DOS4WIN64 - DJGPP programs on Windows 7/8

Georg Potthast

Dec 24, 2014, 8:51:53 AM12/24/14
I made a Qemu/DOS bundle to run my XFDOS package on Windows7/8. More or less as a proof of concept. It also includes a small FreeDOS distro called MetaDOS from Rugxulo.

You can download it here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/fltk-dos/files/Applications/DOS4WIN64_beta1.zip

There is a lot of DOS software that will not run on Windows 7 or 8 in 64bit
mode. To allow DOS applications to be used on these systems they can be
bundled with DOS4WIN64 and started from the disk like any other application
on a Windows 7 or 8 system. No need to install DOSBOX or VMWare first. Or to
burn a Live CD and boot from that.

Just copy the DOS4WIN64 archive files into a directory and start the batch
file to run DOS and the DOS application from there.

So if you made software for DOS you do not want to abandon you could make a
Win8 version with DOS4WIN64.

You could also make a version of this package for Linux and OS X using a different version of Qemu thus making the DOS application "cross platform" ;-)

Without my included XFDOS ISO image this package is just about 5 MB in size.

So if you have a DJGPP application that you want to make available for Windows
7 or 8 in 64 bit mode you could add this to the MetaDOS image in this
package and allow your users to run it on Windows 7 or 8 without installing
any additional emulation packages. If there is a FAT disk available on the PC, this disk can be accessed directly if configured.

Georg

brinda leela

Dec 24, 2014, 11:48:58 PM12/24/14
thank you

Rod Pemberton

Dec 25, 2014, 2:37:43 AM12/25/14
On Wed, 24 Dec 2014 08:51:52 -0500, Georg Potthast <dos...@googlemail.com>
wrote:

> I made a Qemu/DOS bundle to run my XFDOS package on Windows7/8. More or
> less as a proof of concept. It also includes a small FreeDOS distro
> called MetaDOS from Rugxulo.

On the 64-bit Linux I'm using, I've found that QEMU is much faster
than DOSBox or dosemu when emulating DOS, but that QEMU crashes
very frequently. It has some problems with DJGPP code which
I'm assuming have something to do with either DPMI or file
redirection and/or piping, based on when the code crashes. Have
you seen any such issues with QEMU?

Rod Pemberton

Georg Potthast

Dec 25, 2014, 3:15:54 AM12/25/14
No, I had no crashes but I did not test it very intensivly. It works as it is but I did not test different environments. First I wanted to see how much interest there is in it.

For XFDOS, since it is a Live-CD, I start cwsdpmi with the -r -s switches. The -s switch puts the cwsdpmi swap file onto a RAM disk. Otherwise it would not work, since cwsdpmi cannot write to the CD of cause.

You can try something similar on your system to avoid crashes. Maybe there are problems writing the swap file to a disk emulation. Depending on the format you used for that.

Aacini

Dec 26, 2014, 9:21:40 AM12/26/14
I apologize in advance, I know these are dumb begginer questions.

I have a Windows 8.1 64bit computer with a NTFS disk. I also have an old 16bits MS-DOS program in a .com extension file that I want run in my computer.

1- How I can add the .com program into the DOS4WIN64 files in order to run it? (I have NOT Linux!).
2- When the .com program run it generates a disk file. Is there any way that this file be copied in the computer disk?

TIA

Antonio

Georg Potthast

Dec 26, 2014, 3:58:07 PM12/26/14
No, this are not dumb questions. Just valid questions of a user testing the package ;-)

1. I do not know how big your program is, but a .com program should be small. You can add it to the metados.img file using the UltraISO editor. A test version of this editor is sufficient for that. You just open the metados.img file in UltraISO and add your program file to the metados.img file. When you run MetaDOS within DOS4WIN64, you can run your program from the command line.

If you need more space you can make a bigger image file with the included qemu-img.exe utility.

2. Qemu features a VVFAT file system to exchange files to an NTFS disk. A bit of information about that you will find here:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/QEMU/Devices/Storage

You will find more information in the Qemu manual. DOS should recognize the VVFAT disk as a hard disk and let you read and write to it -> if everything is configured correctly.

Georg

Jason Hood

Dec 26, 2014, 7:03:30 PM12/26/14
On 27/12/2014 0:21, Aacini wrote:
> I have a Windows 8.1 64bit computer with a NTFS disk. I also have an old 16bits MS-DOS program in a .com extension file that I want run in my computer.

MSDOS Player is a bit simpler - just run "msdos your.com". If it's supported, your file will be generated as normal.

http://homepage3.nifty.com/takeda-toshiya/msdos/index.html

--
Jason.