dd for DOS ?

laurent

Sep 10, 2004, 9:05:59 AM9/10/04
Hi there,

Anyone have got this to work ?

http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/rawwrite/dd.htm

Specially this example don't work :

<quote>

dd if=\\.\a: of=c:\temp\disk1.img bs=1440k

<quote>

The dd.exe cannot find the floppy drive with that notation \\.\a:
cannot find input file is the sens of the error msg

but if i try only a:, or a:\, i get "access refused" ...

How can i write a img from my floppy disk ?

btw the program works for files in the same directory.

thanks,

laurent

Keen Anthony

Sep 13, 2004, 5:32:12 AM9/13/04
On 10 Sep 2004 06:05:59 -0700, laurent...@libertysurf.fr
(laurent) wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>Anyone have got this to work ?
>
>http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/rawwrite/dd.htm
>
>Specially this example don't work :
>
><quote>
>
>dd if=\\.\a: of=c:\temp\disk1.img bs=1440k
>
><quote>

I have no floppy drive so I substituted my CDROM for a:...

Using a:, I got an access denied.

Using \\.\a: I got an error opening input file, process cannot access
the file because it is being used by another process.

Incidentally, this was on XP.

I tried using this app under DOS, but it requires Win32.

None of the examples worked for me. If you really want to use 'dd',
maybe you ought to try a version of 'dd' found in a Unix app
compilation package. The URL escapes me, but there is a free port of
several core Unix commands in a single package available for DOS and
Windows 32-bit consoles.

>The dd.exe cannot find the floppy drive with that notation \\.\a:
>cannot find input file is the sens of the error msg
>
>but if i try only a:, or a:\, i get "access refused" ...
>
>How can i write a img from my floppy disk ?

Off the top of my head, I'd recommend an disk image app like WinImage
or Floppy Image by Rundegren. Personally, I like WinImage a lot.

Good luck.