Cameraderie and devices >2GB

Alex Taylor

Apr 22, 2010, 4:37:01 AM4/22/10
I recently got a new 8GB memory stick for my digital camera.

Now, I usually use Cameraderie in PTP mode to get the pictures off it.
But I've discovered that it won't read the new memory stick, perhaps
because it's larger than 2GB (?)...

The first time I tried it, it just said it couldn't read the device.

I tried again today to check the exact message, but now whenever I open
Cameraderie with the camera plugged in, the system instantly traps.
(The trapdump is corrupted so I unfortunately can't get the trap screen
data.)

I also tried switching over to USB-MSD mode, but that doesn't work
either because of the size of the device. (It doesn't work under
Win2K either, for what it's worth, although it does work under XP.)

Does anyone have experience with getting pictures off a camera with a
very large memory stick?

--
Alex Taylor
Fukushima, Japan

Please take off hat when replying.

Peter Brown

Apr 22, 2010, 11:21:45 AM4/22/10
Hi Alex

Alex Taylor wrote:
> I recently got a new 8GB memory stick for my digital camera.
>
> Now, I usually use Cameraderie in PTP mode to get the pictures off it.
> But I've discovered that it won't read the new memory stick, perhaps
> because it's larger than 2GB (?)...
>
> The first time I tried it, it just said it couldn't read the device.
>
> I tried again today to check the exact message, but now whenever I open
> Cameraderie with the camera plugged in, the system instantly traps.
> (The trapdump is corrupted so I unfortunately can't get the trap screen
> data.)
>

> I also tried switching over to USB-MSD mode, but that doesn't work
> either because of the size of the device. (It doesn't work under
> Win2K either, for what it's worth, although it does work under XP.)
>
> Does anyone have experience with getting pictures off a camera with a
> very large memory stick?

With regard to "USB-MSD mode": Did you make the 8GB memory stick into a
Volume using LVM before trying to access it?

Regards

Pete

Pierre Jelenc

Apr 22, 2010, 1:08:44 PM4/22/10
Peter Brown <losepeteS...@ntlworld.com> writes:

> With regard to "USB-MSD mode": Did you make the 8GB memory stick into a
> Volume using LVM before trying to access it?

I have the same problem as Alex. I needed to extract some pictures from a
4GB SDHC card from a Lumix camera. However, when I plugged it into the
reader I use for my 1GB cards, LVM /RediscoverPRM seemed to go into some
infinite loop, with CPU usage at 100%. I let it run for 5 minutes, but
nothing happened and I had to kill the process.

The card works fine in at least 3 different models of cameras.

Pierre
--
Pierre Jelenc
The Gigometer www.gigometer.com

Ilya Zakharevich

Apr 22, 2010, 4:02:08 PM4/22/10
On 2010-04-22, Pierre Jelenc <rc...@panix.com> wrote:
> Peter Brown <losepeteS...@ntlworld.com> writes:
>>
>> With regard to "USB-MSD mode": Did you make the 8GB memory stick into a
>> Volume using LVM before trying to access it?
>
> I have the same problem as Alex. I needed to extract some pictures from a
> 4GB SDHC card from a Lumix camera. However, when I plugged it into the
> reader I use for my 1GB cards, LVM /RediscoverPRM seemed to go into some
> infinite loop, with CPU usage at 100%. I let it run for 5 minutes, but
> nothing happened and I had to kill the process.
>
> The card works fine in at least 3 different models of cameras.

My standard response to problems like these is: upgrade to FDISK-based
DASD. LVM was a nice idea to have in mind, but the implementation is
not acceptable for production use.

[I do not have any problem like this... - but one also should
remember some options on CONFIG.SYS; mine are /CHS on the USBMSD
line - otherwise >100GB drives had problems.]

Hope this helps,
Ilya

Peter Brown

Apr 22, 2010, 6:03:16 PM4/22/10
Hi Pierre

Pierre Jelenc wrote:
> Peter Brown<losepeteS...@ntlworld.com> writes:
>>
>> With regard to "USB-MSD mode": Did you make the 8GB memory stick into a
>> Volume using LVM before trying to access it?
>
> I have the same problem as Alex. I needed to extract some pictures from a
> 4GB SDHC card from a Lumix camera. However, when I plugged it into the
> reader I use for my 1GB cards, LVM /RediscoverPRM seemed to go into some
> infinite loop, with CPU usage at 100%. I let it run for 5 minutes, but
> nothing happened and I had to kill the process.
>
> The card works fine in at least 3 different models of cameras.
>
> Pierre

Smaller USB drives - 2Gb or less - get treated as a "large floppy" drive
and assigned the next free Drive letter but a larger drive needs to be
made into a Volume before OS/2 can use it.

