DOS 7 - Win98 Splash Image Removal?

1HookedSpaceCadet

Jul 6, 2004, 10:12:41 AM7/6/04
I am setting up a system using DOS from the Win98SE boot disk. I want to
remove the Win98 graphic that comes up on boot but cannot figure out how. I
found multiple links that talk about editing the msdos.sys file and setting
bootgui=0 but my msdos.sys has one line that reads,

;FORMAT

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance. James

Joe Batch

Jul 6, 2004, 12:14:34 PM7/6/04

> I am setting up a system using DOS from the Win98SE boot disk. I want to
> remove the Win98 graphic that comes up on boot but cannot figure out how. I
> found multiple links that talk about editing the msdos.sys file and setting
> bootgui=0 but my msdos.sys has one line that reads,
>
> ;FORMAT

Rename LOGOS.SYS and LOGOW.SYS (in the windows directory).
And place "LOGO=0" in msdos.sys.

See also:
http://www.mdgx.com/msdos.htm#TAB
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=118579
http://www.mdgx.com/newtip16.htm#WBINI

1HookedSpaceCadet

Jul 6, 2004, 11:13:05 AM7/6/04
I have no windows directory as I am only using DOS from the boot disk.
Should I still put logo=0 in msdos.sys and should I do it before or after
;format?

Thanks, James

"Joe Batch" <joe_d...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Hans

Jul 6, 2004, 11:30:52 AM7/6/04

This is an 'common' Windows 98se MSDOS.SYS:

[Paths]
WinDir=C:\WINDOWS
WinBootDir=C:\WINDOWS
HostWinBootDrv=C

[Options]
BootMulti=1
BootGUI=1
DoubleBuffer=0
AutoScan=1
WinVer=4.10.2222

;The following lines are required for compatibility with other
programs.
;Do not remove them (MSDOS.SYS needs to be >1024 bytes).
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxa
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxb
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxc
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxd
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxe
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxf
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxg
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxh
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxi
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxj
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxk
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxl
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxm
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxn
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxp
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxq
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxr
;xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxs

Bruce Morgen

Jul 6, 2004, 11:45:05 AM7/6/04
"1HookedSpaceCadet" <rotoquad@---nospam---earthlink.net> wrote:

There's no splash image when
booting from a Win98 SE boot
floppy -- afaik there's no
BMP file on the floppy to
display, so the "bootgui"
variable in MSDOS.SYS is
irrelevant. If you want an
installed Win98 SE system to
boot into DOS without any
splash screen, all that can
be configured with TWEAKUI,
which will handle the
MSDOS.SYS changes for you.

The trick to hand-editing
MSDOS.SYS is to remove the
read-only, hidden, and
system attributes, make
the changes taking care
that the resulting file is
bigger than 1K (1024 bytes),
and then to reinstate those
attributes. Easy. BTW, the
";format" line in the boot
floppy's MSDOS.SYS is a non-
issue; since it starts with
a semicolon it's ignored
anyway.

Peter Schepers

Jul 6, 2004, 12:38:15 PM7/6/04
>>I am setting up a system using DOS from the Win98SE boot disk. I want to
>>remove the Win98 graphic that comes up on boot but cannot figure out how. I
>>found multiple links that talk about editing the msdos.sys file and setting
>>bootgui=0 but my msdos.sys has one line that reads,

While the boot floppy might not have the LOGO.SYS file on it, when you SYS
the hard disk it gets recreated. The simplest way I have found to remove
the boot logo is:

1. Delete any existing LOGO.SYS file on C. It might have some attributes
set like SYSTEM, HIDDEN or READONLY so these have to go first.

2. On the C drive, type COPY CON LOGO.SYS

3. Type CTRL-Z & ENTER

This creates a 0-byte LOGO.SYS file which will not load any graphic on
boot.

Peter S.

̇ęń.com Ray M. Ransom

Jul 6, 2004, 12:43:35 PM7/6/04
"1HookedSpaceCadet" wrote:

> ...I want to remove the Win98 graphic that comes up on boot...

