dsl modem communication problem

dilbert firestorm

Mar 14, 2011, 1:16:09 AM3/14/11
I have an arescome netdsl 800 dsl modem.

last thursday, I lost internet access. it appears that my router
failed. however, i have managed to get internet access going though the
dsl modem via VPN (by accident) on the win7 laptop. win7 networking
appears to be messed up.

I cannot get OS/2 to communicate with the dsl modem. Is there something
I have to do get it to talk to the modem at least temporarily until I
get a new router.

its not getting a valid IP address. it is dynamic PPPoe.

Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

Doug Bissett

Mar 14, 2011, 2:05:59 PM3/14/11
On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 05:16:09 UTC, dilbert firestorm
<sca...@bytemeati-55.com> wrote:

> I have an arescome netdsl 800 dsl modem.
>
> last thursday, I lost internet access. it appears that my router
> failed. however, i have managed to get internet access going though the
> dsl modem via VPN (by accident) on the win7 laptop. win7 networking
> appears to be messed up.
>
> I cannot get OS/2 to communicate with the dsl modem. Is there something
> I have to do get it to talk to the modem at least temporarily until I
> get a new router.
>
> its not getting a valid IP address. it is dynamic PPPoe.

Install PPPoe support, but it will be easier, and possibly faster, to
just get a new router.

--
From the eComStation of Doug Bissett
dougb007 at telus dot net

James Moe

Mar 14, 2011, 3:26:16 PM3/14/11
On 03/13/2011 10:16 PM, dilbert firestorm wrote:

> I cannot get OS/2 to communicate with the dsl modem. Is there something
> I have to do get it to talk to the modem at least temporarily until I
> get a new router.
>
> its not getting a valid IP address. it is dynamic PPPoe.

What is not getting a valid IP address? What is invalid about it?
Does the modem have an IP address on the same subnet as the other hosts?

--
James Moe
jmm-list at sohnen-moe dot com

dilbert firestorm

Mar 14, 2011, 6:17:24 PM3/14/11

well, I can't retreive the modems config page (192.168.1.10)

and I don't know the OS/2 equivalent of ipconfig.

--
<---=垂-Dilbert Firestorm-遙=--->

dilbert firestorm

Mar 14, 2011, 6:20:15 PM3/14/11
On 3/14/2011 1:05 PM, Doug Bissett wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 05:16:09 UTC, dilbert firestorm
> <sca...@bytemeati-55.com> wrote:
>
> > I have an arescome netdsl 800 dsl modem.
> >
> > last thursday, I lost internet access. it appears that my router
> > failed. however, i have managed to get internet access going though the
> > dsl modem via VPN (by accident) on the win7 laptop. win7 networking
> > appears to be messed up.
> >
> > I cannot get OS/2 to communicate with the dsl modem. Is there something
> > I have to do get it to talk to the modem at least temporarily until I
> > get a new router.
> >
> > its not getting a valid IP address. it is dynamic PPPoe.
>
> Install PPPoe support, but it will be easier, and possibly faster, to
> just get a new router.

it has tcp/ip support is that what you mean?

--
<---=垂-Dilbert Firestorm-遙=--->

Lars Erdmann

Mar 14, 2011, 6:39:00 PM3/14/11

"dilbert firestorm" <sca...@bytemeati-55.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

No. What he means is that if you have a "dumb" DSL modem that does not
handle the PPPoE protocol in FW (in other words: all by itself) that then
you can use SW solutions
to handle the PPPoE protocol:

http://www.os2site.com/sw/internet/firewall/sfl-1.3a-091019.zip

If on the other hand you have problems accessing your DSL modem via some IP
address (via TCP/IP),
why don't you just reset the complete DSL modem to its default settings ?
Plus you need to make sure that the DSL modem is in the same subnet as your
PC (or you need to set up a default route).
Since your DSL modem is in subnet 192.168.1 (IP address: 192.168.1.10) your
PC should also be in that subnet, for example:
IP address: 192.168.1.20
netmask: 255.255.255.0

Lars

Doug Bissett

Mar 14, 2011, 7:13:46 PM3/14/11
On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 22:20:15 UTC, dilbert firestorm
<sca...@bytemeati-55.com> wrote:

> On 3/14/2011 1:05 PM, Doug Bissett wrote:
> > On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 05:16:09 UTC, dilbert firestorm
> > <sca...@bytemeati-55.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I have an arescome netdsl 800 dsl modem.
> > >
> > > last thursday, I lost internet access. it appears that my router
> > > failed. however, i have managed to get internet access going though the
> > > dsl modem via VPN (by accident) on the win7 laptop. win7 networking
> > > appears to be messed up.
> > >
> > > I cannot get OS/2 to communicate with the dsl modem. Is there something
> > > I have to do get it to talk to the modem at least temporarily until I
> > > get a new router.
> > >
> > > its not getting a valid IP address. it is dynamic PPPoe.
> >
> > Install PPPoe support, but it will be easier, and possibly faster, to
> > just get a new router.
> >
> it has tcp/ip support is that what you mean?

