dos 6.2/Win conflict?

David P. Greenberg

Jul 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/21/99
Hi. I have win95 osr2 with dos 6.2 installed on a seperate partition.
When I try to install applications to the dos, like for instance my
Kensington Trackball driver, it wants to modify the config.sys and
autoexec.bat files in my C: drive (win). Is there a way to get the mods
to take place in the system files for 6.2 without effecting the windows
sys files? Does the previous question make any sense? I'm new to dos
(believe it or not, some of us still are) and have most of my computer
experience in win95. I want to try to learn dos. I'd like to be able to
boot into my 6.2 partition and use it as a stand alone, without all
kinds of conflict with the win partitions.

--
David P. Greenberg
Bitco Electronics

joseph olah

Jul 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/21/99

You'll have to use a program like System Commander if you want to boot
from another partition.

Joe Matise

Jul 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/22/99

"David P. Greenberg" wrote:

> Hi. I have win95 osr2 with dos 6.2 installed on a seperate partition.
> When I try to install applications to the dos, like for instance my
> Kensington Trackball driver, it wants to modify the config.sys and
> autoexec.bat files in my C: drive (win). Is there a way to get the mods
> to take place in the system files for 6.2 without effecting the windows
> sys files?

Easiest way I can think of is to have a .bat program that copies the files
to/from backups on the c:\ drive and your Dos drive (I'll assume D:\
here). Something like:

copy c:\config.sys c:\config.win
copy c:\autoexec.bat c:\autoexec.win
copy d:\config.sys c:\config.sys
copy d:\autoexec.bat c:\autoexec.bat

You run this right before you make any changes to it -- ie, before setting
up your kensington trackball or whatever, and then run the opposite after
making the changes -- copy c:\ to d:\ files, and then copy the .win files
to .bat/.sys. This saves the changes made to the dos files, and preserves
the windows files.

Not that this is the *easy* way to do it ... but I'm not remembering
whether it is possible to essentially subst one drive for another ... I
doubt it. It doesn't seem like the programs you are using are smart enough
to ask you what drive to work on (most aren't unfortunately), so unless
subst has suddenly gained the ability to substitute an already existing
drive letter, that may be the best option. Or manually making the changes
yourself, but that can be tricky.

> Does the previous question make any sense? I'm new to dos
> (believe it or not, some of us still are) and have most of my computer
> experience in win95. I want to try to learn dos. I'd like to be able to
> boot into my 6.2 partition and use it as a stand alone, without all
> kinds of conflict with the win partitions.

If that's what you want to do, might I suggest either a config.sys boot
menu (Not something I remember all of the specifics of right now, but it
essentially asks you what files to use to boot off of) or even easier, a
commercial (or freeware if you can find one) boot manager (System
Commander, ie) ... they can boot several different drives (even different
OS's including OS2 and Linux, and of course DOSx.y) however you want them
to, using different startup files.

-Joe Matise
(whose idea of a balanced diet is more like a 16 ounce steak in one plate
and 16 ounces of chocolate in the other)

David P. Greenberg

Jul 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/23/99
Hi Joseph,
Thanks for the reply. I'm already using a boot loader, Boot Magic. The
problem isn't booting into dos. I boot into command prompt mode, which
puts me on C:\, then simply cd into dos 6.2 which happens to be in my
case on I\:. At that point I can run dos with out a problem. My problem
has to do with the dual sets of system files. I have two Config.sys, two
Autoexec.bat, etc. One set is for Win32, and one is for dos6.2. If I
want to install a dos ap that wants to write to sys files, it will write
to the files on C:\ rather than the ones on I:\. this of course will
cause problems with Win95, and render the ap unusable in 6.2. What I'm
trying to do is to learn how to tell the installer progie to modify the
sys files in I:\.

--

joseph olah wrote in message <37962A...@server1.softdisk.com>...

>David P. Greenberg wrote:
>>
>> Hi. I have win95 osr2 with dos 6.2 installed on a seperate partition.
>> When I try to install applications to the dos, like for instance my
>> Kensington Trackball driver, it wants to modify the config.sys and
>> autoexec.bat files in my C: drive (win). Is there a way to get the
mods
>> to take place in the system files for 6.2 without effecting the
windows

>> sys files? Does the previous question make any sense? I'm new to dos

>> (believe it or not, some of us still are) and have most of my
computer
>> experience in win95. I want to try to learn dos. I'd like to be able
>> boot into my 6.2 partition and use it as a stand alone, without all
>> kinds of conflict with the win partitions.

David P. Greenberg

Jul 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/23/99
Hi Joe,
Now this looks really interesting, albeit a bit over my pointed little
head. I think the part that makes the most sense to me is the run,
install, run opposite sequence. That might do it. Would it be too much
trouble for you to try to simplify it a bit for me. As I say, I'm not
exactly a dos whiz yet, but I think this might make quite a difference.
Thank you.

--
David P. Greenberg
Bitco Electronics
In Service to the Recording Industry
www.tiac.net/users/bitco

"A balanced diet is a steak, chocolate, beer and a woman to serve it all
up in each hand." (Uh Oh, I'm in trouble now!!!)

Joe Matise wrote in message <37978466...@midway.uchicago.edu>...

>"David P. Greenberg" wrote:
>
>> Hi. I have win95 osr2 with dos 6.2 installed on a seperate partition.
>> When I try to install applications to the dos, like for instance my
>> Kensington Trackball driver, it wants to modify the config.sys and
>> autoexec.bat files in my C: drive (win). Is there a way to get the
mods
>> to take place in the system files for 6.2 without effecting the
windows
>> sys files?
>

>> Does the previous question make any sense? I'm new to dos
>> (believe it or not, some of us still are) and have most of my
computer
>> experience in win95. I want to try to learn dos. I'd like to be able
>> boot into my 6.2 partition and use it as a stand alone, without all
>> kinds of conflict with the win partitions.

Joe Matise

Jul 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/23/99
I created three .bat files so you could have two options here.
The first one, syscopy.bat, does it all for you -- you just type
syscopy dosdrive installprogramname installprogramoptions
where dosdrive is your dos drive, installprogramname is the obvious,
and followed by whatever options you need (up to 3).

The other two, syscopy1 and 2 .bat, do essentially the same thing, but
don't run the install program ... you need to run syscopy1, then the
install program, then syscopy2. (They're just the top and bottom of
syscopy.bat).
You can run them from the dos prompt. The actual commands are simply
the four copy commands at the top, and then the four copy commands at
the bottom -- call just runs a program from inside a .bat file, and echo
outputs to the screen. You can hand-run the copy commands if you want
(the @ and the /Y are unnecessary then).
(Sorry if you already knew that... just making sure =)

The two-part .bat files assume you have your dos drive on drive I: as
you said in an earlier posting ... if it is not in I: then you need to
change that in the file (just use edit or whatnot). Obviously,
syscopy.bat does not require this. Syscopy /? will give you a help
dialog similar to above.

If anything is unclear just reply =)

-Joe Matise