For a floppy, overwrite your MSDOS.SYS file with the following:

[Options]
Logo=0
BootGUI=0

For a hard drive, insert "Logo=0" right under [Options] and change
"BootGUI=1" to "BootGUI=0".

Go here

http://www.micosyen.com/build.php

for instructions on building a DOS 7/Windoze 98 dual-boot machine. The
purpose of this page is for building an MP3 jukebox that boots to DOS 7 by
default, but can be booted to Windoze for network file transfer. The general
ideas can be adjusted to suit any dual-boot environment.

Mike Walsh

Jul 6, 2004, 1:47:08 PM7/6/04

[Options]
Logo=0

--

When replying by Email include NewSGrouP (case sensitive) in Subject

Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

Bruce Morgen

Jul 6, 2004, 2:12:34 PM7/6/04
"Ray M. Ransom" <ray@mîcôs˙ęń.com> wrote:

>"1HookedSpaceCadet" wrote:
>
>> ...I want to remove the Win98 graphic that comes up on boot...
>
>For a floppy, overwrite your MSDOS.SYS file with the following:
>
>[Options]
>Logo=0
>BootGUI=0

Make sure the resulting
file is over 1024 bytes
long or this may fail.
All those lines of
";xxxxxxxxxx..." are
there for a reason!

>For a hard drive, insert "Logo=0" right under [Options] and change
>"BootGUI=1" to "BootGUI=0".
>
>Go here
>
>http://www.micosyen.com/build.php
>
>for instructions on building a DOS 7/Windoze 98 dual-boot machine. The
>purpose of this page is for building an MP3 jukebox that boots to DOS 7 by
>default, but can be booted to Windoze for network file transfer. The general
>ideas can be adjusted to suit any dual-boot environment.

arargh4...@now.at.arargh.com

Jul 6, 2004, 3:48:14 PM7/6/04
On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 10:12:41 -0400, "1HookedSpaceCadet"
<rotoquad@---nospam---earthlink.net> wrote:

There was a big long thread about this some time back. Whick I can't
find, at the moment.

From a My MSDOS.SYS:

[Paths]
WinDir=C:\Win
WinBootDir=C:\Win
HostWinBootDrv=C

[Options]
Logo=0 <--------------- this turns off logo
BootMenu=0
BootMulti=1
BootGUI=1
DoubleBuffer=1
AutoScan=2
WinVer=4.10.1998

<snip>
Create this file on your floppy as MSDOS.SYS:
[Paths]

[Options]
Logo=0
^Z

and that should get rid of the logo. Under 98, the logo doesn't show
up on a floppy boot, unless you force it.
--
Arargh407 at [drop the 'http://www.' from ->] http://www.arargh.com
BCET Basic Compiler Page: http://www.arargh.com/basic/index.html

To reply by email, remove the garbage from the reply address.

Charles Dye

Jul 6, 2004, 7:38:24 PM7/6/04
"1HookedSpaceCadet" <rotoquad@---nospam---earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<wryGc.2$nP...@tattler.gsu.edu>...

One way is to substitute an *empty* MSDOS.SYS file, one that contains
no data whatsoever. This will also save you one cluster of disk space,
which may actually be significant if you're packing a lot of utilities
onto your floppy.

deltree /y a:\msdos.sys
rem > a:\msdos.sys
attrib +s +h +r a:\msdos.sys

--
Charles Dye ras...@highfiber.com

tls...@concentric.net

Jul 6, 2004, 11:20:30 PM7/6/04
On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 10:12:41 -0400, "1HookedSpaceCadet"
<rotoquad@---nospam---earthlink.net> took a very strange rock and
inscribed these words:

>I am setting up a system using DOS from the Win98SE boot disk. I want to
>remove the Win98 graphic that comes up on boot but cannot figure out how. I
>found multiple links that talk about editing the msdos.sys file and setting
>bootgui=0 but my msdos.sys has one line that reads,
>
>;FORMAT

What are you trying to do, prevent Windows from displaying a splash
screen, or prevent Windows from loading automatically at bootup after
DOS? These are not the same things.

