Mylex AcceleRAID 170: Is it possible to install it on Netware 4.11???

Raul Trujillo

May 7, 2004, 2:25:09 PM5/7/04
Hi all,

I'm trying to find the best (or fastest and reliable) RAID card that
Netware 4.11 (with an old service pack on the CD) supports. I've ran
into this Mylex's AcceleRAID 170 which seems that is supported by
Netware 4.11. However, my Netware CD is old and because I'm doing a
fresh installation, I won't have the service packs (SP9) available until
after I finish installing the OS. And, in order to install the OS, I
need it to have it recognize the RAID before I'm done doing the
installation. I've had some cards where I can't keep on going during
the installation because I had some older service pack on the
Installation CD and couldn't install the drivers.

Would anyone know or if this card would work? Or is there another that
is recommended out there? I've tried e-mailing LSILogic and asking them
if thier MegaRAID Express 500 or maybe the 300 (legacy) would work, but
with a very cold shoulder they've said only 5.x and up.

Thanks all,

Raul Trujillo
rtru...@n0spam.metalsurfaces.com
562.927.1331 x.229

James A. Nauer

May 7, 2004, 11:43:33 PM5/7/04
In article <9wQmc.48457$sK3....@nwrddc03.gnilink.net>,
Raul Trujillo <rtru...@nospam.metalsurfaces.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to find the best (or fastest and reliable) RAID card that
> Netware 4.11 (with an old service pack on the CD) supports. I've ran
> into this Mylex's AcceleRAID 170 which seems that is supported by
> Netware 4.11. However, my Netware CD is old and because I'm doing a
> fresh installation, I won't have the service packs (SP9) available until
> after I finish installing the OS. And, in order to install the OS, I
> need it to have it recognize the RAID before I'm done doing the
> installation. I've had some cards where I can't keep on going during
> the installation because I had some older service pack on the
> Installation CD and couldn't install the drivers.

Don't install directly onto the RAID--put an IDE or SCSI disk in the
machine (doesn't even have to be *in* the machine, just close enough for
the cable to reach), and install onto that. Then install SP9 and the
Mylex driver; now that you can "see" the RAID, copy the c: drive to a
DOS partition, mirror the SYS: volume to the RAID, remove the IDE/SCSI
disk and boot from the RAID. delete the missing member of the "broken"
SYS: mirror and you're done.
--
James A. Nauer | "I shall not yield one whit of maturity,
Manager, Server Engineering | not grace, not respectability, to the