OS/2 and FreeBSD

Percival P. Cassidy

Feb 26, 2014, 10:34:43 PM2/26/14
I had three OS/2 machines (actually eComstation 2.1) transferring files
to and from a FreeNAS machine (FreeBSD-based). Then FreeNAS got updated,
including an update to Samba.

Now only one of the OS/2 machines still works with the FreeNAS machine.
The other two can "see" the FreeNAS machine when I execute

net view

but

net view \\<machine name>

results in an "access denied" error message.

I don't recall setting up the machine that can still access the FreeNAS
machine any differently from the others, and I have not found any
differences in any of the networking-related files I've looked at so
far, but I do notice that when that one machine boots up, there is a
briefly displayed "splash screen" with a reference to IBM networking or
IBM LAN that I do not see on the other machines.

Where might the problem lie?

Aidan Grey

Mar 4, 2014, 6:59:32 PM3/4/14
Any chance that the NAS machine now is asking for an account and password
before it will let these machines access the files?

Perhaps the new version defaults to refusing access to any guest or public
user.

Aidan Grey

Percival P. Cassidy

Mar 5, 2014, 2:21:29 PM3/5/14
Thanks for the suggestion, but it's not that. After deleting and
recreating some accounts and (CIFS/"Windows") shares on the FreeNAS
machine, I now have the situation where

net view

does *not* show the FreeNAS machine when executed from any of the OS/2
machines, but

net view \\freenas

shows, or does not show, that machine's resources -- depending on which
user I log on as: two of the originals (myself and my wife) do not work,
but another one does. And if I create new accounts on the OS/2 machines,

net view \\freenas

works.

I even booted into a "maintenance configuration" that is an uncustomized
eCS 2.1 German, still with thee default userID and password of BENUTZER
and KENNWORT, respectively, and was able to access the resources on the
FreeNAS machine. (FreeNAS was configured to accept connections from
certain IP addresses without the need to log in.)

The FreeNAS docs. still have not been updated to take account of the
most recent changes, but I think I might just save my FreeNAS
configuration somewhere and start again with everything at default, then
recreate all the shares.

Percival P. Cassidy

Mar 5, 2014, 4:49:19 PM3/5/14
I deleted the shares on the FreeNAS machine "belonging to" my wife and
myself, then rebooted, then recreated those shares and stopped and
restarted the CIFS service.

Now, although

net view

does not show the FreeNAS machine