SIO2k

Robert Wolfe

Oct 17, 2017, 2:08:09 PM10/17/17
Hi all!

I was wondering if anyone had a working fully registered copy of SIO2k by
any chance? I ask because I don't seem to recall Ray Gwinn ever
releaseing a registration process for SIO2k.

fritzchwolka

Oct 17, 2017, 5:43:14 PM10/17/17
I have a registered SIO 1.60d and used it for a 8com card. The SIO2K I used later was a non registered version but I only needed it for 2 com ports.

I see the time stamp of the files are from 1997 but believe I got them earlier

In germany

Bit World Computing
- SIO Registration -
Sedanstrasse 27
D-97082 Wuerzburg

http://www.bwc.de

Robert Wolfe

Oct 17, 2017, 9:08:09 PM10/17/17
to fritzchwolka

On Tue, 17 Oct 2017, fritzchwolka wrote:

> I have a registered SIO 1.60d and used it for a 8com card. The SIO2K I used later was a non registered version but I only needed it for 2 com ports.
>
> I see the time stamp of the files are from 1997 but believe I got them earlier
>
> In germany
>
> Bit World Computing
> - SIO Registration -
> Sedanstrasse 27
> D-97082 Wuerzburg

So do you by any chance still happen to process registrations? I know Ray
Gwinn is on Facebook (and he is even a member of the OS/2 Warp Users group
that I admin there), but he doesn't seem to answer messages that much.

fritzchwolka

Oct 18, 2017, 6:55:03 AM10/18/17
I didn't tried to register the SIO2k in the past. At the moment I even have ARCAOS and hope SIO2K will be included sometimes.

Robert Wolfe

Oct 18, 2017, 8:17:45 AM10/18/17
-> I didn't tried to register the SIO2k in the past. At the moment I even have

Yeah, I agree. But, it will actually take some discussion between Ray
Gwinn and the ArcaOS people, I believe, to actually get the inclusion
of the SIO drivers in ArcaOS done.

... Don't be sexist. Broads hate that.
--- Wildcat! v7.0.454.5 (May 15 2016), Editor Mod v2.0

Steven Levine

Oct 18, 2017, 10:45:05 AM10/18/17
On Wed, 18 Oct 2017 12:15:05 UTC, robert...@winserver.org (Robert
Wolfe) wrote:

Hi Robert,

> Yeah, I agree. But, it will actually take some discussion between Ray
> Gwinn and the ArcaOS people, I believe, to actually get the inclusion
> of the SIO drivers in ArcaOS done.

Actually, no, that's not what it will take. What it will take is for
the community to convince Ray to offer the code to Arca Noae.

Back in the Mensys days, Ray was supposed to open source the code
and, if this had happened, I would probably have ended up as one of
the maintainers. For one reason or another, Ray decided not to follow
though and finish this process.

If the community would like SIO2K to be available, they need to find a
way to communicate with Ray and help him understand how much the
community would appreciate an open source SIO2K.

Steven

Steven Levine <ste...@earthlink.bogus.net>
DIY/Warp/BlueLion etc. www.scoug.com www.arcanoae.com www.warpcave.com

fritzchwolka

Oct 18, 2017, 1:11:59 PM10/18/17
Am 18.10.2017 um 16:45 schrieb Steven Levine:
> On Wed, 18 Oct 2017 12:15:05 UTC, robert...@winserver.org (Robert
> Wolfe) wrote:
>
> Hi Robert,
>
>> Yeah, I agree. But, it will actually take some discussion between Ray
>> Gwinn and the ArcaOS people, I believe, to actually get the inclusion
>> of the SIO drivers in ArcaOS done.
>
> Actually, no, that's not what it will take. What it will take is for
> the community to convince Ray to offer the code to Arca Noae.
>
> Back in the Mensys days, Ray was supposed to open source the code
> and, if this had happened, I would probably have ended up as one of
> the maintainers. For one reason or another, Ray decided not to follow
> though and finish this process.
>
> If the community would like SIO2K to be available, they need to find a
> way to communicate with Ray and help him understand how much the
> community would appreciate an open source SIO2K.
>
> Steven

Hi, the last known SIO2K I knew from Rays side from the past was ..

"The CURRENT release of SIO2K is version 2.03, released June 6, 2002."
I don't know if there was any newer version.

So I remember with ECS 1.1 there was a SIO2K light version added I used that time.
Now looking for SIO2K onto my virtual ECS1.2MR I didn't find it ? Just for that I logged into http://www.ecomstation.com/ecsdb/software_cats.php for looking if I've the right iso.

@Steven > If the community would like SIO2K to be available..

I hope too that the community find a way to communicate with ray.

dwg...@swbell.net

Mar 17, 2019, 12:32:26 PM3/17/19
At os2world, this was posted a few month back in 2018.

https://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php?topic=1820.0

Martin T

Aug 14, 2022, 3:12:52 PM8/14/22
Some recent updates in the OS2world-thread above, but no luck with sources from Ray yet.