Strange Warp problem with ELNK

CY

Apr 3, 2011, 8:24:12 AM4/3/11
When booting up it stops indicating ELNK59x$ is stopping the system

Booting without network attached it works, wondering if
the system dont like 100MB/FDX at boot.

As thats what it negotiate with our cisco switch when fully started.

Box it down to 10MB/HDX is a way to go, but it feels like a cheat.

Sorry for my English, but hope I could make myself understood anyway.

Chris

Ruediger Ihle

Apr 3, 2011, 10:08:34 AM4/3/11
On Sun, 3 Apr 2011 12:24:12 UTC, CY <chri...@gmail.com> wrote:

> When booting up it stops indicating ELNK59x$ is stopping the system
>
> Booting without network attached it works, wondering if
> the system dont like 100MB/FDX at boot.

The 3C59x was 3COM's first attempt to create a PCI network
card. It never worked right under any OS. It was on the market
only for a very short period time and quickly got replaced by
the much better 3C90x series. I suggest not to waste time on
that crappy piece of hardware.

--
Ruediger "Rudi" Ihle [S&T Systemtechnik GmbH, Germany]
http://www.s-t.de

CY

Apr 3, 2011, 10:29:49 AM4/3/11
On 3 Apr, 16:08, "Ruediger Ihle" <NO_SPAM_R.I...@S-t.De> wrote:

Thanks, so will chek around for some less crappy cards at work, its a
bit like grave digging. But might be some out there.

Trevor Hemsley

Apr 3, 2011, 11:40:01 AM4/3/11
On Sun, 3 Apr 2011 14:29:49 UTC in comp.os.os2.networking.misc, CY
<chri...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks, so will chek around for some less crappy cards at work, its a
> bit like grave digging. But might be some out there.

Can thoroughly recommend 10/100 Intel PCI cards if you have any of those lying
around. I picked one up a few years ago for £5 at a computer fair and it worked
perfectly until I upgraded to GbE.

--
Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

ivan

Apr 3, 2011, 1:33:19 PM4/3/11

You could look for some of the cards with an RTL8139 chip on them -
they work without problems and the driver is on hobbes (rtsnd323.zip I
think). I pick mine up at the local supermarket for 5 to 10 euro.

ivan

Andreas Kohl

Apr 4, 2011, 10:40:53 AM4/4/11
Hello

CY schrieb:

> When booting up it stops indicating ELNK59x$ is stopping the system
>
> Booting without network attached it works, wondering if
> the system dont like 100MB/FDX at boot.

Please check which driver is installed.
It depends on the used adapter type:
* 3C590 - EtherLink III PCI
* 3C595 - Fast EtherLink III 10/100 PCI (T4,TX variants)
* 3C597 - Fast EtherLink III 10/100 EISA

You should boot from a DOS floppy and run 3C59XCFG.EXE from the "3Com
Etherdisk" <ftp://ftp.3com.com/pub/nic/3c59x/3c59xn.exe>.
Here you can do settings and check connectivity.

> As thats what it negotiate with our cisco switch when fully started.
>
> Box it down to 10MB/HDX is a way to go, but it feels like a cheat.

With 3C590 adapter type with no support for fast ethernet 10MB/FDX
should be usable.

Regards,
Andreas Kohl

CY

Apr 4, 2011, 11:01:24 AM4/4/11
Thanks all, the next service window W19 I´ll do some tests then.

CY

Apr 12, 2011, 9:56:36 AM4/12/11
Got hold of a pair of 3C905B cards, will check hobbes for drivers so
thats on its way.

A bit off topic but:

But was thinking about warp+sata drive, anyone tested that?

Upgrading to eCS (or what it´s called) might help I guess.

Chris

ivan

Apr 12, 2011, 12:08:22 PM4/12/11

If you use the latest Dani drivers you shouldn't have any problems
with sata drives. I have one box with two 500 GB sata drives and
another with a 500 GB sata and a 1 TB sata drive as well as two sata
DVD drives. Both boxes work without any problems.

ivan

CY

Apr 12, 2011, 12:22:36 PM4/12/11
> If you use the latest Dani drivers you shouldn't have any problems
> with sata drives.  I have one box with two 500 GB sata drives and
> another with a 500 GB sata and a 1 TB sata drive as well as two sata
> DVD drives.  Both boxes work without any problems.
>
> ivan
> --

Ok, perfect. I´ll give it a go then. Would be nice with new(er)
hardware.

Thanks.

Chris