corrupted file

1 view

John Hanley

Jul 30, 2004, 4:06:04 PM7/30/04
Ok, I'm in big trouble. I went to save my .c file and when I pressed F2 in
Rhide, it told me it couldn't find it (even though the code was right on the
screen). I exited out, reboot my computer, and now my .c file is gone.

I assume it's somehow corrupted. I don't understand what happened to it.

Does anybody know of a way to recover it, or find out if it is still there?
I'm using PC DOS 6.3.

Thanks a bunch!

John

Randolf Richardson

Aug 15, 2004, 8:23:22 PM8/15/04
""John Hanley" <jdha...@telusplanet.net>" wrote in comp.os.msdos:

Before you do anything, get an exact image of the disk you were using,
then use that for all your recovery activities, then...

You might try some obvious things first such as trying to "un-erase"
the file -- many vendors provide tools for this, and I've found Norton
Utilities v4.5 to be the best ones; they include QU (Quick Unerase) and QD
(Quick Directory-unerase), that is if memory serves me right (it's been a
long time since I've used these tools because I keep all my important files
on NetWare servers now that have a special tool for "Salvaging" files that
works much better).