How to connect to Win7 host from OS/2 gust in VirtualBox

KO Myung-Hun

Mar 24, 2013, 7:58:24 AM3/24/13
Hi/2.

Maybe you know the way to connect to Win7 host from OS/2 guest in
VirtualBox. Then it's ok to skip this article. ^^

At first, you should read a very useful article by Gene Alexander before
reading this.

http://www.eracc.com/content/ecs-samba-client-windows-7-professional

That article describes the way about a real machine. Now, do it for a
virtual machine. ^^

When you install VirtualBox, VirtualBox Host-Only Network is installed.
You can do the share using this software loopback adapter.

First, check the IP address of the VirtualBox Host-Only Network adapter.
There are many ways to do this. It's ok to do whatever you know of these
ways. In this article, check in VirtualBox.

1. Open VirtualBox
2. File - Preferences... - Network
3. Select 'VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter'
4. Click 'Edit' icon on the right of list box.
5. Now you can check the IP address and IPv4 Network Mask.
6. Click DHCP Server tab
7. Then check 'Enable Server'
8. Fill in the entry fields as you want

The following is my case.

IPv4 Address : 192.168.56.1
IPv4 Network Mask : 255.255.255.0

Server Address : 192.168.56.100
Server Mask : 255.255.255.0
Lower Address Bound : 192.168.56.101
Upper Address Bound : 192.168.56.254

Then, select your virtual machine. And open your Network settings of
your virtual machine.

Now you should choose a network type of virtual machine. In this case,
choose NAT. Of course, you should check 'Cable connected'. ^^

Then, open your virtual machine. Your OS/2 virtual machine should be
configured by DHCP client. If you don't know this, please refer to other
document or article. Maybe google is your friend. ^^

Now we came to the very important stage.

Check your samba client version. You should use 3.5.x build. In my case,
3.3.x build cannot to connect to Win7 host.

Of course, if you have no problem you don't have to upgrade to 3.5.x build.

If all are ready, configure samba client. If you read the article by
Gene Alexander carefully, when you mount a samba resource, it's ok just
to fill in Server field with the IP address of you VirtualBox Host-Only
Adapter. In this case, it was 192.168.56.1.

That's all. Now you can connect to Win7 host from OS/2 guest in VirtualBox.

The good point of this method is that there is no need to worry about
which external adapter is connected to the internet. It's enough that
only one adapter of those is connected.

But the bad point is that bottle-neck phenomenon occurs when accessing a
shared resource from time to time, and fails to open a file due to the
same reason.

I don't know the reason exactly, I guess this is a problem of VirtualBox
Host-Only Network adapter which is a software loopback not a samba client.

If possible, you can avoid this problem using Bridged Adapter. You can
choose this in your network settings of your virtual machine. All you to
do is choose 'Bridged Adapter' instead of 'NAT' at 'Attached to'. And
you should choose a real adapter to be bridged.

In this case, you should configure your virtual machine in according to
your real network configuration. If your network uses DHCP, it should be
configured automatically by DHCP, otherwise manually as guided by your
network administrator. Because bridged adapter is treated a another real
network adapter in the external. Of course, you should fill in Server
field with IP address of your bridged adapter.

This method has no bottle-neck problem as NAT. But the bridged-adapter
is not connected to internet in spite of other adapter's begin
connected, your virtual machine cannot be connected to the internet.
And you should be assigned an additional IP address from your network
administator.

Now all you have to do is to enjoy the convenient from the sharing
between Win7 and OS/2.

Good luck. ^^

--
KO Myung-Hun

Using Mozilla SeaMonkey 2.7.2
Under OS/2 Warp 4 for Korean with FixPak #15
In VirtualBox v4.1.22 on Intel Core i7-3615QM 2.30GHz with 8GB RAM

Korean OS/2 User Community : http://www.ecomstation.co.kr

L.Soens

Mar 25, 2013, 5:47:00 PM3/25/13
On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 11:58:24 UTC, KO Myung-Hun <ko...@chollian.net>
wrote:

> But the bridged-adapter
> is not connected to internet in spite of other adapter's begin
> connected, your virtual machine cannot be connected to the internet.