Regards

Pete

Ilya Zakharevich

Apr 22, 2010, 10:45:25 PM4/22/10
On 2010-04-22, Peter Brown <losepeteS...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Smaller USB drives - 2Gb or less - get treated as a "large floppy" drive
> and assigned the next free Drive letter but a larger drive needs to be
> made into a Volume before OS/2 can use it.

Are you sure? I would think the difference is only in the presence of
the partition table, not in the size...

Yours,
Ilya

Peter Brown

Apr 22, 2010, 10:54:03 PM4/22/10
Hi Ilya

That has been my experience on several eCS systems here.

Regards

Pete

Pierre Jelenc

Apr 23, 2010, 1:03:06 AM4/23/10
Peter Brown <losepeteS...@ntlworld.com> writes:

> Smaller USB drives - 2Gb or less - get treated as a "large floppy" drive
> and assigned the next free Drive letter but a larger drive needs to be
> made into a Volume before OS/2 can use it.

Can that be done without screwing it up for everything else? That USB card
needs to work in one of several cameras, as well as a Windows (Vista I
believe) and Mac (fairly recent OS X whatever) computer.

James J. Weinkam

Apr 23, 2010, 1:55:42 AM4/23/10
Pierre Jelenc wrote:
> Peter Brown <losepeteS...@ntlworld.com> writes:
>> Smaller USB drives - 2Gb or less - get treated as a "large floppy" drive
>> and assigned the next free Drive letter but a larger drive needs to be
>> made into a Volume before OS/2 can use it.
>
> Can that be done without screwing it up for everything else? That USB card
> needs to work in one of several cameras, as well as a Windows (Vista I
> believe) and Mac (fairly recent OS X whatever) computer.
>
> Pierre

My experience with cards >2GB is that if you don't add LVM information,
OS/2/eCS refuses to operate the drive. I have never seen adding LVM
information cause a problem for any camera or for any version of Windows. I
always use DFSee to add the lvm information. Sometimes a chkdsk is also
necessary.

After copying my pictures, I usually delete them from the card. This also does
not cause any problems in the camera.

Alex Taylor

Apr 23, 2010, 5:47:01 AM4/23/10
On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 15:21:45 UTC, Peter Brown
<losepeteS...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> > Now, I usually use Cameraderie in PTP mode to get the pictures off it.
> > But I've discovered that it won't read the new memory stick, perhaps
> > because it's larger than 2GB (?)...
> >
> > The first time I tried it, it just said it couldn't read the device.
> >
> > I tried again today to check the exact message, but now whenever I
> > open Cameraderie with the camera plugged in, the system instantly
> > traps.
> >
> > I also tried switching over to USB-MSD mode, but that doesn't work
> > either because of the size of the device.
>
> With regard to "USB-MSD mode": Did you make the 8GB memory stick into a
> Volume using LVM before trying to access it?

No. I know that would probably work, but I don't want to lose all the
pictures that are already on the card.

My question was really about getting PTP mode to work.

Paul Smedley

Apr 24, 2010, 5:50:53 AM4/24/10
Hi Alex,

I use PTP mode with our Nikon D80 with 16gb SHDC card and it works
fine.

However, with my Nokia N97 that has 32gb built in, Cameraderie
fails...

--
Cheers,

Paul.

Pete

Mar 29, 2012, 11:34:23 PM3/29/12
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 09:50:53 UTC, "Paul Smedley"
<pauld...@despamsmedley.id.au> wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 09:47:01 UTC, "Alex Taylor"
> <mai...@reply.to.address> wrote:

If the card has been formatted with exFAT, OS/2-eCS won't be able to read it,
period (DFSee will report "large floppy" and tell you the same thing). Unlike
FAT32, there's no exFAT file system driver for OS/2.

