DVD video - unable to read?

Mentore Siesto

Dec 12, 2010, 4:58:19 PM12/12/10
Hello all.

I have built an eCS 2 machine with a DVD player and a DVD recorder.

Having a fresh install I suppose I also have the latest UDF.IFS
(installed and working AFAICT).

Still I seem unable to make eCS see a DVD video disc.

As I insert a DVD into the reader (or the writer) it seems unable to
recognize it.

This happens also with DVDs I record onto a DVD recorder, no matter
what I do.

Might someone suggest something? I think it's strange that UDF.IFS
can't see a DVD formatted disc.

Thanks in advance!

--
Mentore Siesto

Dave Yeo

Dec 12, 2010, 5:27:16 PM12/12/10

Did you install cdfs?
Dave

Mentore

Dec 13, 2010, 3:58:17 AM12/13/10

Do you mean CDFS.IFS?

I can't verify it for now. Will take a look this evening.

Thank you Dave.

Mentore

Mentore Siesto

Dec 13, 2010, 4:30:56 PM12/13/10
Il giorno Mon, 13 Dec 2010 08:58:17 UTC, Mentore
<mentore...@libero.it> ha scritto:

Ok, I got these two lines in CONFIG.SYS:

IFS=C:\OS2\BOOT\UDF.IFS
IFS=C:\OS2\BOOT\CDFS.IFS /Q /W

I should gather more info on these...

Mentore

Peter Brown

Dec 13, 2010, 4:41:27 PM12/13/10
Hi Mentore

Mentore Siesto wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I have built an eCS 2 machine with a DVD player and a DVD recorder.
>
> Having a fresh install I suppose I also have the latest UDF.IFS
> (installed and working AFAICT).
>
> Still I seem unable to make eCS see a DVD video disc.
>
> As I insert a DVD into the reader (or the writer) it seems unable to
> recognize it.
>
> This happens also with DVDs I record onto a DVD recorder, no matter
> what I do.

Did you Finalise/Make Compatible the recorded dvd?

> Might someone suggest something? I think it's strange that UDF.IFS
> can't see a DVD formatted disc.

How about blank dvd+/-rw discs?

> Thanks in advance!

What hardware is involved? - ie mainboard chipset and are the dvd drives
ide or sata.

Is acpi involved? - if "Yes" post the config.sys line starting psd=

Can you play a dvd using (s)mplayer or vlc?

Regards

Pete

Dave Yeo

Dec 13, 2010, 7:48:03 PM12/13/10

It should work. Lots of DVD's actually use CDFS which is why I asked.
You could change the /Q to /V to see if there is any weird output when
booting.
Dave

Mentore Siesto

Dec 14, 2010, 5:23:25 PM12/14/10
Il giorno Mon, 13 Dec 2010 21:41:27 UTC, Peter Brown
<losepeteS...@ntlworld.com> ha scritto:

Let me explain a little more (I'm afraid I wrote too little :( )

I can read CDs and data DVDs without problems. The trouble is in
recognizing a video DVD.

Knowing a DVD video actually has a tree structure (and I can see it
correctly under Windoze), I tried to just read the disc and failed. In
the next few days I will try to play a dvd and/or rip it. We'll see :)

The same problem, btw, occurs on a linux install on the same system.

Mentore

Ilya Zakharevich

Dec 14, 2010, 8:48:13 PM12/14/10
On 2010-12-14, Mentore Siesto <mentor...@fattimiei.zx> wrote:
> I can read CDs and data DVDs without problems. The trouble is in
> recognizing a video DVD.

I have no clue what you mean by "recognizing".

> Knowing a DVD video actually has a tree structure (and I can see it
> correctly under Windoze), I tried to just read the disc and failed.

I have no clue what you mean by "failed".

AFAIK, a correctly created DVD can be read in 3 different ways: by
direct sector access (IFO is at known offset, and specifies at which
offsets the rest of the data is), by ISO-NUMBERS filesystem
(recognized by cdfs.ifs), and by UDF (version?) filesystem
(recognzided by udf.ifs).

Anyway, data sectors may be encrypted; AND the encryption process may
be "obscured" by region codes.

Given all this, one cannot deduce what happens from scarce fragment
you have written. Run DVDDAO reader in verbose mode - it would bive
you more details.

Ilya

P.S. I use

dvddao --aspidriver aspirou$ --source-device %SCSI_CD% --device file:%1 --eject --verbose 4 %2& s:

%1 is any file name; %2& is usually empty; to find %SCSI_CD%, I would
run

cdrecord2 -scanbus | less

(cdredord - one without 2 - gives incompatible SCSI_CD; sigh... But
people with newer cd-WHATEVER.dmd can use drive letters instead of bus
addresses...)

Ilya Zakharevich

Dec 14, 2010, 8:53:45 PM12/14/10
On 2010-12-15, Ilya Zakharevich <nospam...@ilyaz.org> wrote:
> AFAIK, a correctly created DVD can be read in 3 different ways: by
^^^
I meant DVD-Video

> direct sector access (IFO is at known offset, and specifies at which
> offsets the rest of the data is), by ISO-NUMBERS filesystem
> (recognized by cdfs.ifs), and by UDF (version?) filesystem
> (recognzided by udf.ifs).

Sorry,
Ilya

Mentore

Dec 15, 2010, 3:39:44 AM12/15/10
On 15 Dic, 02:53, Ilya Zakharevich <nospam-ab...@ilyaz.org> wrote:
> On 2010-12-15, Ilya Zakharevich <nospam-ab...@ilyaz.org> wrote:> AFAIK, a correctly created DVD can be read in 3 different ways: by

No problems. By the way, thanks for your answers, I will take a look
in the next few days :-)

Mentore