--
Therese Shellabarger / The Roving Reporter - Civis Mundi
tls...@concentric.net / http://tlshell.cnc.net/

1HookedSpaceCadet

Jul 6, 2004, 11:53:08 PM7/6/04
I am only using DOS. Windows is not installed on the machine at all. I
just want to remove/supress the win98 clouds logo that comes up on boot.

<tls...@concentric.net> wrote in message

1HookedSpaceCadet

Jul 6, 2004, 11:56:37 PM7/6/04
Not booting from floppy, I used these commands to "install" on my hd. I
boot from the hd.

> Step one: FORMAT C: /S /U

> Step two: MKDIR C:\DOS
COPY A:\*.* C:\DOS

"Bruce Morgen" <edi...@juno.com> wrote in message

1HookedSpaceCadet

Jul 7, 2004, 12:00:34 AM7/7/04
I checked both the c drive and my dos dir - no logo.sys

I tried

>attrib -h logo.sys

and

>attrib logo.sys

in each dir and got file not found...

"Peter Schepers" <sche...@ist.uwaterloo.ca> wrote in message

1HookedSpaceCadet

Jul 7, 2004, 12:00:55 AM7/7/04
No windows dir, no logo.sys

"Joe Batch" <joe_d...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

1HookedSpaceCadet

Jul 7, 2004, 12:05:51 AM7/7/04
> [Options]
> Logo=0

That was it, thanks! Now, how do I get it to announce "Starting Windows 98"
?

Bruce Morgen

Jul 7, 2004, 1:36:15 AM7/7/04
"1HookedSpaceCadet" <rotoquad@---nospam---earthlink.net> wrote:

Put the following line in
a text file called
"AUTOEXEC.BAT" in the
root directory of your
boot drive. If that file
already exists, add the
line to end of the
current file. You might
want to precede it with
the CLS (CLear Screen)
command on it's own line
so that only your text
shows:
_____

@echo Starting Windows 98

Mike Jones

Jul 7, 2004, 2:48:34 PM7/7/04
Bruce Morgen wrote:
> "1HookedSpaceCadet" <rotoquad@---nospam---earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> I am setting up a system using DOS from the Win98SE boot disk. I
>> want to remove the Win98 graphic that comes up on boot but cannot
>> figure out how. I found multiple links that talk about editing the
>> msdos.sys file and setting bootgui=0 but my msdos.sys has one line
>> that reads,
>>
>> ;FORMAT
>>
>> Can anyone help? Thanks in advance. James
>>
> There's no splash image when
> booting from a Win98 SE boot
> floppy -- afaik there's no
> BMP file on the floppy to
> display, so the "bootgui"
> variable in MSDOS.SYS is
> irrelevant.

Actually the logo is held in IO.SYS - that's why it's so bloated!
- the MSDOS.SYS [Options], logo=0 *is* relevant.

(if you want a different splash screen, you can add/replace logo.sys with a
carefully crafted bmp - see e.g.
http://weaver.freeservers.com/logos/logos.html)

NewGroups

Jul 7, 2004, 4:19:02 PM7/7/04
I agree, boot floppy shouldn't give you Win98 Splash screen.

Adam Fisher

www.techiwarehouse.com - Learn everything about IT and the web. Read the
weekly articles. Check out tutorials for graphics, certifications,
programming, and webmasters. Tons of IT tips and tricks.

"Mike Jones" <DMike...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Todd Vargo

Jul 7, 2004, 12:38:47 AM7/7/04

"1HookedSpaceCadet" <rotoquad@---nospam---earthlink.net> wrote in message

Install Windows 98?
But seriously, it should already be doing that when it boots.

--
Todd Vargo (remove hyphen to reply by email)

Mabden

Jul 7, 2004, 5:07:04 PM7/7/04
"Todd Vargo" <todd_...@nccw.net> wrote in message

> "1HookedSpaceCadet" <rotoquad@---nospam---earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > > [Options]
> > > Logo=0
> >

> > That was it, thanks! Now, how do I get it to announce "Starting Windows
> > 98"?