Pete

Alex Taylor

Mar 30, 2012, 9:17:01 AM3/30/12
On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 03:34:23 UTC, "Pete" <khadhargo@sbc...nospam.-.global.net>
wrote:

> If the card has been formatted with exFAT, OS/2-eCS won't be able to read
> it, period (DFSee will report "large floppy" and tell you the same thing).

Fortunately that wasn't the case with that particular memory card - IIRC,
I eventually got it to work under eCS 2.0 GA (where it never worked under
the earlier version I'd been trying). Probably an updated USB driver or
storage was responsible.

OTOH, I haven't gotten my Android phone and its 32GB SD card to be
recognized, but then I haven't dug into it very much. (It helps that
I can actually FTP to the phone to get files, if I need to.)

Peter Brown

Mar 30, 2012, 9:43:23 AM3/30/12
Hi All

Pete wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 09:50:53 UTC, "Paul Smedley"
> <pauld...@despamsmedley.id.au> wrote:
>
>> Hi Alex,
>>
>> On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 09:47:01 UTC, "Alex Taylor"
>> <mai...@reply.to.address> wrote:

Something wrong there as I never posted the above and do not use
Cameraderie at all.

Regards

Pete

Dariusz Piatkowski

Apr 3, 2012, 1:20:25 PM4/3/12
Hi Alex!

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 08:37:01 UTC, "Alex Taylor" <mai...@reply.to.address>
wrote:

> I recently got a new 8GB memory stick for my digital camera.
>
> Now, I usually use Cameraderie in PTP mode to get the pictures off it.
> But I've discovered that it won't read the new memory stick, perhaps
> because it's larger than 2GB (?)...

...snip...

> Does anyone have experience with getting pictures off a camera with a
> very large memory stick?

Using a 16 Gig SDHC card here with my Pentax K5. It is defined as a LVM
recognized volume and formatted as a FAT32 FS. This is good enough...the change
that made it work was the fact that I assigned a volume letter to the partition
(as best as I can remember). Not sure if I had LVM create the actual partition
itself though...I remember worrying a little bit about whether the camera was
going to complain that there is an unformatted SDHC card in there and so on.

This combination works fine for me, only problem is, I can not create a file
(really just MJPG) that's larger then the 2Gig limit...

James J. Weinkam

Apr 3, 2012, 10:55:50 PM4/3/12
Dariusz Piatkowski wrote:
> Hi Alex!
>
> On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 08:37:01 UTC, "Alex Taylor"<mai...@reply.to.address>
> wrote:
>
>> I recently got a new 8GB memory stick for my digital camera.
>>
>> Now, I usually use Cameraderie in PTP mode to get the pictures off it.
>> But I've discovered that it won't read the new memory stick, perhaps
>> because it's larger than 2GB (?)...
>
> ...snip...
>
>> Does anyone have experience with getting pictures off a camera with a
>> very large memory stick?
>
> Using a 16 Gig SDHC card here with my Pentax K5. It is defined as a LVM
> recognized volume and formatted as a FAT32 FS. This is good enough...the change
> that made it work was the fact that I assigned a volume letter to the partition
> (as best as I can remember).

In general, removable media larger than 2GB needs to have LVM information in order to be accessed by OS/2 or eCS. DFSee
can add the LVM information without the need to recreate the partition. It is sometimes also necessary to fix the hidden
sectors information and possibly run chkdsk before the device can be accessed. Most cameras, GPSs and recording devices
that use such memory cards do not get upset with either the LVM information or other files that you may add to the
memory card. However there are some that do refuse to work if they think the card has been tampered with.

Not sure if I had LVM create the actual partition
> itself though...I remember worrying a little bit about whether the camera was
> going to complain that there is an unformatted SDHC card in there and so on.
>
> This combination works fine for me, only problem is, I can not create a file
> (really just MJPG) that's larger then the 2Gig limit...

That is a limitation of the FAT32 file system. I believe the "official" limit is 2GB less 1 byte. However, despite this
"limitation" some camera firmware and some versions of windows will actually process files up to 4GB. If I put a big
enough card in it, my Canon S5 camera will make a movie a bit over 30 minutes duration which generates a 4GB .avi file.
eCS displays the correct size but will only process the first 2GB. Windows XP displays an incorrect size but will
process the whole file. Go figure.

