WFW3.11 Dos, and Internet access over home network.

Dana Eckel

Sep 12, 2004, 12:22:58 PM9/12/04
Hey classic OS users.
A friend recently gave me an old Pentium 120 with 20MB of ram, and
200MB HD. It also has an Intel EtherExpress PRO/10+ ISA LAN adapter.
So I decided I would take this system and install Dr. Dos 7.03, and
WFW 3.11. However I don't have any clue how to access my home network
with this type of setup. My home network has a D-Link router that
plugs into my DSL modem and faithfully serves Windows XP, WIN ME, and
OS X. Why do I want to use 3.11? Well, remind me of the old days when
I used it to dial up onto the net, and play games that XP won't let
me. Anyways, what do I need to do to get the job done?
Is DR Dos a good dos? Or should I dig up MS-6.22 or maybe PC-Dos 2000?
Which browser should I hunt down and install? IE 5 or Netscape?
Anything else I should know?

Thanks for your help!

Larry

Sep 12, 2004, 12:51:13 PM9/12/04

"Dana Eckel" <big_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Lot's of questions/issues here, but I'll address a couple for you. You
mentioned IE5 and Netscape, both of which are not supported under Dos and
early Windows versions. Lots of those early browsers were text only and the
majority of web sites today have evolved WAY beyond that- I don't think
you'd enjoy the surfing experience.

We get lots of old computers and it's my personal policy not to 'dump a lot
of time' into them. My e-mail unit went down last year and I setup an AMD
K6-300 temporarily. NG's and e-mail took forever to D/L (even on DSL), so I
decided right then I would never go back to slow.

My two cents.

Larry

O.J. Newman

Sep 12, 2004, 1:42:47 PM9/12/04

> Lot's of questions/issues here, but I'll address a couple for you. You
> mentioned IE5 and Netscape, both of which are not supported under Dos and
> early Windows versions. Lots of those early browsers were text only and
the
> majority of web sites today have evolved WAY beyond that- I don't think
> you'd enjoy the surfing experience.

Hello!

Setting aside all the other issues, versions of IE (thru v5.01) and Netscape
(thru v4.08) that run under Win 3.1x can be found at:

http://win3x.tucows.com/softweb_default.html .

But keep in mind that some sites recommend Netscape versions above v4.08.

And I don't know how complete an implementation of IE 5.01 the Win 3.1x
edition is.

Cheers,
O.J.

pml

Sep 12, 2004, 2:39:54 PM9/12/04
"Dana Eckel" <big_...@yahoo.com> skrev i meddelandet
> [...]

To get networking to work, you will need to install the network drivers
(suggestion:
http://support.intel.com/support/etherexpress/pro10/index.htm )
then you will need to install tcp/ip for wfwg, which can be downloaded from
this page:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;99891
and update to networking:
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/Softlib/MSLFILES/WFWFILES.EXE

Al Dykes

Sep 12, 2004, 2:57:13 PM9/12/04
In article <exiUpfPm...@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>,

The NIC card will either have jumpers on it for IRQ/IO address
assignment or need a config utility that generally comes on a bootable
DOS floppy. This is necessary to select IO and IRQ assignments of the
oter devices in the system and can get hairy, or impossible if you've
also got a sound card and an old dedicated CDROM controller.

If you know the machine worked with the NIC then it's a safe bet that
the card is configured correctly, but you need to know what it's set
to so you can edit the config files when you install WFWG. The
DOS utility can report them. If the disk still has the old OS on
it you night look for the config files and print them out.

It's been a long time and I never really know DOS networking well.

--
Al Dykes
-----------

John Dulak

Sep 13, 2004, 8:53:43 AM9/13/04

Dana:

The first thing to do is get access to the local network. Since the rest
of your network most likely uses the TCP/IP protocol you will have to
install it. TCP/IP did not ship with WFW but is available from MS.

You can download the TCP/IP protocol add on for WFWG here:

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/softlib/mslfiles/tcp32b.exe

Also need "Win32s"

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/softlib/mslfiles/pw1118.exe <= Install FIRST

tcp32b.exe is an extracting archive file. Put it in a folder of it's
own and run it to unpack it.

The NIC will almost certainly work with the "NEC2000" driver that comes
with WFW 3.11. Open the NETWORK applet and choose "Add Adapter". Choose
NE2000 or let windows try to identify the NIC. (Always best to have the
SPECIFIC drivers for the NIC of course.) Since this is an ISA card you
will need to know what IRQ it is using as well as the base memory
address used fot I/O. For ISA cards these are set via jumpers or a DOS
setup utility.

Then click "Add Protocol" select "Microsoft Protocol" and point to the
folder where you unpacked tcp32b.exe. This should get you local LAN
access.

If your router is offering DHCP services there is a check box to make
WFW use it in the TCP/IP configuration screens.

HTH & GL
--
\\\\\//
"Don't take life so seriously... | |

tls...@concentric.net

Sep 14, 2004, 1:10:19 AM9/14/04
On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 09:51:13 -0700, "Larry"
<lar...@NOSPAMisomedia.com> took a very strange rock and inscribed
these words:

>You
>mentioned IE5 and Netscape, both of which are not supported under Dos and
>early Windows versions. Lots of those early browsers were text only and the
>majority of web sites today have evolved WAY beyond that- I don't think
>you'd enjoy the surfing experience.

There was a version of IE5 for Win3.x, it's very hard to find though.
I don't know what version of Netscape you were thinking of, but there
are a number of versions available up to around 3.x stage for Windows
3.x, and none of them were "text only" -- you're probably thinking of
Lynx, a fine browser for what it does. It can be programmed to call up
auxiliary programs to show images, etc., the trick is to find the
right auxiliary programs.

For playing around, I don't see why one can't browse with Windows 3.x,
although some people still have no other OS, whether by choice or by
necessity.

--
Therese Shellabarger / The Roving Reporter - Civis Mundi
tls...@concentric.net / http://tlshell.cnc.net/

Jeffrey Hayes

Sep 14, 2004, 2:46:56 PM9/14/04
On 14 Sep 2004 01:10:19 EDT, tls...@concentric.net wrote:

>On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 09:51:13 -0700, "Larry"
><lar...@NOSPAMisomedia.com> took a very strange rock and inscribed
>these words:
>
>>You
>>mentioned IE5 and Netscape, both of which are not supported under Dos and
>>early Windows versions. Lots of those early browsers were text only and the
>>majority of web sites today have evolved WAY beyond that- I don't think
>>you'd enjoy the surfing experience.
>
>There was a version of IE5 for Win3.x, it's very hard to find though.

I have IE 5.0 for Windows 3.x on my site:

http://tvdog.shacknet.nu/MSIE.html

I just have DSL so it will take a while to download (~50 min). There
is also a link there to where you can get Netscape Navigator 4.08, the
last version for Windows 3.1.

Opera browser was supposed to be the best one for Windows 3.1, and it
is still out there, but it isn't free and I don't know whether you can
register the shareware version any more.

Good luck.

Jeffrey Hayes
http://tvdog.shacknet.nu
"I'm a Deutschesuedwestafrikaner in love."

Dana Eckel

Sep 18, 2004, 8:47:31 PM9/18/04
Grrrr... The NIC is all messed up. Good thing I have a friend that has
a couple he can part with. Been so long since I worked with a pure
dos, seems kinda refreshing. But thanks for the info. I never knew
Microsoft released a TCP/IP for WFW, none the less still have it on
their site.