restoring CentralPoint Backup cpbackup files!!

Raymond

Mar 14, 2009, 6:59:58 PM3/14/09
I am trying to restore some files backed up using CentralPoint PC
Tools v8/9 backup program, cpbackup.

The disk is fine, and I have the program (using cpbackup v9). But when
I try to run pctool's cpbackup, it fails with an

runtime error r6003
divide by zero

I have a P4 2.2ghz from 2001 era.

I tried this inside a clean VMware 6.5.1 DOS VM with DOS 6.22 install.
I also tried booting to DOS on my PC using a boot disk, it also
doesn't work. I even tried FreeDOS inside the VM, also no go.

Searching online, the divide by zero error code sometimes occurs when
old DOS programs tries to determine timing delay by running a loop. On
modern fast computers, the loop runs really fast hence the error. I
tried a delaying program, MoSlow inside the DOS VM, no luck. Either I
get the same error or it stucks at reading disk..

Has anyone tried to restore old cpbackup archives? I also tried
Virtual PC and didn't have much luck either. Are there any programs
out there that will read cpbackup files?

It's ironic that plain-old msbackup from dos 6.22 seems to work fine
inside the VM.

I guess if I manage to find a working 486 with a floppy drive, I may
get my data back, but I dont know anyone who still have computer that
old...

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

re...@thisnewsgroup.com

Mar 14, 2009, 8:55:32 PM3/14/09
On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 15:59:58 -0700 (PDT), Raymond <ray...@gmail.com>
wrote:

May not help at all but I can think of one thing to check and one to
try. Check to make user you have the final version of CPBackup. The
exe files and most ovl files are dated 10/9/93, some of the ovl files
are dated 11/29/93.

If you have anything older mention it here & I'll get you a copy of that
version.

One more DOS emulater you might try is DOSBOX.

There is also a tiny possibility that the problem could be too much
available ram -- though that wasn't as common a problem.

Rugxulo

Mar 14, 2009, 9:44:29 PM3/14/09

On Mar 14, 5:59 pm, Raymond <ray...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to restore some files backed up using CentralPoint PC
> Tools v8/9 backup program, cpbackup.
>
> The disk is fine, and I have the program (using cpbackup v9). But when
> I try to run pctool's cpbackup, it fails with an
>
> runtime error r6003
> divide by zero
>

> Searching online, the divide by zero error code sometimes occurs when
> old DOS programs tries to determine timing delay by running a loop. On
> modern fast computers, the loop runs really fast hence the error. I
> tried a delaying program, MoSlow inside the DOS VM, no luck. Either I
> get the same error or it stucks at reading disk..

As mentioned, DOSBox would probably help here, esp. since it's already
slow (and can be adjusted for speed), heh. Or you can try the
"r200fix" TSR from here (although I'm unsure that will work, but if
your description is correct, it will) :

http://kannegieser.net/veit/programm/index_e.htm

ftp://ftp.sac.sk/pub/sac/utilprog/r200fix.zip (binary only, no
srcs)

> Has anyone tried to restore old cpbackup archives? I also tried
> Virtual PC and didn't have much luck either. Are there any programs
> out there that will read cpbackup files?

I don't know if this will work, but you can try it :

http://www.mindprod.com/products4.html#RESTORE

> I guess if I manage to find a working 486 with a floppy drive, I may
> get my data back, but I dont know anyone who still have computer that
> old...

I have such a machine (and similar), but I doubt shipping it there and
back is cost effective. ;-)

Raymond

Mar 15, 2009, 1:57:53 AM3/15/09
Still trying without success.

I saw somewhere that IBM's PC DOS 2000 comes with cpbackup. So with
great pain I found it and managed to install it in the VM. All was
great, the DOS no longer runs in a tight loop consuming all CPU power
on my XP box, but still get the dreaded divide by zero error when
running the official cpbackup from PC DOS 2000.

The version of the cpbackup in PC DOS 2000 is 9. That's what it says
in the version box.

I get the error when the confidence test starts the backup process. It
immediately returns back to the main window.

I tried the r200fix.zip under PC DOS, no difference.... Tried the
restore executable, doesn't recognize the floppy as backup media. I
guess it doesn't support cpbackup format....

Sjouke Burry

Mar 15, 2009, 2:52:35 AM3/15/09
Find somebody with an old 486 computer, or disable the cache
in an early pentium computer.
Disabled cache slows the pentium down enough to work.

The error comes from a speed selftest where the counter overruns
on a fast computer.
The failure is seen on 200MHZ and faster pentiums.

You can also use google to find slowdown software needed for some
old games.

Marcus Houlden

Mar 15, 2009, 10:00:00 AM3/15/09
On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 22:57:53 -0700 (PDT), Raymond <ray...@gmail.com>
wrote the following to comp.os.msdos.misc:

Just been having a look into this myself. Is it worth trying an old version
of PC Tools for Windows? It's available from abandonware sites if you look
for it. Alternatively, Norton Backup & Restore or Ghost might be able to
handle them.

mh.
--
http://www.nukesoft.co.uk
http://personal.nukesoft.co.uk

From address is a blackhole. Reply-to address is valid.