At the bottom of your AUTOEXEC.BAT:
echo "Starting Windows 98"

--
Mabden

1HookedSpaceCadet

Jul 7, 2004, 5:18:58 PM7/7/04
Oops, I meant STOP announcing "Starting Windows 98"?

I think I found it though.

"Mabden" <mabden@sbc_global.net> wrote in message

Adam Fisher

Adam Fisher

Peter Schepers

Jul 7, 2004, 9:38:52 PM7/7/04
In article <KEKGc.8$nP...@tattler.gsu.edu>,

1HookedSpaceCadet <rotoquad@---nospam---earthlink.net> wrote:
>I checked both the c drive and my dos dir - no logo.sys
>
>I tried
>
>>attrib -h logo.sys
>
>and
>
>>attrib logo.sys
>
>in each dir and got file not found...

Ah, but if you did step 2 and 3 (see below), it would produce an empty
LOGO.SYS file which tricks DOS when booting to display _nothing_. It
assumes that instead of displaying the built-in logo in IO.SYS, it must
use the one named LOGO.SYS. It's the simplest method to remove the logo
as it doesn't require messing around with MSDOS.SYS. You can even set the
attributes of your newly-created LOGO.SYS to be hidden.

>> 2. On the root of C drive, type COPY CON LOGO.SYS

>> 3. Type CTRL-Z & ENTER
>>
>> This creates a 0-byte LOGO.SYS file which will not load any graphic on
>> boot.

I should have said in step one "If any LOGO.SYS file exists, remove it",
because it doesn't have to exist for it to be displayed.

Peter S.

Todd Vargo

Jul 7, 2004, 9:43:36 PM7/7/04

"1HookedSpaceCadet" <rotoquad@---nospam---earthlink.net> wrote in message

> Oops, I meant STOP announcing "Starting Windows 98"?
>

> I think I found it though.

AFAIK, there is no switch to prevent it. If it really bothers you, then you
will need to modify IO.SYS manually, replacing those characters with spaces
or other text. Make sure to not change the file size though (very
important).

BTW, it makes it easier for others to read if your response is placed below
the quoted text of previous messages as I have done above.

1HookedSpaceCadet

Jul 8, 2004, 9:01:47 AM7/8/04
Make sure to not change the file size though (very
important).

I found that out....

=o/

"Todd Vargo" <todd_...@nccw.net> wrote in message

tls...@concentric.net

Jul 8, 2004, 11:42:21 PM7/8/04
On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 23:53:08 -0400, "1HookedSpaceCadet"

<rotoquad@---nospam---earthlink.net> took a very strange rock and
inscribed these words:

>I am only using DOS. Windows is not installed on the machine at all. I

>just want to remove/supress the win98 clouds logo that comes up on boot.

Well, it sounds like you've already been answered so follow the
instructions.

If you still have trouble, post to alt.msdos and I'll see it.

hawk

Jul 9, 2004, 10:44:44 AM7/9/04
Bullshit. I hate wading through the previous messages to get to the
current message. You have your preference, but it is not a universal
truth.

hawk

Kenny McCormack

Jul 9, 2004, 11:00:57 AM7/9/04
In article <10etbqs...@corp.supernews.com>, hawk <ha...@spamex.com> wrote:
>Bullshit. I hate wading through the previous messages to get to the
>current message. You have your preference, but it is not a universal
>truth.

Here's a nickel, kid. Buy yourself a real newsreader.

tls...@concentric.net

Jul 10, 2004, 12:00:09 AM7/10/04
On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 07:44:44 -0700, hawk <ha...@spamex.com> took a very

strange rock and inscribed these words:

>I hate wading through the previous messages to get to the
>current message.

So does everyone else, but how else to keep things in order *and*
teach the masses to edit properly?

--
I have seen the life on this planet and that's why I'm looking elsewhere.
- Fox Mulder, X-Files

Todd Vargo

Jul 11, 2004, 10:27:55 AM7/11/04

"hawk" <ha...@spamex.com> wrote in message