Christmas is near

Happy Oyster

Oct 25, 2012, 1:31:48 PM10/25/12

WangoTango

Oct 26, 2012, 1:13:10 PM10/26/12
In article <grti88d59mesp0i09...@4ax.com>, -*-*.@.*-*-
says...
> and nearly 2 years not a single posting...

Yeah, I guess everyone has moved on.
Most of the old hardware running DV is dead, and you can run X Windows
on other clients...

Richard Bonner

Oct 28, 2012, 9:25:55 AM10/28/12
Happy Oyster (-*-*.@.*-*-) wrote:
> and nearly 2 years not a single posting...

*** I would think that only hobbyists are running DESQview and are
either knowledgeable enough not to need this group or are unaware of it.

Others that need such capabilities can run newer software that can
handle graphic applications better than DV.

--
Richard Bonner
http://www.chebucto.ca/~ak621/DOS/

colone...@yahoo.com

Nov 4, 2012, 6:54:53 PM11/4/12
On Sun, 28 Oct 2012, Richard Bonner wrote:

> Happy Oyster (-*-*.@.*-*-) wrote:
>> and nearly 2 years not a single posting...
>
> *** I would think that only hobbyists are running DESQview and are
> either knowledgeable enough not to need this group or are unaware of it.

Or lurk wishing they could justify keeping a machine to run desqview,
lonesome for it & usenet...

CC

WangoTango

Nov 7, 2012, 12:29:32 PM11/7/12
In article <alpine.BSF.2.00.1...@beasdy.ronnet.moc>,
colone...@yahoo.com says...
Yeah, I need to set up a VM with my copy of DVX.
I always like that GUI. I hesitate to call it an OS, since it is built
on DOS.
Has anyone run DV or DVX on a machine with DR-DOS V7? I know it has a
LOT of built in support for 32 bit processing.
Also, my copy of DVX is missing the key for the TCP/IP stack, is there
an available stack I get?

Jim

Richard Bonner

Nov 9, 2012, 11:40:02 AM11/9/12
(Snip)

*** Newer computers can run DESQview. I have a copy on a Pentium IV and
fired it up to see if it would run; it did.

Richard Bonner

Nov 9, 2012, 11:44:30 AM11/9/12
WangoTango (Asga...@mindspring.com) wrote:
> Has anyone run DV or DVX on a machine with DR-DOS V7? I know it has
> a LOT of built in support for 32 bit processing.

*** I use DR-DOS 7.03 with 4DOS 8.0 as a secondary shell. My copy of
DESQview can run on it, but I don't use it for anything now.

> Also, my copy of DVX is missing the key for the TCP/IP stack, is
> there an available stack I get?

> Jim

*** I am unfamiliar with DVX. What's its story?

WangoTango

Nov 9, 2012, 1:45:38 PM11/9/12
In article <k7jbte$jh2$2...@Kil-nws-1.UCIS.Dal.Ca>, ak...@chebucto.ns.ca
says...
> WangoTango (Asga...@mindspring.com) wrote:
> > Has anyone run DV or DVX on a machine with DR-DOS V7? I know it has
> > a LOT of built in support for 32 bit processing.
>
> *** I use DR-DOS 7.03 with 4DOS 8.0 as a secondary shell. My copy of
> DESQview can run on it, but I don't use it for anything now.
>

> > Also, my copy of DVX is missing the key for the TCP/IP stack, is
> > there an available stack I get?
>
> > Jim
>
> *** I am unfamiliar with DVX. What's its story?

It is DesqView with the X Windows interface.
It can act as an X Windows Client and run software on other X Windows
machines and act as the GUI front end. So, you can be running an
intensive number crunching program on another system and it looks like a
local process. *I* never used it for that, since my copy is missing the
key to install the network stack. It comes with several X Windows
programs and does cool things like scalable windows an other goodies
that OSX and Win(X) never got to. If you want to compare it to
something it is like the X Windows front end on Linux.
It also looks a lot like OS-9 (the REAL OS-9 not Apples' OS9).

I will try to get a VM up and running with it in it and I will grab a
screen capture.

buck

Nov 10, 2012, 3:42:17 PM11/10/12
> Also, my copy of DVX is missing the key for the TCP/IP stack, is there
> an available stack I get?
>
> Jim
Have you looked at
http://chsoft.com/dv/

That site is ancient and lots of the links are gone/dead but there are
serial numbers and a terrific hint to install DVX 2.0 for its NW stack
and then upgrade that to 2.1.
--
buck

Richard Bonner

Nov 11, 2012, 6:12:13 AM11/11/12
WangoTango (Asga...@mindspring.com) wrote:

> ak...@chebucto.ns.ca says...
> > *** I am unfamiliar with DVX. What's its story?

> It is DesqView with the X Windows interface.
(Snip)

*** Can it run under stand-alone DOS?

WangoTango

Nov 12, 2012, 12:59:02 PM11/12/12
In article <k7o16d$n20$1...@Kil-nws-1.UCIS.Dal.Ca>, ak...@chebucto.ns.ca
says...
> WangoTango (Asga...@mindspring.com) wrote:
>
> > ak...@chebucto.ns.ca says...
> > > *** I am unfamiliar with DVX. What's its story?
>
> > It is DesqView with the X Windows interface.
> (Snip)
>
> *** Can it run under stand-alone DOS?

Sure, it was just like DV, it just had a prettier face.

colone...@yahoo.com

Dec 16, 2012, 9:22:03 PM12/16/12
On Fri, 9 Nov 2012, WangoTango wrote:
> *I* never used it for that, since my copy is missing the
> key to install the network stack.
I've installed with what's available at

http://www.chsoft.com/dv.html

including network.

I don't know if the crynwyr drivers would work even how
current they are. I've used 'em with kermit & lynx...