SoundBlaster problems

Rupa Schomaker

Mar 15, 1993, 11:39:00 PM3/15/93
I just got a nifty SoundBlaster running over here (ok, so I took a while --
tough!). I changed the IRQ to 5 from the default of 7 (don't want to play music
to the printer) and everything seemed hunky dory.

I then install the MMPM/2 from the OS/2 2.1 beta (I'm also running OS/2 2.1 --
dec 92 build) and the midi/wav player works just fine as well.

Oops, no .MOD player in there. Hmm. I think. I check out ftp-os2.nmsu.edu and
get tracker. The docs say that it doesn't work with MMPM/2 -- sure enough, it
doesn't.

Not forgetting that OS/2 has the best dos box in the world, I go to wuarchive
and pick up modplay and tracker (or something like that). Neither will run
under OS/2 over here.

modplay scans for the soundblaster and finds the base address OK, but then OS/2
traps the app saying it is trying to access LPT1 (I assume OS/2 traps it 'cause
modplay is screwing around with IRQ7 which is LPT1). Jeez, wasn't there a
REASON for setting the soundblaster variables in the autoexec.bat?

All is not lost, I say to myself. I'll just try tracker. Woops, it loads and
immediately aborts. no good either.

So, how do I get a .MOD player and still have MMPM/2 running?!?

-=(Rupa)=- [Entered on <15 Mar 93> at <22:32> in Houston Texas]

* Origin: No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway. (1:106/1024)

Scott Drumm

Mar 16, 1993, 12:37:50 PM3/16/93
>modplay scans for the soundblaster and finds the base address OK, but then OS/2
>traps the app saying it is trying to access LPT1 (I assume OS/2 traps it 'cause
>modplay is screwing around with IRQ7 which is LPT1). Jeez, wasn't there a

You are correct...The app was scanning the standard IRQ's that are available
for the SoundBlaster and OS/2 stepped on it. However, if you open the Settings
Box on your printer, select the Output tab, and right-click on LPT1, you will
be able to set your printer port to SHARED. This will prevent OS/2 from
stomping on your ModPlayer.

/-------------------\/----------------------------------------------------\
| --The DarkElf-- | If Architects built buildings the way programmers |
| sdr...@cs.umr.edu | wrote programs, the first woodpecker that came along|
| S103317@UMRVMA | would destroy civilization. |
\___________________/\____________________________________________________/

Steven A. Luzynski

Mar 16, 1993, 3:31:47 PM3/16/93

In a previous article, ru...@f-454.fidonet.org (Rupa Schomaker) says:

[minor edit]

>Not forgetting that OS/2 has the best dos box in the world, I go to wuarchive
>and pick up modplay and tracker (or something like that). Neither will run
>under OS/2 over here.
>
>modplay scans for the soundblaster and finds the base address OK, but then OS/2
>traps the app saying it is trying to access LPT1 (I assume OS/2 traps it 'cause
>modplay is screwing around with IRQ7 which is LPT1). Jeez, wasn't there a
>REASON for setting the soundblaster variables in the autoexec.bat?
>
>All is not lost, I say to myself. I'll just try tracker. Woops, it loads and
>immediately aborts. no good either.
>
>So, how do I get a .MOD player and still have MMPM/2 running?!?

Look for the latest version of WOWII. It's a DOS based .MOD player that
actually uses DMA (the way you're _supposed_ to do it) to access the
soundblaster. It works great in a dos box. The graphics get screwed up if
you try to swap away from it, but the music keeps going.

The author actually TESTED it on OS/2 before he released it and has a
section in the dox on how to make it work. I'd suggest sending him a few
bucks to thank him. :)

--
steve luzynski @ case western reserve university in cleveland, oh
yes, i'm avoiding homework too.

Ralf Grohmann

Mar 17, 1993, 8:06:04 AM3/17/93
In article <1o5dfj...@usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu>, sa...@po.CWRU.Edu (Steven A. Luzynski) writes:

|> In a previous article, ru...@f-454.fidonet.org (Rupa Schomaker) says:
|>
|> [minor edit]
|> >
|> >So, how do I get a .MOD player and still have MMPM/2 running?!?
|> >
|> Look for the latest version of WOWII. It's a DOS based .MOD player that
|> actually uses DMA (the way you're _supposed_ to do it) to access the
|> soundblaster. It works great in a dos box. The graphics get screwed up if
|> you try to swap away from it, but the music keeps going.

I use a mod-player named 'ss', which also works great in an os/2 dosbox.
It's available from my 'home'-ftp server microsrv2.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de
(in germany), in /msdos/music/mod/ss.zip. It may be available elsewhere, but
I don't know of any other site.

I prefer this to wow, because wow had these problems with getting stuck after
some seconds of playing at random intervals, and I personally don't like
having this big startup-graphics-file of wow on my hard-disk
(which adds nothing to the sound :-)

Ralf

--
Ralf Grohmann | WindowError005:
Universit"atsbibliothek Karlsruhe, Germany | Multitasking attempted -