Dr J R Stockton

Mar 15, 2009, 1:07:27 PM3/15/09
In comp.os.msdos.misc message <db942ac0-f02b-4620-baab-9b4b3c049d7b@e1g2
000pra.googlegroups.com>, Sat, 14 Mar 2009 15:59:58, Raymond
<ray...@gmail.com> posted:

>runtime error r6003
>divide by zero

The message "divide by zero" may really mean "divide overflow"; a zero
divisor is not always necessary for that.

Unless the programmer has rewritten the supplier's error message, that
is not the error in Borland's Pascals (though it's presumably similar);
so fixes for Borland's Pascals will not necessarily work for you.

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk DOS 3.3 6.20 ; WinXP.
Web <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> - FAQqish topics, acronyms & links.

Raymond

Mar 15, 2009, 9:37:11 PM3/15/09
On Mar 14, 5:55 pm, re...@thisnewsgroup.com wrote:

> May not help at all but I can think of one thing to check and one to
> try.  Check to make user you have the final version of CPBackup.  The
> exe files and most ovl files are dated 10/9/93, some of the ovl files
> are dated 11/29/93.

I looked at my files. The exe are 10/9/93, but all the overlay files
are also 10/9/93. I don't have any that's dated 11/29/93.

> If you have anything older mention it here & I'll get you a copy of that
> version.

Let me give it a try. Do you have the final v9 install disk image? Can
you email it to me? Much appreciated. Thanks.

> One more DOS emulater you might try is DOSBOX.

I am missing something obvious, how do I change floppy disk in DOSBOX?
I mount a: a:\, but don't I need to change it while the program is
running? do I need to re-mount? O just take out the floppy and put the
new one in and that's it?

re...@thisnewsgroup.com

Mar 16, 2009, 12:00:32 AM3/16/09
On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 18:37:11 -0700 (PDT), Raymond <ray...@gmail.com>
wrote:

|On Mar 14, 5:55 pm, re...@thisnewsgroup.com wrote:

Posting one copy of this message without attachment, and emailing the
other.

What I'm mailing is only the cpbackup stuff which I had zipped up for a
sending to somebody in a newsgroup back in '97. I probably still have
the original pctools disk somewhere around here, as I used pctools till
Symantic bought them to kill as Norton Utilities only competitor after
they bought Norton out.

Since I mostly used DOSBOX on a Mac to run DOS programs and data I had
networked over, I never tested it with external drives so can't help you
there with the disk switch.

Richard Bonner

Apr 1, 2009, 7:40:44 PM4/1/09
Raymond (ray...@gmail.com) wrote:
> I am trying to restore some files backed up using CentralPoint PC
> Tools v8/9 backup program, cpbackup.

> The disk is fine, and I have the program (using cpbackup v9). But when
> I try to run pctool's cpbackup, it fails with an

> runtime error r6003
> divide by zero

> I have a P4 2.2ghz from 2001 era.

> I tried this inside a clean VMware 6.5.1 DOS VM with DOS 6.22 install.
> I also tried booting to DOS on my PC using a boot disk, it also
> doesn't work. I even tried FreeDOS inside the VM, also no go.

> Searching online, the divide by zero error code sometimes occurs when
> old DOS programs tries to determine timing delay by running a loop. On
> modern fast computers, the loop runs really fast hence the error. I
> tried a delaying program, MoSlow inside the DOS VM, no luck. Either I
> get the same error or it stucks at reading disk..

> Has anyone tried to restore old cpbackup archives? I also tried
> Virtual PC and didn't have much luck either. Are there any programs
> out there that will read cpbackup files?

> It's ironic that plain-old msbackup from dos 6.22 seems to work fine
> inside the VM.

*** The conflict is with your processor speed and PCTOOLS.

> Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

*** If the backups are not too plentiful, send them to me; I have
PCTOOLS. I can send them back in .zip format.

Otherwise, try Bret Johnson's SLOWDOWN.

One or more links to websites
for the referred program(s)
can be found at:

http://www.chebucto.ca/~ak621/DOS/Websites.html

Richard Bonner
http://www.chebucto.ca/~ak621/DOS/

Tatiana García

Nov 19, 2020, 4:47:21 PM11/19/20
Hi! I have 16 cpbackup.0XX (CPBACKUP.001, CPBACKUP.002 ..... CPBACKUP.016) files, 1 CPBACKUP.DIR file and 1 CPBACKUP.xxx file and have been looking for a way to restore them since 1998. They used to be in 1.4M diskettes. Is there anyone that can restore them for me? They only have some vacation photos in Canada that I have not been able to see.

Evgeniy

Nov 28, 2020, 5:12:11 AM11/28/20
Hello, Tatiana!

On Thu, 19 Nov 2020 13:47:20 -0800 (PST)
Tatiana García <tatal...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi! I have 16 cpbackup.0XX (CPBACKUP.001, CPBACKUP.002 ..... CPBACKUP.016) files, 1 CPBACKUP.DIR file and 1 CPBACKUP.xxx file and have been looking for a way to restore them since 1998. They used to be in 1.4M diskettes. Is there anyone that can restore them for me? They only have some vacation photos in Canada that I have not been able to see.

Data for this message has been restored by Cental Point Backup 7.2 for Windows. DOS version 9.X did not want to unpack archives: it asked for a password (there was no password) and shows message, that it's high-speed archive, and high-speed mode must be activated. But high-speed mode cannot be activated for DOS. Too buggy tool.

------
With Best Regards,
Evgeniy