mscdex.exe error: Not enough drive letters available

Jim Pak

Jun 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/14/95
I'm having a problem getting DOS 6.20 to mount my CD-ROM drive. Apparently,
it thinks I don't have enough drive letters available, whatever that means.

Last weekend, I added a second hard drive plus OS/2 to my machine. In doing
so, I re-partioned, adding several logical drives.

My old set-up looked like this:
one physical hard drive, drive letters set up like this:
A: floppy, C: FAT partition (the entire hard drive), D: CD-ROM

My new set-up now looks like this:
two physical hard drives, drive letters set up like this:
A: floppy, C: FAT partition (1st drive), D: HPFS (2nd drive), E: FAT (1st),
F: FAT (1st), G: HPFS (2nd), H: FAT (2nd)

However, since DOS can't see the HPFS partitions, DOS sees the drives as this:
A: floppy, C: FAT D: FAT (i.e. the real E:), E: FAT (the real F:),
F: FAT (the real H:)

So far, no problems.

However, when I restored DOS 6.20/WFW 3.11 to my C: drive and then executed
my old autoexec.bat, I get the following messages:

----
[...]
Device Driver Name = MSCD0001
[...]
1 CD-ROM drive(s) connected.
CD-ROM device driver installed

Not enough drive letters available
----

Basically, my CD-ROM won't mount.

The line in my autoexec.bat that chokes is:

LH C:\DOS\mscdex.exe /D:MSCD0001 /M:30 /E

Afterwards, I went back to the DOS directory and tried running mscdex manually,
adding the /L option as follows:

mscdex.exe /D:MSCD0001 /M:30 /E /L:G (because I want the CD-ROM to be G:)

However, DOS still gives me the same error message.

I tried other drive letters (e.g. /L:H, /L:I, etc), but still the same error.

How can I get DOS to allow the CD-ROM to mount on drive G? Surely, there *are*
enough drive letters available. There's the whole alphabet from G to Z. :-)

I looked at "help mscdex," but it didn't mention anything about this. I've
also looked through rtfm.mit.edu for a FAQ for this group, but I didn't find
one. So now I'm posting.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Pak

Jun 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/15/95
Oops, my apologies for that last post. Upon further review, the answer
to my problem *was* in the MS-DOS on-line help. I'm just really bad with
the editor and thus didn't see it the first time.

Jim

J S Pluim

Jun 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/15/95
Jim Pak (jp...@pakman.sps.mot.com) wrote:
: I'm having a problem getting DOS 6.20 to mount my CD-ROM drive. Apparently,

: it thinks I don't have enough drive letters available, whatever that means.

Does your config.sys contain a line LASTDRIVE= ?

Baz.

Andreas Froese

Jun 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/15/95

>I'm having a problem getting DOS 6.20 to mount my CD-ROM drive. Apparently,
>it thinks I don't have enough drive letters available, whatever that means.

Look into your config.sys if there is a line
"LASTDRIVE=..."
If it is not, insert it.

>My new set-up now looks like this:
> two physical hard drives, drive letters set up like this:
> A: floppy, C: FAT partition (1st drive), D: HPFS (2nd drive), E: FAT (1st),
> F: FAT (1st), G: HPFS (2nd), H: FAT (2nd)

You should set this line to at least
"LASTDRIVE=I"
That would give mscdex the chance to assign drive I: to your CD-ROM.

If you want to be sure ALL drive letters are available, you could set the
value to Z. But that takes some amount of memory.

hope that helps

Andreas

--
Andreas Froese, Software Engineer
Hagenuk GmbH, Kiel - D - Germany

Werner Graff

Jun 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/16/95
to jp...@manute.sps.mot.com
Your config.sys is missing a line like

lastdrive = I

dos has to reserve memory for the drives, so it has to be told to do so
at bootuptime

Patrick M. O'Gara

Jun 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/18/95
In article <3rn50b$15...@newsgate.sps.mot.com>,

jp...@pakman.sps.mot.com (Jim Pak) wrote:
>I'm having a problem getting DOS 6.20 to mount my CD-ROM drive.
Apparently,it thinks I don't have enough drive letters available, whatever
that means.

>Last weekend, I added a second hard drive plus OS/2 to my machine. In
doingso, I re-partioned, adding several logical drives.

>My old set-up looked like this:
> one physical hard drive, drive letters set up like this:
> A: floppy, C: FAT partition (the entire hard drive), D: CD-ROM
>My new set-up now looks like this:
> two physical hard drives, drive letters set up like this:
> A: floppy, C: FAT partition (1st drive), D: HPFS (2nd drive), E: FAT
(1st), F: FAT (1st), G: HPFS (2nd), H: FAT (2nd)
>However, since DOS can't see the HPFS partitions, DOS sees the drives as
this:

> A: floppy, C: FAT D: FAT (i.e. the real E:), E: FAT (the real F:),
> F: FAT (the real H:)
>So far, no problems.
>However, when I restored DOS 6.20/WFW 3.11 to my C: drive and then
executed my old autoexec.bat, I get the following messages:
>----
>[...]
>Device Driver Name = MSCD0001
>[...]
>1 CD-ROM drive(s) connected.
>CD-ROM device driver installed
>Not enough drive letters available
>----
>Basically, my CD-ROM won't mount.
>The line in my autoexec.bat that chokes is:
> LH C:\DOS\mscdex.exe /D:MSCD0001 /M:30 /E
>Afterwards, I went back to the DOS directory and tried running mscdex
manually,adding the /L option as follows:

> mscdex.exe /D:MSCD0001 /M:30 /E /L:G (because I want the CD-ROM to be
G:) However, DOS still gives me the same error message. I tried other drive
letters (e.g. /L:H, /L:I, etc), but still the same error. How can I get DOS
to allow the CD-ROM to mount on drive G? Surely, there *are* enough drive
letters available. There's the whole alphabet from G to Z.
:-)
>Thanks,
>
>Jim
Do you have a lastdrive= statment in you config.sys file? It should be one
letter past your last drive. Also for some reason the CD-Rom is the last
drive to be loaded of all the drives so it should probably have a drive
letter that is after the last physical drive. Then the lastdrive statement
should be the next letter or you can simply set it to Z. It would be set to
Z anyway if you where using WFWg 3.11 and network VLM drivers anyway.

PAT

| Patrick M. O'Gara |
| |
| 'What is obvious to the few, is a mystery to the many' |
|____________________________________________________________________________|
| Communications Consulting Lab | EG&G / Energy Measurements, Inc. |
| Broadcast Engineering Consultants | Electronic Radiation Detectors Group |
| @Wizard.com The Internet Connection | DOE Primary Contractor for the NTS |
| E-Mail pato...@wizard.com | E-Mail ogar...@egg.nv.doe.gov |
|_____________________________________|______________________________________|

Andy Jibb

Nov 27, 2023, 11:50:30 PM11/27/23
I know this is a 28 year-old thread, but - thanks guys! I was trying to install a CD-ROM in my vintage 486 that has two physical CF cards in it, and I was running into the exact same problem. I had no idea about the "lastdrive=L" line.
I got my rig working!

J. Curtis

Nov 28, 2023, 11:12:11 AM11/28/23
On Mon, 27 Nov 2023 20:50:29 -0800 (PST), Andy Jibb wrote:

> I know this is a 28 year-old thread

Locking old threads is a web forum practice. No such thing on uncensored
Usenet. People troubled by old threads can leave.