Please Answer ; Will XCOPY span multiple floppies

Harry Fine

Feb 11, 1995, 6:25:25 AM2/11/95
Hi There

I need a quick couple of easy questions anwered by some good DOS people.

1. When making a copy of files and directories from hard drive to floppy,
will xcopy span more than one floppy disk if there are too many files to fit
on one floppy? WIll it ask you to "Insert Next Disk"?

2. What about files bigger than one floppy disk. Will xcopy or anything else
out there let you split up a single file across floppies? Please don't tell
me to use compression to get the file on one disk. What if it is a 5 meg file
that even compressed would span 3, 1.44 meg floppies.

Answers here or email really appreciated.

Thanks

Harry Fine
Harry Fine - Toronto Canada
ha...@io.org

rde

Feb 23, 1995, 4:47:22 AM2/23/95
In article <harry.65...@io.org> ha...@io.org (Harry Fine) writes:
>1. When making a copy of files and directories from hard drive to floppy,
>will xcopy span more than one floppy disk if there are too many files to fit
>on one floppy? WIll it ask you to "Insert Next Disk"?

No.

>2. What about files bigger than one floppy disk. Will xcopy or anything else
>out there let you split up a single file across floppies?

BACKUP (DOS 5) will. You can get BACKUP for DOS 6 from various places, I
believe. They did a supplemental disk when everyone complained about it
being dropped.

>Please don't tell
>me to use compression to get the file on one disk. What if it is a 5 meg file
>that even compressed would span 3, 1.44 meg floppies.

Ah yes, but what about compression AND multiple floppies? PKZIP will do
that...I recently got a 35MB directory tree into one 30MB ZIP file on about
20-odd floppies.

Bob

--
Bob Eager TEAM OS/2; PS/2 Support
Phone: +44 1227 827650

Dave Fletcher

Feb 25, 1995, 1:47:00 AM2/25/95
RD++From: R.D....@ukc.ac.uk (rde)
++In article <harry.65...@io.org> ha...@io.org (Harry Fine) writes:
++>1. When making a copy of files and directories from hard drive to floppy,
++>will xcopy span more than one floppy disk if there are too many files to f

++>on one floppy? WIll it ask you to "Insert Next Disk"?

RD++No.

Well, unless they have dropped the /M parameter from xcopy in the last
couple of years, one can span as many disks as needed. Here's how it
works:

EX) To copy 7MB of files from the C:\DOCS directory (including
subdirectories) to several floppy disks in A: drive, type the
following at the command line:

XCOPY C:\DOCS\*.* /S/M

When the first disk if filled, you simply rerun the XCOPY command,
and it will start copying files where it left off. Do this until
all the files have been copied. NOTE: Make sure the archive bit
is set to (A)rchive for all files to be copied before starting or
the /M will ignore them.

fle...@poohs.com
---
* OLX 2.1 TD * Smash forehead on keyboard to continue...

Sebastian Er

Feb 27, 1995, 9:40:49 AM2/27/95
rde (R.D....@ukc.ac.uk) wrote:

: In article <harry.65...@io.org> ha...@io.org (Harry Fine) writes:
: >1. When making a copy of files and directories from hard drive to floppy,
: >will xcopy span more than one floppy disk if there are too many files to fit
: >on one floppy? WIll it ask you to "Insert Next Disk"?

There's a way out:
1. ATTRIB +a *.*
2. XCOPY *.* A:\ /M

It would finally stop with a messaeg "destiantion disk full"

3. Insert the next diskette &
XCOPY *.* A:\ /M
and ....