No. There is a PPPoe driver that can (I think) be found in:
\CID\SERVER\ECSPKG\CONET100.EXE
on the eCS install CD. I am not too sure exactly how you can install
that, but once it is installed, it has the PPPoe driver, which you
then need to configure. The last time I did that, was for my brother.
It refused to configure, and the answer was to get a cheap router,
which also added DHCP and WiFi capability to the network. The router
looks after the PPPoe stuff, but does require some configuration.

Of course, your modem may have a built in router, with an easy to use
PPPoe on the internet side, and TCP/IP on the computer side. However,
i would assume that it doesn't have that, since you were using another
router with it.

You should ask your friends, somebody may have a router sitting around
taking up space.

Peter Brown

Mar 14, 2011, 7:50:18 PM3/14/11
Hi dilbert

dilbert firestorm wrote:
> On 3/14/2011 2:26 PM, James Moe wrote:
>> On 03/13/2011 10:16 PM, dilbert firestorm wrote:
>> >
>> > I cannot get OS/2 to communicate with the dsl modem. Is there something
>> > I have to do get it to talk to the modem at least temporarily until I
>> > get a new router.
>> >
>> > its not getting a valid IP address. it is dynamic PPPoe.
>> >
>> What is not getting a valid IP address? What is invalid about it?
>> Does the modem have an IP address on the same subnet as the other hosts?
>>

> well, I can't retreive the modems config page (192.168.1.10)
>
> and I don't know the OS/2 equivalent of ipconfig.

Maybe this page will be of help
http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=316967&page=9

Regards

Pete

James Moe

Mar 15, 2011, 4:26:34 PM3/15/11
On 03/14/2011 03:17 PM, dilbert firestorm wrote:
>> Does the modem have an IP address on the same subnet as the other hosts?
>
> well, I can't retreive the modems config page (192.168.1.10)

Is the DSL modem on the same subnet as the os/2 host?

> and I don't know the OS/2 equivalent of ipconfig.

Look at <c:/mtpn/bin/setup.cmd>. It is the network interface setup script.

Trevor Hemsley

Mar 15, 2011, 9:03:52 PM3/15/11
On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 22:17:24 UTC in comp.os.os2.networking.misc, dilbert
firestorm <sca...@bytemeati-55.com> wrote:

> I don't know the OS/2 equivalent of ipconfig.

To display the current configuration use netstat -a

--
Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

dilbert firestorm

Mar 26, 2011, 3:27:55 AM3/26/11
On 3/15/2011 8:03 PM, Trevor Hemsley wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 22:17:24 UTC in comp.os.os2.networking.misc, dilbert
> firestorm<sca...@bytemeati-55.com> wrote:
>
> > I don't know the OS/2 equivalent of ipconfig.
>
> To display the current configuration use netstat -a

fyi, the issue has been resolved. I ended up buying a new modem &
router. the router apparently failed and part of the modem wasn't
working properly.

Aidan Grey

Mar 27, 2011, 5:42:06 PM3/27/11
On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 17:17:24 -0500, dilbert firestorm wrote:

>On 3/14/2011 2:26 PM, James Moe wrote:
>> On 03/13/2011 10:16 PM, dilbert firestorm wrote:
>> >
>> > I cannot get OS/2 to communicate with the dsl modem. Is there something
>> > I have to do get it to talk to the modem at least temporarily until I
>> > get a new router.
>> >
>> > its not getting a valid IP address. it is dynamic PPPoe.
>> >
>> What is not getting a valid IP address? What is invalid about it?
>> Does the modem have an IP address on the same subnet as the other hosts?
>>

>well, I can't retreive the modems config page (192.168.1.10)
>
>and I don't know the OS/2 equivalent of ipconfig.
>
>--

><---=®®-Dilbert Firestorm-¯¯=--->

>Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

Try ifconfig lan0 .

Aidan Grey