OS/2 Installation Problems

David Feustel

Jan 24, 1992, 3:23:02 PM1/24/92
I just got my OS/2 v2.0 beta copy (6.177). I'm now trying to install it
and I'm having problems with the process.

The first time I tried to begin installation FDISK would not complete
successfully until I removed my Adaptec 1542 SCSI controller from the
system. Then disk 4 had "sector not found" problems which derailed the
installation. I was able to copy disk 4 to my hard disk when I went
back to dos.

Today I tried installation again. This time no problem was reported by
fdisk even though the Adaptec controller was installed. However, I got
another error saying that an os2->dosword dll could not be copied.

These problems make me more convinced than ever that the best way to
distribute OS/2 v2.0 is on a CDROM which includes a completely setup
file system that can be XCOPY'd from the cdrom onto the boot device.

I also think that complete technical reference documentation should be
included. I spent $200 for OS/2 v1.0 Technical Reference and I don't
think I should have to pay twice for that documentation.
--
David Feustel N9MYI, 1930 Curdes Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46805. (219)482-9631
feu...@netcom.com

David Feustel

Jan 24, 1992, 6:58:04 PM1/24/92

I've now tried installing the 6.1677 version of OS/2 v2.0 on a second
machine, a 386sx on which I was successfully running MS version of
OS/2 v2.0. The keyboard locks up at the first screen after the first
os/2 disk (1 of 13) is loaded. The lockup can only be cleared by
turning off the machine. Hardware reset is not complete enough.

Gess Shankar

Jan 25, 1992, 5:40:00 PM1/25/92
feu...@netcom.COM (David Feustel) writes:

[stuff deleted]

> These problems make me more convinced than ever that the best way to
> distribute OS/2 v2.0 is on a CDROM which includes a completely setup
> file system that can be XCOPY'd from the cdrom onto the boot device.
>
> I also think that complete technical reference documentation should be
> included. I spent $200 for OS/2 v1.0 Technical Reference and I don't
> think I should have to pay twice for that documentation.

Amen to both these counts. Distribution of a whole lot of things can
be made very cost effective from the publishers' point of view and
convenience from the users' point of view.

However, unless cdrom drives fall dramatically in price say to $200 range,
it is going to be difficult to make it the only medium. But IBM can
certainly make it an option. Microsoft gave that option starting with
the C Compiler and I find it a convenient method.

Solaris e.g. is distributed on CD-Rom. IBM can perhaps offer a bundle as
well an external drive with parallel port-scsi conversion, which can
be plugged into any pc for loading purposes.

Re: Documentation. Again - a la Microsoft Programmers' Library CD-Rom
[Sorry to bring up MicroSoft so many times in this NewsGroup ;-)]. Tech
Ref, CUA docs, API and related docs in hypertext format and a print
utility that can generate printed docs of segments of interest. Heck,
by the time you have done paying for the Prelim documentation library
and the final edition etc., you could have paid for a couple of CD-Rom
drives......

GeSS
--
Gess Shankar |<><>|Internet: ge...@knex.Gwinnett.COM |<><>|
Knowledge Exchange|<><>|{rutgers,ogicse,gatech}!emory!gwinnett!knex!gess|<><>|

Timothy F. Sipples

Jan 26, 1992, 11:53:04 PM1/26/92
In article <DHN5eB...@knex.Gwinnett.COM> ge...@knex.Gwinnett.COM (Gess Shankar) writes:
>> These problems make me more convinced than ever that the best way to
>> distribute OS/2 v2.0 is on a CDROM which includes a completely setup
>> file system that can be XCOPY'd from the cdrom onto the boot device.
>Amen to both these counts. Distribution of a whole lot of things can
>be made very cost effective from the publishers' point of view and
>convenience from the users' point of view.

IBM's new Ultimedia PS/2 ships with OS/2 2.0 on CD-ROM, I believe (cf.
PC Magazine). Perhaps this method of distribution will be available
for any machine as an option.
--
Timothy F. Sipples Keeper of the OS/2 Frequently Asked Questions
si...@ellis.uchicago.edu List, available via anonymous ftp from

Frank Fuchs

Jan 31, 1992, 11:17:05 AM1/31/92
In article <DHN5eB...@knex.Gwinnett.COM> ge...@knex.Gwinnett.COM (Gess Shankar) writes:

For your info:
as a member of the IBM European DAP we received the latest OS/2 2.0
beta on CD ROM. I hope this will continue till GA.
EXCELLENT!

-- Frank
--
Frank Fuchs (Foxware Systemhaus GmbH), fea...@fealon.stgt.sub.org
-- Hi! I am a .signature virus. Copy me into your .signature to join in! --