Allan

Apr 4, 2012, 6:45:39 AM4/4/12
On Wed, 4 Apr 2012 02:55:50 UTC, "James J. Weinkam" <j...@cs.sfu.ca> wrote:

> > This combination works fine for me, only problem is, I can not create a file
> > (really just MJPG) that's larger then the 2Gig limit...
>
> That is a limitation of the FAT32 file system. I believe the "official" limit is 2GB less 1 byte. However, despite this
> "limitation" some camera firmware and some versions of windows will actually process files up to 4GB. If I put a big
> enough card in it, my Canon S5 camera will make a movie a bit over 30 minutes duration which generates a 4GB .avi file.
> eCS displays the correct size but will only process the first 2GB. Windows XP displays an incorrect size but will
> process the whole file. Go figure.

The FAT32 IFS driver have never been updated to include the 'new' L API's
that are needed to access files larger than 2GB.

The driver is still Open Source, so you just need to find a developer,
that has the time to do the job :-)

--
Allan.

It is better to close your mouth, and look like a fool,
than to open it, and remove all doubt.

Alex Taylor

Apr 7, 2012, 6:45:00 AM4/7/12
On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 17:20:25 UTC, "Dariusz Piatkowski"
<dariusz@_NO-SPAM_mnsi.net> wrote:

> Hi Alex!
>
> On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 08:37:01 UTC, "Alex Taylor" <mai...@reply.to.address>
> wrote:

--snip--

Appreciate the response, but is there any particular reason why people
are suddenly replying to my two-year-old messages?

James J. Weinkam

Apr 7, 2012, 6:03:31 PM4/7/12
Alex Taylor wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 17:20:25 UTC, "Dariusz Piatkowski"
> <dariusz@_NO-SPAM_mnsi.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi Alex!
>>
>> On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 08:37:01 UTC, "Alex Taylor"<mai...@reply.to.address>
>> wrote:
>
> --snip--
>
> Appreciate the response, but is there any particular reason why people
> are suddenly replying to my two-year-old messages?

Well, I replied to Dariusz's message dated 2012/04/03. Didn't notice the your message he was replying to was two years old.

As to that problem, I think some news servers must have bugs that sometimes cause ancient messages to resurface. On
several occasions I have had a sense of deja vu and looked at the message date only to see that an old message had
reappeared. Another possibility in this case, given the time of year, is some sort of April Fool joke.

Dariusz Piatkowski

Apr 10, 2012, 11:05:30 AM4/10/12
Oh...wow you guys...LOL...I had no idea...for whatever reason my newserver
flaged that as a NEW message and given the tiny community we 'live in' I always
try to respond to the posts with whatever information I have that may help.

Again...my appologies for brining this back to life...well, hopefully someone
else out there can make use of it.

Allan

Apr 10, 2012, 7:22:50 PM4/10/12
On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 15:05:30 UTC, "Dariusz Piatkowski" <dariusz@_NO-SPAM_mnsi.net> wrote:

> Oh...wow you guys...LOL...I had no idea...for whatever reason my newserver
> flaged that as a NEW message and given the tiny community we 'live in' I always
> try to respond to the posts with whatever information I have that may help.

It is not the news-SERVER that create that flag, that is your news-CLIENT :-)

Anyway, yes, that is a long standing bug in Pronews, that I have seen from
time to time too. I'm sorry that I haven't (yet) sent a bug report to the developer(s)
about it - I should have done years ago.

Until fixed, watch out for the time stamp on 'New' msgs - _especially_ if these
pop up in the middle of a thread.

Alex Taylor

Apr 15, 2012, 8:34:01 AM4/15/12
On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 15:05:30 UTC, "Dariusz Piatkowski"
<dariusz@_NO-SPAM_mnsi.net> wrote:

> > > Appreciate the response, but is there any particular reason why people
> > > are suddenly replying to my two-year-old messages?
>
> Oh...wow you guys...LOL...I had no idea...for whatever reason my newserver
> flaged that as a NEW message and given the tiny community we 'live in' I
> always try to respond to the posts with whatever information I have that
> may help.
>
> Again...my appologies for brining this back to life...well, hopefully
> someone else out there can make use of it.

No problem, it's nice that people respond!