My eCS VM (Win7 Host) has the "bridged adapter", and it goes to the
internet with its own IP address. Of course, the default route is set
to the router. And the Samba client works fine here (and much better
than Peer...), following Gene's excellent article.

Regards,
Lothar

--
lothar .dot. soens .at. t .minus. online .dot. de

Wegen Unregelmᅵᅵigkeiten im Betrieb fᅵhrt die Bahn heute pᅵnktlich.
Due to irregular service all trains go on schedule today.

James Moe

Mar 26, 2013, 11:59:36 AM3/26/13
On 03/25/2013 02:47 PM, L.Soens wrote:

> My eCS VM (Win7 Host) has the "bridged adapter", and it goes to the
> internet with its own IP address. Of course, the default route is set
> to the router.

I've always used the "bridged adapter" option for a guest OS in
VirtualBox. The other options seem like specialty cases.

> And the Samba client works fine here (and much better
> than Peer...), following Gene's excellent article.

Would you provide a link to the excellent article?

--
James Moe
jmm-list at sohnen-moe dot com

Dave Yeo

Mar 26, 2013, 8:07:27 PM3/26/13
James Moe wrote:
>> And the Samba client works fine here (and much better
>> > than Peer...), following Gene's excellent article.
>> >
> Would you provide a link to the excellent article?

It's in the grand-parent,
http://www.eracc.com/content/ecs-samba-client-windows-7-professional
Dave

L.Soens

Mar 29, 2013, 4:45:35 AM3/29/13
On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 15:59:36 UTC, James Moe
<jimoe...@sohnen-moe.com> wrote:

> Would you provide a link to the excellent article?

it's in this thread ... :-)
There is still a tiny issue in EVFSGUI: it can't do with a Blank
inside your 'user' name or 'shared directory' name; that Blank would
be a delimiter in Rexx underneath. You might check the resulting *.evp
file.
If your chosen 'user' name, however, happens to have a Blank inside,
you'll have to _create_ a <new_user> in Win7 and move all <old user>
data to <new_user>: subdirectory by subdirectory RMB and 'Path',
overtype etc. Not trivial, just renaming the <user> or simple copying
data is not sufficient. If all goes well, you may erase <old user>
and his data, but can even rename <new_user> to <old user> for your
_login screen appearance_ (if you like), would login as <new_user>
though.

James Moe

Mar 29, 2013, 1:36:46 PM3/29/13
On 03/26/2013 05:07 PM, Dave Yeo wrote:
> James Moe wrote:
>>> And the Samba client works fine here (and much better
>>> >
>> Would you provide a link to the excellent article?
>
> It's in the grand-parent,

Urk. Thanks.
I was hoping for an article that described, clearly, how to install
Samba on os/2. I have tried a few times with no success.

KO Myung-Hun

Mar 29, 2013, 11:46:22 PM3/29/13

L.Soens wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 11:58:24 UTC, KO Myung-Hun <ko...@chollian.net>
> wrote:
>
>> But the bridged-adapter
>> is not connected to internet in spite of other adapter's begin
>> connected, your virtual machine cannot be connected to the internet.
>>

> My eCS VM (Win7 Host) has the "bridged adapter", and it goes to the
> internet with its own IP address. Of course, the default route is set
> to the router. And the Samba client works fine here (and much better
> than Peer...), following Gene's excellent article.

Ooops... Please read it as this.

>> But *if* the bridged-adapter
>> is not connected to internet in spite of other adapter's *being*
>> connected, *then* your virtual machine cannot be connected to the
internet.

Doug Bissett

Mar 30, 2013, 3:28:58 PM3/30/13
On Fri, 29 Mar 2013 17:36:46 UTC, James Moe
<jimoe...@sohnen-moe.com> wrote:

> >> Would you provide a link to the excellent article?
> >
> > It's in the grand-parent,
> >
> Urk. Thanks.
> I was hoping for an article that described, clearly, how to install
> Samba on os/2. I have tried a few times with no success.

Use the WarpIN installer. That seems to work best. Also, be very
careful what you use for SET UNIXROOT=. You can have some serious
conflicts with RPM/YUM, and possibly some other *NIX ports.

I *think* the one that I am using is:

> ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/samba/server/samba-1-1-2.wpi

The rest of the gory details are at:

--
From the eComStation of Doug Bissett
dougb007 at telus dot net