Change background of cmd.exe with some picture

Santosh Mohan

Jun 22, 2009, 9:24:21 AM6/22/09

Is there any way to set background of cmd.exe to some picture?

Thanks,
Santosh

pe...@nospam.demon.co.uk

Jun 22, 2009, 12:41:22 PM6/22/09
In article <bf37efb1-ac0d-480b...@r31g2000prh.googlegroups.com>
santo...@gmail.com "Santosh Mohan" writes:

> Hi,
>
> Is there any way to set background of cmd.exe to some picture?

That begs the question of _why_ anyone should want to do such a
thing for a text user interface?? You might find the answer in a
Windows newsgroup, but I'd be very surprised if one can do any
more than to define a background colour...

Pete
--
"We have not inherited the earth from our ancestors,
we have borrowed it from our descendants."

Matthias Tacke

Jun 22, 2009, 8:06:32 PM6/22/09
Santosh Mohan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any way to set background of cmd.exe to some picture?

Not with cmd.exe, but there is
<http://sourceforge.net/projects/console>
which has tabs, tranparent windows and also background pictures.

Regards
Matthias

teebo

Jun 22, 2009, 8:30:33 PM6/22/09
>> Is there any way to set background of cmd.exe to some picture?
> That begs the question of _why_ anyone should want to do such a

yeah that would be as usefull as having a background image
on the windows desktop... i.e. not much.

On the other hand, some kids love these kind of things, it can
be fun and pretty with rounded window-corners, jelly-moving
windows and 3D-desktop cubes, transpararent blurred windowsborders,
toolbars with backgroundtexture, small violet apes hangin in the windows...
Now I'm just waiting for real 3D-rendered windowborders and buttons
that gives shadows onto the windows content :-)
But these things don't last long. if it has raytraced reflections
of the mouse-pointer too I give it 3 days tops!

> thing for a text user interface?? You might find the answer in a

haha, I guess it would be possible to have something similar
for real textmode... like a TSR that change the background color
of the textcells to generate a 80x50 pixel image (in 50 line mode)
behind the text :-D

Not that it would be used by anyone more than one time but...

> Windows newsgroup, but I'd be very surprised if one can do any
> more than to define a background colour...

yep, that would be a question for a Windows-related group
(this is for real DOS), but I suspect it can't be done with
the standard command tool program, need a third-party one for that

Ted Davis

Jun 23, 2009, 9:02:54 AM6/23/09

I haven't managed to get it to work - it does nothing and leaves no error
messages.

--
T.E.D. (tda...@mst.edu)

Matthias Tacke

Jun 23, 2009, 2:47:18 PM6/23/09
I just tested the last beta and had no problems in a Window Xp Pro Sp3
virtual machine, but I remember I've had problems with an earlier version
related with the xml file. IIRC they were gone after having renamed it.

HTH

Regards
Matthias

Richard Bonner

Jun 27, 2009, 7:27:55 AM6/27/09
Santosh Mohan (santo...@gmail.com) wrote:
> Is there any way to set background of cmd.exe to some picture?
>
> Santosh

*** Why would you want that? How could you read text on top of a photo?
I suppose one could have a webpage-style background, but a solid
background is much better for command-line work.

Richard Bonner
http://www.chebucto.ca/~ak621/DOS/

legend...@yahoo.com

Nov 12, 2013, 5:52:14 PM11/12/13
I will see if I can edit anything to get it to accept that type of command.

kailanv...@gmail.com

Jan 18, 2016, 9:57:38 PM1/18/16
not that i know of but you can change the colour and font of pretty much everthing! need help, go to http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16815/how-to-personalize-the-windows-command-prompt/

JJ

Jan 19, 2016, 4:39:57 AM1/19/16
A console window is not the same as common GUI window. A console window is a
dedicated fixed-width font, text mode window.

There's no point of applying an image to a console background. It'll only
slows down the console performance and waste memory.

If you want to do it anyway, you'll have to make your own GUI window that
pipe I/O to and from a console program.

R.Wieser

Jan 19, 2016, 7:49:52 AM1/19/16
JJ,

> If you want to do it anyway, you'll have to make your own
> GUI window that pipe I/O to and from a console program.

If the targetted console window is (still) backward compatible with the old
DOS ones than a TSR (intercepting certain console-write command (INT 10h
perhaps) )would be possible too.

But as direct screen-memory writes are possible too (difficult to intercept)
this might not be a fuill solution ...

Ofcourse, most all of that becomes moot, as I don't think that the OP will
still be waiting on an answer to a question (s)he posted back in '09 :-)

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

JJ <jj4p...@vfemail.net> schreef in berichtnieuws
1hnrxsam0cswo.t...@40tude.net...

JJ

Jan 19, 2016, 3:29:51 PM1/19/16
On Tue, 19 Jan 2016 13:52:19 +0100, R.Wieser wrote:

> But as direct screen-memory writes are possible too (difficult to intercept)
> this might not be a fuill solution ...

True. AFAIK, anything that aren't written through standard I/O handles can't
be captured or redirected. At least without some hacking.

> Ofcourse, most all of that becomes moot, as I don't think that the OP will
> still be waiting on an answer to a question (s)he posted back in '09 :-)

I don't even think OP really know what he was asking. And yes, OP is a he. I
can very much tell. Moreover there's less than 33% of probability that OP is
a she and less than 25% of those that actually got used to a console.

abd...@gmail.com

Feb 25, 2016, 12:27:23 PM2/25/16
You can increase the transparency of the window from the properties of Command Prompt Shortcut.

Kerr Mudd-John

Mar 1, 2016, 4:14:57 AM3/1/16
On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 17:27:23 -0000, <abd...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You can increase the transparency of the window from the properties of
> Command Prompt Shortcut.

gmail users, eh?

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug

Marcus Houlden

Mar 3, 2016, 12:49:41 PM3/3/16
On Tue, 01 Mar 2016 09:15:00 -0000, Kerr Mudd-John <ad...@127.0.0.1>
wrote the following to comp.os.msdos.misc:

> On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 17:27:23 -0000, <abd...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> You can increase the transparency of the window from the properties of
>> Command Prompt Shortcut.
>>

> gmail users, eh?

The original post is from 2009
(https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.os.msdos.misc/SkEgruoQH3A/kTcqwquPk8kJ).
Not bad considering I've seen somne people replying to things that are over
20 years old.

mh.
--
http://www.nukesoft.co.uk
http://www.houlden.org

eroz...@gmail.com

Sep 28, 2016, 6:48:12 PM9/28/16
On Monday, June 22, 2009 at 9:24:21 AM UTC-4, Santosh Mohan wrote:
hi go #@$@

JJ

Sep 30, 2016, 8:39:08 AM9/30/16
Uh... he already did 7 years ago.

omid...@gmail.com

Jun 24, 2019, 11:10:54 AM6/24/19
Hey

As I Know, You cant directly change it's wallpaper, but i found a way.

1. Hide Desktop App
2. Enable "Automatically hide the taskbar in tablet mode"
3. Open Cmd
4. Go to Properties
5. Go to Colors Tab
6. Set the opacity to 94%
7.The Change Windows Wallpaper

I Think it's the only way
I Hope it Work

blacksc...@gmail.com

Jan 8, 2020, 1:44:08 PM1/8/20

JJ

Jan 8, 2020, 4:41:27 PM1/8/20
Since you're on GG, read the whole thread.