> wrote:

> In the network settings you can turn off public folders, 128 bit
> encryption and password protection.
> Change at least the registry setting for LmCompatibilityLevel=1.

Thanks for your suggestions, Andreas.
But still no luck. Btw, those settings are identical in my Win10 &
Win7 computers, but working with Win7. Win internal firewalls are off.
I suspect there is a built-in hidden feature in Win10: "If 'OS/2' then
tackle;" ;-)

Andreas Kohl

Jun 26, 2016, 3:32:35 PM6/26/16
LSoens schrieb:
> On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 12:14:34 UTC, Andreas Kohl <ak...@arcor.de> wrote:
>
>> In the network settings you can turn off public folders, 128 bit
>> encryption and password protection.
>> Change at least the registry setting for LmCompatibilityLevel=1.
>
> Thanks for your suggestions, Andreas.
> But still no luck. Btw, those settings are identical in my Win10 &
> Win7 computers, but working with Win7. Win internal firewalls are off.

Which versions and editions of Windows OS were used?
Can you post here protocol bindings of used interfaces?
.. and the registry entries from LAN Manager sections, please.
For the samba side the smb.conf would be useful (but without useless
comments please!)

> I suspect there is a built-in hidden feature in Win10: "If 'OS/2' then
> tackle;" ;-)

No, for what reason?

--
Andreas

LSoens

Jun 27, 2016, 6:07:57 AM6/27/16
On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 19:32:45 UTC, Andreas Kohl <ak...@arcor.de> wrote:

> Which versions and editions of Windows OS were used?
> Can you post here protocol bindings of used interfaces?
> .. and the registry entries from LAN Manager sections, please.
> For the samba side the smb.conf would be useful (but without useless
> comments please!)

Win7 Pro SP1 64bit
Win10 Pro v.1511 b.19586.420

Spent half yesterday and this morning comparing all settings on my Win
computers: they look identical (except names). I wouldn't like
flooding this NG with numerous Win registry settings.

Please remember my original question: Has anybody here happened to get
a Samba connection between eCS and Win10. Or could not as well. Btw,
have you tried yourself?

For now, I can live with my workaround, since I don't need continuous
file sharing 24/7.
Thanks for your comments, anyway.

Regards, Lothar

Doug Bissett

Jun 27, 2016, 12:21:09 PM6/27/16
On Mon, 27 Jun 2016 10:07:56 UTC, "LSoens" <nom...@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 19:32:45 UTC, Andreas Kohl <ak...@arcor.de> wrote:
>
> > Which versions and editions of Windows OS were used?
> > Can you post here protocol bindings of used interfaces?
> > .. and the registry entries from LAN Manager sections, please.
> > For the samba side the smb.conf would be useful (but without useless
> > comments please!)
> >
> Win7 Pro SP1 64bit
> Win10 Pro v.1511 b.19586.420
>
> Spent half yesterday and this morning comparing all settings on my Win
> computers: they look identical (except names). I wouldn't like
> flooding this NG with numerous Win registry settings.
>
> Please remember my original question: Has anybody here happened to get
> a Samba connection between eCS and Win10. Or could not as well. Btw,
> have you tried yourself?
>
> For now, I can live with my workaround, since I don't need continuous
> file sharing 24/7.
> Thanks for your comments, anyway.
>
> Regards, Lothar

I have win 10 (PRO 64) client using SAMBA in eCS as the server, but it
doesn't work the other way around. The eCS SAMBA client needs work
(for more than just this problem). The immediate problem is in the
user ID/password stuff, which you may be able to work around if you
mess with security settings in windows (I didn't bother). Search the
internet, Linux has the same problems with later versions of windows.

BTW, win 10 seems to have the same settings as win 7, but they added
new settings to do the same things, so you will need to find, and
change the new settings (which I didn't try, yet).

--
From the eComStation of Doug Bissett
dougb007 at telus dot net

Andreas Kohl

Jun 27, 2016, 1:50:56 PM6/27/16
Hello,

LSoens schrieb:

> Win7 Pro SP1 64bit
> Win10 Pro v.1511 b.19586.420

So changing policies and registry settings seems for now the only way
without bying additional products.

