USB on pure DOS (6.22)

vjp...@at.biostrategist.dot.dot.com

Jun 22, 2020, 2:46:51 PM6/22/20
I have a set of USB DOS files. USBASPI.SYS seems the likeliest choice. I
also have stuff calling itself USTORAGE RAMFD DI100DD WINENCRYPT and motto
hairu.

Might someone give me a clue how to approach this? I added a USB card to a
1995 machine a few years back, plus I have triple boot on a 2007 machine
which includes a DOS partition in addition to Windows and Linux. I am trying
to install both (DOS USB) at the same time.

- = -
Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus
blog: panix.com/~vjp2/ruminatn.htm - = - web: panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm
facebook.com/vasjpan2 - linkedin.com/in/vasjpan02 - biostrategist.com

T. Ment

Jun 22, 2020, 4:19:24 PM6/22/20
On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 18:46:50 +0000 (UTC),
vjp...@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

> I have a set of USB DOS files. USBASPI.SYS seems the likeliest choice. I
> also have stuff calling itself USTORAGE RAMFD DI100DD WINENCRYPT and motto
> hairu.

> Might someone give me a clue how to approach this? I added a USB card to a
> 1995 machine a few years back, plus I have triple boot on a 2007 machine
> which includes a DOS partition in addition to Windows and Linux. I am trying
> to install both (DOS USB) at the same time.

On DOS I have a USB stick working like a hard drive, or a floppy drive,
depending on BIOS support.

Your goal is not clear. What do you want.

JJ

Jun 23, 2020, 12:20:41 AM6/23/20
On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 18:46:50 +0000 (UTC),
vjp...@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:
> I have a set of USB DOS files. USBASPI.SYS seems the likeliest choice. I
> also have stuff calling itself USTORAGE RAMFD DI100DD WINENCRYPT and motto
> hairu.
>
> Might someone give me a clue how to approach this? I added a USB card to a
> 1995 machine a few years back, plus I have triple boot on a 2007 machine
> which includes a DOS partition in addition to Windows and Linux. I am trying
> to install both (DOS USB) at the same time.

Use Google Translate to translate Motto Hairu documentation to English.

vjp...@at.biostrategist.dot.dot.com

Jun 25, 2020, 6:12:31 PM6/25/20
What drivers do I need on DOS for USB? just usbaspi.sys?

vjp...@at.biostrategist.dot.dot.com

Jun 29, 2020, 5:18:56 AM6/29/20
Ok, but has anyone done this?

http://www.pcxt-micro.com/dos-usb.html
Miracle-driver from Japan does the unthinkable
By Fernando Cassia
Friday 27 June 2003, 11:19
(Reproduced with kind permission of the editor of `The Inquirer' -
http://theinquirer.net/?article=10215 )

The driver switches you can use are: device=(path)\USBASPI.SYS [/e]
[/o] [/u] [/w] [/v] [/l[=n]] [/f] /r] [/slow] [/nocbc] [/norst]
[/noprt]
The driver scans all three USB controller specs by default, but you can
limit which controllers are enabled using these switches:
/e EHCI spec (USB 2.0)
/o OHCI spec (newer USB 1.x)
/u UHCI spec (older USB 1.x)
And so far I learned what these switches mean:
/w Wait, displays text message for attaching or swapping USB devices
/v Verbose, shows status messages - recommended
/l[=n] LUN, specifies highest LUN # to be attached to
device ID (default=0)
Example config.sys and autoexec.bat files on a DOS
Bootdisk with USB support for an USB CD- (ROM/R/RW) or Harddisk looks
like this:
[config.sys]
DOS=HIGH,UMB
lastdrive=Z
device=HIMEM.SYS
REM The following line loads the universal USB-controller driver
devicehigh=USBASPI.SYS /v /w /e
REM the following is an ASPI mass storage driver for USB-connected HDs
and Compactflash memory cards
devicehigh=DI1000DD.SYS
REM The following one loads CD-ROM driver
devicehigh=USBCD.SYS /d:USBCD001
[autoexec.bat]
@echo off
REM the following line adds a drive letter to the USB CD-(ROM/R/RW)
mounted
LH MSCDEX /d:USBCD001

Kerr-Mudd,John

Jun 29, 2020, 5:05:59 PM6/29/20
On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 09:18:55 GMT, vjp...@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com
wrote:
Yes. I used to have a DOS boot disk for booting, and then install from
CD; IIRC W98 tried a heap of CD driver; aha!

config.sys

[menu]
menuitem=SETUP_CD, Start Windows 98 Setup from CD-ROM.
menuitem=CD, Start computer with CD-ROM support.
menuitem=NOCD, Start computer without CD-ROM support.
menudefault=SETUP_CD,30
menucolor=7,0

[SETUP_CD]
device=himem.sys /testmem:off