Need to route 2 segments through one NIC card

1 view

Clayton Magnet

Feb 12, 2001, 9:46:45 PM2/12/01
Just wanted to ask you a quick question. I want to make a NetWare box into a
router. I need to route the machine that has 2 nics( at the momment)in it to
1 nic. Cause one card/segment is 100bt and the other old 10bt. I need to do
away with the 10bt and just have the one nic(100bt). I want to plug the
Ethernet cable from the 10bt card into a switch and then everything will be
on the 100bt nic in the server( so forth dropping everything down to one nic
to route the segments). I need the card to be able to route both traffic out
the one card.

Any ideas? I tried to look up information on inetcfg and autexec.ncf but no
luck. It can do it but I just cant find the right documentation on it

Any replys would be great

Jarid
MCSE, MCP+I, CNA, A+

John

Feb 13, 2001, 1:56:14 AM2/13/01
I'm sorry, but I don't understand the question. You have two server
machines that both run Netware, one that has two NICs and one
that has only a 100BT NIC. You want to be able to USE the 100BT
only server from both networks? Is that what you want? If so, just
setup the two-NIC server and it will automatically route the IPX
traffic destined for the one-NIC to it. No problems, since IPX
routing is automatic. If you also want to route IP traffic, this is a
little harder since the forward=yes must be specified on your
routing server. But it doesn't sound like what you want.

!
!Any ideas? I tried to look up information on inetcfg and autexec.ncf
but no
!luck. It can do it but I just cant find the right documentation on it
!
!Any replys would be great
!
!Jarid
!MCSE, MCP+I, CNA, A+
Fix my email address by removing "no" words and the "com.ercial"
. Don't kill Clinton or spy encrypted h-bombs or trust the NSA
or weed the Columbian plot for bricks of dollars.

St1

Feb 21, 2001, 12:53:39 PM2/21/01
Clayton,

NetWare requires you to have 2 network cards if you want to use the server
as a router. If IPX is your only routing protocol, simply install an
additional 10/100 card and segment your network. Give each segment a
different Network IPX address and segment the hubs and you have a router.

There is no way that I know of to use a single network card configured as a
router and even if you could, all traffice would be broadcast on both
segments anyway eliminating any performance gains you could have realized
with 2 NICs.

Roger Stockton
Senior Network Engineer
Innovative Networks Inc.