> Spent half yesterday and this morning comparing all settings on my Win
> computers: they look identical (except names). I wouldn't like
> flooding this NG with numerous Win registry settings.

Only if something seems to look identically, it doesn't mean that it
behaves identically.
Windows Client OS editions only offer a very limited set of network
settings via GUI. The most important parts have to be changed manually
in the registry. For more than 2 clients it will be useful to save some
time with *.reg files.

This article is quite useful:
<https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2696547>

> Please remember my original question: Has anybody here happened to get
> a Samba connection between eCS and Win10. Or could not as well. Btw,
> have you tried yourself?

I had similar issues using OS/2 Warp with Windows Server 2012 R2 and
Samba-based storage. So I set up an VM in Hyper-V that provides gateway
services for legacy clients. This way I would recommend when enough
dedicated network interfaces could be used.

--
Andreas

ivan

Jun 28, 2016, 7:30:36 AM6/28/16
As a point of interest there has been a lot of complaints about win 10
not working with SMB/CIFS on several of the smass NAS forums. Win 10
does not appear to play well with third party software.

ivan

LSoens

Jul 22, 2016, 5:35:06 AM7/22/16
On Tue, 28 Jun 2016 11:30:36 UTC, "ivan" <iva...@free.fr> wrote:

> As a point of interest there has been a lot of complaints about win 10
> not working with SMB/CIFS on several of the smass NAS forums. Win 10
> does not appear to play well with third party software.

The main reason seems to be that Win10-1511 appeared with SMB protocol
3.11, which is part of Samba 4.3.x. Some users reported that
dectivation of SMB3 in Win10 helped for their NAS.

This might also explain why my Win10 connects to my Linux-Mint 17.3 an
vice versa, but not to eCS (client nor server). But I suspect some
more restriction, sind my Linux does well with eCS-Samba.

LSoens

Jul 25, 2016, 5:26:21 AM7/25/16
On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 11:37:29 UTC, "LSoens" <nom...@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

Hi/2,

> Has anybody succeeded to connect OS/2 Samba to Windows 10 shares
> and/or vice versa?
>
> - When I connect EVFSGUI client to any Win10 share, I receive "Access
> denied", but no problem with Win7 Pro.

Finally I got _Netdrive 3.1.5 & Ftp_ connecting to Windows 10 &
FileZilla Server.
Works for me as desired :-D

Regards, Lothar

Paul Smedley

Oct 2, 2016, 7:48:10 PM10/2/16

On 25/07/16 18:56, LSoens wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Jun 2016 11:37:29 UTC, "LSoens" <nom...@nospam.invalid>
> wrote:
>
> Hi/2,
>
>> Has anybody succeeded to connect OS/2 Samba to Windows 10 shares
>> and/or vice versa?
>>
>> - When I connect EVFSGUI client to any Win10 share, I receive "Access
>> denied", but no problem with Win7 Pro.
>
> Finally I got _Netdrive 3.1.5 & Ftp_ connecting to Windows 10 &
> FileZilla Server.
> Works for me as desired :-D

If you'd prefer a Samba based solution, I'm working on an updated
version of the Samba plugin for Netdrive, based on Samba 4.x.

I haven't personally tested with Windows 10, but others have with
apparent success.

Contact me via email to get a test version :)

Cheers,

Paul

ivan

Oct 2, 2016, 8:12:01 PM10/2/16
On Sun, 2 Oct 2016 23:48:09 UTC, Paul Smedley <pa...@smedley.id.au>
wrote:
That might or might not work if the latest 'updates' stay in win10

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09/29/microsoft_warns_windows_securi
ty_fix_may_break_network_shares/

There are also some SMB fixes from a couple of weeks ago that even
bump win7 boxes of the network, I forget the KB number that has to be
uninstalled to get back to normal. This appears to be an on going
problem with win10, it works on some boxes but not other and when they
try and fix the problem the once working boxes stop working and some
of the previous not working ones start working. This observation is
from a small sample of our walk in customers.

ivan