Switching from dial-up to high speed

Dave Yeo

May 10, 2012, 11:59:06 PM5/10/12
Am I correct in assuming that if I plug my computer (both Warp v4 and
eCS 2.1) into a router connected to the internet that DHCP will just work?
Dave

Marcel Müller

May 11, 2012, 2:57:52 AM5/11/12
On 11.05.2012 05:59, Dave Yeo wrote:
> Am I correct in assuming that if I plug my computer (both Warp v4 and
> eCS 2.1) into a router connected to the internet that DHCP will just work?

If it is a /router/ then you are right.
But if it is /not/ a router and needs something like PPPoE, then things
get more complicated.

Marcel

Mentore Siesto

May 11, 2012, 5:12:38 AM5/11/12
Il giorno Fri, 11 May 2012 03:59:06 UTC, Dave Yeo
<dave....@gmail.com> ha scritto:

> Am I correct in assuming that if I plug my computer (both Warp v4 and
> eCS 2.1) into a router connected to the internet that DHCP will just work?
> Dave

I bought a Netgear router/ADSL modem some year ago. Signed an ADSL
contract with one provider, configured the router, configured OS/2 to
connect to it and use it as a gateway. The only little trouble I had
was with the DNS server (I had to save them into the router and OS/2
configuration): since then it all works like a charm (and often better
than the other systems).

BTW, I don't use DHCP, preferring fixed IPs on my lan.

Mentore

ivan

May 11, 2012, 6:25:22 AM5/11/12
On Fri, 11 May 2012 03:59:06 UTC, Dave Yeo <dave....@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Am I correct in assuming that if I plug my computer (both Warp v4 and
> eCS 2.1) into a router connected to the internet that DHCP will just work?
> Dave

In theory yes, in practice it will depend on what your ISP supplies.

If it is ADSL and your ISP supplies a USB modem then it will need to
be changed - I've yet to find a way of using a USB modem with OS/2.
On the other hand, if they supply a modem/router then yes it will work
and you don't have to be concerned with whatever they use on the WAN
side.

Most modem/routers are set to provide DHCP as default, all you have to
do in that situation is set your OS/2 box to accept DHCP.

ivan

Dave Yeo

May 11, 2012, 10:21:58 AM5/11/12
It's wireless, dish pointed at local mountain to receive a 800 Mhz
signal. I've the ISP supplies a router and it uses standard DHCP.
I take it I just turn on DHCP in the TCP/IP configuration notebook?
Dave

Mentore Siesto

May 11, 2012, 4:43:29 PM5/11/12
Il giorno Fri, 11 May 2012 14:21:58 UTC, Dave Yeo
<dave....@gmail.com> ha scritto:

> It's wireless, dish pointed at local mountain to receive a 800 Mhz
> signal. I've the ISP supplies a router and it uses standard DHCP.
> I take it I just turn on DHCP in the TCP/IP configuration notebook?

That should do.

Mentore

ivan

May 12, 2012, 7:05:39 AM5/12/12
On Fri, 11 May 2012 14:21:58 UTC, Dave Yeo <dave....@gmail.com>
That sounds something like my friends satellite setup.

Yes, you just turn on DHCP in TCP/IP, reboot and you should be away.
You can also use DHCP Monitor to check what IP address you get and how
long the lease lasts.

ivan

Trevor Hemsley

May 12, 2012, 8:30:57 AM5/12/12
On Fri, 11 May 2012 14:21:58 UTC in comp.os.os2.networking.misc, Dave Yeo
<dave....@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's wireless, dish pointed at local mountain to receive a 800 Mhz
> signal. I've the ISP supplies a router and it uses standard DHCP.
> I take it I just turn on DHCP in the TCP/IP configuration notebook?

Ask them if it works with Linux without having to do anything special other than
having an ethernet card? Linux support is somewhat more widespread and "OS/2" is
more likely to elicit "what?" than anything else :-)

--
Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

Dave Yeo

May 12, 2012, 1:13:48 PM5/12/12
Trevor Hemsley wrote:
> On Fri, 11 May 2012 14:21:58 UTC in comp.os.os2.networking.misc, Dave Yeo
> <dave....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It's wireless, dish pointed at local mountain to receive a 800 Mhz
>> signal. I've the ISP supplies a router and it uses standard DHCP.
>> I take it I just turn on DHCP in the TCP/IP configuration notebook?
>
> Ask them if it works with Linux without having to do anything special other than
> having an ethernet card? Linux support is somewhat more widespread and "OS/2" is
> more likely to elicit "what?" than anything else :-)

I questioned them last year when they had a series of community meetings
to decide whether to serve us. There's about 200 households in the
community and they had to decide if enough people would sign up to make
it worthwhile. The signal will go about 30 miles to a local mountain top
where they had to get permission to put a retransmitter with solar and
wind power, get converted to 800 Mhz and aimed at our area.
Unluckily they pulled a no-show yesterday.
Dave

Dave Yeo

May 12, 2012, 1:15:04 PM5/12/12
ivan wrote:
> Yes, you just turn on DHCP in TCP/IP, reboot and you should be away.
> You can also use DHCP Monitor to check what IP address you get and how
> long the lease lasts.

