Help, emm386.exe I=B000-B7FF ?

Huu Truc Nguyen

Jul 1, 1993, 2:11:23 AM7/1/93
Hi Dos users,

If I put the switch I=B000-B7FF for the emm386.exe prog, then i will gain
a bit of memory at the Upper memory (the address from B000 to B7FF was reserved for
Hercules or monochrome display, if using VGA display, then this memory chunk is
wasted since DOS not using it - I saw this explaination in a PC magazine). It works
ok when I am in DOS, BUT Windows refuse to load. Windows error said that it cannot
set up an upper memory block at segment B000. Should I set the line EMMMExclude
in the system.ini file to exlude that address ? I tried but no luck. Any hints?

I have another question about hardware. A friend of my owns a XT. His machine runs
fine under Dos 3.x, but not Dos 5. When he boot (from disk a:) using Dos5,
he can see the a: prompt, but he cannot type anything, the keyboard seems not responding.
But if he press the Cap lock, the cap-lock's ligh highlighted, also if Ctrl-C is entered
the prompt jump to the next line. Another weird thing that if he run a program called
directly from the autoexec.bat, the keyboard works fine, and when exit to the prompt,
nothing working. Too weird for me... Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks in advance

Fred Dickey

Jul 1, 1993, 10:01:41 AM7/1/93
Huu Truc Nguyen (g870...@wraith.cs.uow.edu.au) wrote:
: Hi Dos users,

:
: If I put the switch I=B000-B7FF for the emm386.exe prog, then i will gain
: a bit of memory at the Upper memory (the address from B000 to B7FF was reserved for
: Hercules or monochrome display, if using VGA display, then this memory chunk is
: wasted since DOS not using it - I saw this explaination in a PC magazine). It works
: ok when I am in DOS, BUT Windows refuse to load. Windows error said that it cannot
: set up an upper memory block at segment B000. Should I set the line EMMMExclude
: in the system.ini file to exlude that address ? I tried but no luck. Any hints?

There is a "readme" file included with DOS 6.0 that explains how to use
B000-B7FF with windows. There is a special "SYS" file you have to
load. Apparently, super VGA monitors use the monchrome region somehow.

--
Frederick J. Dickey Work: fr...@elvis.ds.boeing.com
Home: f...@eskimo.com

Jozsef Ferincz

Jul 1, 1993, 2:18:56 PM7/1/93
fredd@shuksan (Fred Dickey) writes:

> ??? <

Anyway, following works for me:

You need monoumb.386 and monoumb2.386 (I don't know what is the different),
you can get it from a most ftp sites, (Microsoft updates), but monoumb.386
(maybe also the other) comes with DOS 6.0. Put them in your windows\system
directory.

Put in the [386Enh] part of system.ini:

SystemROMBreakPoint=false
EMMEXCULDE=A000-EFFF
VirtualHDirq=false
DUALDISPLAY=NO
device=monoumb[2].386

If with the device=monoumb.386 will not work, try device=monoumb2.386. I
don't know why, but one of them will work.

Regards, Jozsef
--
Jozsef Ferincz INTERNET : fer...@chemie.fu-berlin.de
Freie Universitaet Berlin UUCP : fer...@fub.uucp

ue...@msu.oscs.montana.edu

Jul 1, 1993, 3:49:22 PM7/1/93
XIn article <20tv6b$c...@wraith.cs.uow.edu.au>, g870...@wraith.cs.uow.edu.au (Huu Truc Nguyen) writes:
>Hi Dos users,
>
>If I put the switch I=B000-B7FF for the emm386.exe prog, then i will gain
>a bit of memory at the Upper memory (the address from B000 to B7FF was reserved for
>Hercules or monochrome display, if using VGA display, then this memory chunk is
>wasted since DOS not using it - I saw this explaination in a PC magazine). It works
>ok when I am in DOS, BUT Windows refuse to load. Windows error said that it cannot
>set up an upper memory block at segment B000. Should I set the line EMMMExclude
>in the system.ini file to exlude that address ? I tried but no luck. Any hints?

This problem occurs with a SVGA display. If you have DOS 6, put the following
line in the [386Enh] section of your SYSTEM.INI:

device=c:\dos\monoumb.386

If you have DOS 5 or less and value memory over display, just switch to the
plain vannila Windows VGA driver.

I experimented with MONOUMB.386and it works with DOS 5 as well, but I suspectt
that this is illegal without a DOS 6 license. Do not know if MS would permit
this or license just MONOUMB.386.

Prof. Jerome E. Coffey PHONE: 406-994-5327; FAX: 406-994-2422
Department of English INTERNET: UE...@TERRA.OSCS.MONTANA.EDU
Montana State University BITNET: UE...@MTSUNIX1.BITNET
Bozeman, MT 59717-0230 USA GEnie: J.COFFEY7

A.M. Zanker

Jul 2, 1993, 6:08:51 AM7/2/93
fredd@shuksan (Fred Dickey) writes:

>There is a "readme" file included with DOS 6.0 that explains how to use
>B000-B7FF with windows. There is a special "SYS" file you have to
>load. Apparently, super VGA monitors use the monchrome region somehow.

Mine doesn't! All you need do is add the line

device=monoumb.386

to the [386Enhanced] section of SYSTEM.INI (making sure that monoumb.386
can be found by Windows). This works with my Orchid Fahrenheit VA at
800x600/256 colours.

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Zanker | A.M.Z...@ncl.ac.uk
Department of Mathematics and Statistics |