Getting Qemm/dos To Work On Win98se System

Harry Potter

Feb 7, 2021, 1:40:18 PM2/7/21
I have an old Win98SE system at my mother's house with QEMM. I tried installing QEMM for DOS and after the driver loads, the computer stops booting. The keyboard works, but the computer just stops. What do I need to do to get QEMM to work?

Sjouke Burry

Feb 7, 2021, 10:31:32 PM2/7/21
On 07.02.21 19:40, Harry Potter wrote:
> s house with QEMM. I tried installing QEMM for DOS and after the driver loads, the computer stops booting. The keyboard works, but the computer just

Get emm386.* from the win98 computer.
It should have it ,or search setup floppys/Cd for it.
Dont mix system files from w89 and DOS.
Delete the emm386.exe and its entry in config.sys and try reboot.

I just checked the bootfloppy, it does not contain or use emm386.

JJ

Feb 8, 2021, 2:27:47 AM2/8/21
Not all of QEMM's memory features work in Windows. So, don't enable all of
them.

Harry Potter

Feb 8, 2021, 8:35:43 AM2/8/21
On Monday, February 8, 2021 at 2:27:47 AM UTC-5, JJ wrote:
> Not all of QEMM's memory features work in Windows. So, don't enable all of
> them.

It stops booting while in DOS mode, and I mainly need it for a special DOS setup.

Grant Taylor

Feb 8, 2021, 11:57:14 AM2/8/21
On 2/8/21 6:35 AM, Harry Potter wrote:
> It stops booting while in DOS mode, and I mainly need it for a special DOS setup.

I would *STRONGLY* advocate for a menu in config.sys (if it still works
in '9x) and only enabling QEMM when working in DOS mode.

Aside: I think you can force the '9x boot menu to always display, with
a default, including the old DOS option. -- I know that the old DOS
option supports a config.sys menu in the DOS config.sys.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Harry Potter

Feb 8, 2021, 12:19:17 PM2/8/21
The problem occurs in DOS mode at start-up.

Grant Taylor

Feb 8, 2021, 12:44:42 PM2/8/21
On 2/8/21 10:19 AM, Harry Potter wrote:
> The problem occurs in DOS mode at start-up.

Sorry, DOS mode is somewhat ambiguous.

Are you booting MS-DOS 7.x or an older version of MS-DOS?

QEMM /may/ /not/ be compatible with MS-DOS 7.x.

Harry Potter

Feb 8, 2021, 1:37:16 PM2/8/21
MS-DOS 7.

JJ

Feb 8, 2021, 9:45:48 PM2/8/21
On Mon, 8 Feb 2021 10:37:15 -0800 (PST), Harry Potter wrote:
> MS-DOS 7.

Dude, you shouldn't use DOS if you can't troubleshoot or doesn't bother
figuring out constructive hints.

Harry Potter

Feb 25, 2021, 2:54:25 PM2/25/21
Well...I think the problem is with DOS mode, as the lock-up occurs just after the DOS QEMM driver loads. I have QEMM97, whose Windows driver works fine, so it couldn't be an incompatibility with Windows.