W4.5 Desktop icon position

john...@nospam.com.au

Nov 27, 2019, 12:21:46 AM11/27/19
My Desktop icons were once where I wanted them (in columns according to my
classification), but an unexplained catastrophe changed all that.

Current desktop settings are Sort = Name, and Arrange = Standard. This is how
they appear after each reboot.

However, this conflicts with the setting View = As placed.

There seems to be no option to not sort or arrange.

I did not place them in the Name + Standard position, and if I drag them away
from boot up position, they fail to stick where I place them, so I cannot Lock
them in place.

What did I do wrong?
How can I correct it?

Andreas Schnellbacher

Nov 27, 2019, 6:28:12 PM11/27/19
On 27.11.19 06:06, john...@nospam.com.au wrote:

> I did not place them in the Name + Standard position, and if I drag them away
> from boot up position, they fail to stick where I place them, so I cannot Lock
> them in place.

Have you 'Properties -> Sort -> Always maintain sort order' activated for
your desktop?

--
Andreas Schnellbacher

john...@nospam.com.au

Nov 29, 2019, 2:37:43 PM11/29/19
Yes; deactivating it changes the icon arrangement to another unhelpful one, but
allows me to relocate icons. I guess it is IBM speak for "No sort".

Whilst I can move the icons to where I want them, they revert to an unhelpful
arrangement upon reboot.

The View tab offers some arrangements which I can customise.
None of them, including "As placed", survive reboot.

Right click> "Lock in place" does not.

Dave Yeo

Nov 30, 2019, 1:30:36 AM11/30/19
Have you "Save Desktop properties" checked under the Desktop tab? Have
you cleaned your ini files lately? Here with your settings, icons stay
where they should, at least until I upgrade the OS, which does seem to
cause problems.
Dave

Andreas Schnellbacher

Nov 30, 2019, 2:52:11 PM11/30/19
On 30.11.19 07:30, Dave Yeo wrote:

> On 11/29/19 11:34 AM, john...@nospam.com.au wrote:

>> Whilst I can move the icons to where I want them, they revert to an unhelpful
>> arrangement upon reboot.

> Have you "Save Desktop properties" checked under the Desktop tab?

That was also my guess.

--
Andreas Schnellbacher

john...@nospam.com.au

Dec 4, 2019, 12:57:10 AM12/4/19
In <qrt2ab$pv7$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Dave Yeo <dave....@gmail.com> writes:
>On 11/29/19 11:34 AM, john...@nospam.com.au wrote:

>>> Have you 'Properties -> Sort -> Always maintain sort order' activated for
>>> your desktop?
>>>
>> Yes; deactivating it changes the icon arrangement to another unhelpful one, but
>> allows me to relocate icons. I guess it is IBM speak for "No sort".
>>
>> Whilst I can move the icons to where I want them, they revert to an unhelpful
>> arrangement upon reboot.
>>
>> The View tab offers some arrangements which I can customise.
>> None of them, including "As placed", survive reboot.
>>
>> Right click> "Lock in place" does not.
>>

>Have you "Save Desktop properties" checked under the Desktop tab? YES

Have you cleaned your ini files lately? YES

Here with your settings, icons stay where they should. YES

I guess I will just have to put up with what I have got.

wbstc...@gmail.com

Dec 18, 2019, 10:54:30 AM12/18/19
My guess is that "snap to grid" is activated, but I'm unsure how that is described for WsEB (Warp 4.5).