So you have to reboot?
Dave

ivan

May 13, 2012, 8:04:38 AM5/13/12
On Sat, 12 May 2012 17:15:04 UTC, Dave Yeo <dave....@gmail.com>
wrote:
I have found it is the easiest way to get everything set up the first
tim when moving from a fixed IP to DHCP.

You can also write a script that will clear routs etc and reset them
as necessary.

ivan

Alex Taylor

May 13, 2012, 8:47:01 AM5/13/12
On Sun, 13 May 2012 12:04:38 UTC, "ivan" <iva...@free.fr> wrote:

> > > Yes, you just turn on DHCP in TCP/IP, reboot and you should be away.
> > > You can also use DHCP Monitor to check what IP address you get and how
> > > long the lease lasts.
> >
> > So you have to reboot?
>
> I have found it is the easiest way to get everything set up the first
> tim when moving from a fixed IP to DHCP.
>
> You can also write a script that will clear routs etc and reset them
> as necessary.

I use this script (below). It's also useful when switching from an
ethernet connection (at home) to a WiFi connection on a totally different
network (e.g. at work) without having to reboot.

Requires PR1UTIL.DLL by Paul Ratcliffe, although it's possible to remove
that requirement with a little rewriting.

/*****************************************************************************
* FlushIP *
* *
* Deactivate all IP interfaces and flush the routing and arp tables. This *
* basically amounts to a forcible reset of all TCP/IP configuration, which *
* is frequently necessary if we plan to subsequently switch over to a new *
* connection on a different network (without rebooting). *
*****************************************************************************/
PARSE ARG interface

CALL RxFuncAdd 'PRLoadFuncs', 'PR1UTIL', 'PRLoadFuncs'
CALL PRLoadFuncs

IF interface <> '' THEN DO
PARSE UPPER VAR interface 'LAN'_i .
IF VERIFY( _i, '01234567') <> 0 THEN DO
SAY 'Incorrect interface specified.'
SAY
SAY 'Syntax: FlushIP <interface>'
SAY
SAY 'Where <interface> must be "lan0" to "lan7".'
RETURN 0
END
ifs.0 = 1
ifs.1.name = interface
END
ELSE DO
IF PRQueryIFConfig('ifs.') <> '' THEN DO
SAY 'Failed to get current IP configuration. Using defaults.'
ifs.0 = 2
ifs.1.name = 'lan0'
ifs.2.name = 'lan1'
END
END

SAY 'Resetting IP configuration... '
'@dhcpmon -t' /* Terminate the DHCP client service */
'@route -f >nul' /* Flush the routing table */
DO i = 1 TO ifs.0 /* Shut down all IP interfaces */
IF ifs.i.name == 'lo' THEN ITERATE /* (except the loopback device) */
'@ifconfig' ifs.i.name 'down'
'@ifconfig' ifs.i.name 'delete'
IF rc == 0 THEN
SAY ' ->' ifs.i.name 'deleted'
END
'@arp -f >nul' /* Flush the ARP table */

SAY 'OK'
RETURN 0

--
Alex Taylor
Fukushima, Japan

Please take off hat when replying.
Message has been deleted

ivan

May 14, 2012, 5:39:44 AM5/14/12
On Sun, 13 May 2012 22:06:47 UTC, "Allan" <all...@warpspeed.dyndns.dk>
wrote:
> Not really. After changing the settings, just run setup.cmd from CMD.

Huh? Where is this CMD directory? I don't have it in my OS/2 boot
partition.

Peter Brown

May 14, 2012, 7:32:10 AM5/14/12
Hi ivan
Open a command window and run setup.cmd

Regards

Pete

Paul Ratcliffe

May 14, 2012, 7:17:32 AM5/14/12
On 13 May 2012 07:47:01 -0500, Alex Taylor <mai...@reply.to.address> wrote:

> Requires PR1UTIL.DLL by Paul Ratcliffe, although it's possible to remove
> that requirement with a little rewriting.

Why would you want to remove such a fine utility library? :-)

ivan

May 14, 2012, 10:27:11 AM5/14/12
I know that Pete, it is just that some people are not very precise in
their wording. That also only works if MPTN\BIN is before some other
directory that has a setup.cmd in config.sys.

ivan

Lars Erdmann

May 23, 2012, 2:02:49 AM5/23/12
Yes. And after you've done that, you should modify
\mptn\bin\setup.cmd to this:

dhcpstrt -i lan0 -d 0 (if you are using the first lan connection to connect
to the internet)

That will save you from a "press Enter to continue" on bootup should your
DHCP server (that is: your router) fail to assign an IP address in time. See
help for dhcpstrt.

There is also something to tweak in %ETC%\dhcpcd.cfg but normally it's not
necessary to touch it.
Just report if you are having problems. It also depends on the version of
dhcpcd.cfg that is installed on your computer if you have to touch it or not
(Warp 4 tends to have an outdated version of this file and then your DHCP
will not work. But in that case you most likely find a valid version as
mptn\samples\etc\dhcpcd.cfg).
With %ETC%\dhcpcd.cfg you can for example enable logging of all that DHCP
exchange which can help if something does not work out alright.

Lars

"Dave Yeo" <dave....@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag