GUI for 2MF?

Harry Potter

May 13, 2020, 3:27:24 PM5/13/20
Hi! Is there a GUI for the 2M utility's 2MF format utility? I have a batch file that supplies often-used switches but want extra.

JJ

May 14, 2020, 2:08:11 AM5/14/20
On Wed, 13 May 2020 12:27:23 -0700 (PDT), Harry Potter wrote:
> Hi! Is there a GUI for the 2M utility's 2MF format utility? I have a
> batch file that supplies often-used switches but want extra.

It's DOS, for Pete's sake. Use TUI, not GUI. GUI is just a waste of
resources for something which doesn't require graphics. If you meant GUI for
Windows, then you're in the wrong newsgroup.

R.Wieser

May 14, 2020, 3:33:32 AM5/14/20
Harry,

> Is there a GUI for the 2M utility's 2MF format utility?

Not that I know of .

>I have a batch file that supplies often-used switches but want extra.

I would suggest either finding a program which can wrap a GUI - or, as JJ
mentioned you probably mean, a TUI - around your commandline program, or
write such a TUI yourself.

In the last case, almost any BASIC would do the job.

But, have you already thought of the possibility of adding your own
switch(es) to the batch file ? One simple batch argument can cause the 2MF
to be called with a complex set of switches (which you do not want to
remember or type in every time).

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Harry Potter

May 14, 2020, 7:06:42 AM5/14/20
I meant TUI. I can create my own TUI using VBDOS. I just wanted to know if there is already one. :)

JJ

May 14, 2020, 11:12:45 PM5/14/20
On Thu, 14 May 2020 04:06:40 -0700 (PDT), Harry Potter wrote:
> I meant TUI. I can create my own TUI using VBDOS. I just wanted to know
> if there is already one. :)

If you think making TUI frontend using VBDOS is still too tedious, I'd
suggest using script based TUI such as:

- 4DOS powered batch file. No need to use 4DOS to replace COMMAND.COM. Use
it only as (extended) interpreter.

- Batch file with the help of Norton Utilities' BE (Batch Enhancer) or other
TUI helper tools.

- Batch file with ANSI escape codes (from ANSI.SYS).

There are likely several tools exist already for TUI. e.g. like what most
BBS server programs can do, but they may lack flexibility if compared with
using 4DOS.

Robert Riebisch

May 15, 2020, 8:46:13 AM5/15/20
Harry Potter wrote:

> Hi! Is there a GUI for the 2M utility's 2MF format utility? I have a batch file that supplies often-used switches but want extra.

There is 2MF Shell. Freeware made in 1995 by Grant Botes.

v1.2: ftp://ftp.elf.stuba.sk/pub/pc/utildisk/2mutls1b.zip
v1.1: http://ftp.lip6.fr/pub/pc/garbo/pc/diskutil/2mfshl11.zip

Never used it, but at least it starts on my Windows XP laptop. ;-)

--
Robert Riebisch

Harry Potter

May 15, 2020, 10:15:14 AM5/15/20
Thank you. I was willing to create a front-end, though, because VBDOS supports a TUI with dialog boxes. :)