Seeking Take Command for Win98...

Kenny McCormack

Jun 13, 2015, 4:09:49 PM6/13/15

Seeking Take Command for Win98...

I need to outfit a machine running '98 with TC. I am sure that, way back
when, I used to use TC under '98, but I don't think I can scrounge it up.

I tried installing TC 5.0 on the '98 machine, but when I ran it, it said it
required at least XP.

Is there any chance that anyone at JP could make this available to me as a
download? I still have my registration codes, so it should work if I can
just get hold of the software.

The "old versions" rep at jpsoft.com only goes back as far as 7.something.

P.S. As a last ditch, I might try the freeware 4DOS on the '98 machine,
but I've actually never used 4DOS - only TCC.

--
Rich people pay Fox people to convince middle class people to blame poor people.

(John Fugelsang)

Stan Brown

Jun 13, 2015, 4:51:45 PM6/13/15
On Sat, 13 Jun 2015 20:09:49 +0000 (UTC), Kenny McCormack wrote:
> P.S. As a last ditch, I might try the freeware 4DOS on the '98 machine,
> but I've actually never used 4DOS - only TCC.

To the best of my recollection, I used 4DOS on my Win XP computer.

There are very few differences between TCCLE and 4DOS. 4DOS actually
has more capabilities, such as user-defined functions and FTP.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

Kenny McCormack

Jun 13, 2015, 4:57:42 PM6/13/15
In article <MPG.2fe661ed...@news.individual.net>,
Stan Brown <the_sta...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>On Sat, 13 Jun 2015 20:09:49 +0000 (UTC), Kenny McCormack wrote:
>> P.S. As a last ditch, I might try the freeware 4DOS on the '98 machine,
>> but I've actually never used 4DOS - only TCC.
>>

>To the best of my recollection, I used 4DOS on my Win XP computer.
>
>There are very few differences between TCCLE and 4DOS. 4DOS actually
>has more capabilities, such as user-defined functions and FTP.

The primary difference is that TCC/TCCLE has a GUI look and feel, while
4DOS (AFAIK) has the look and feel of DOS/COMMAND.COM/CMD.EXE. Right?

BTW, there is also ANARKEY, which I used back in the day on DOS. ANARKEY
was great, and had all the functionality I needed, as best as I recall.

Again, though, the problem will be finding a working verison of it in my
mess of backups.

But, again, it would be nice if someone could make the regular TCC that
runs on '98 available to me!

--
Modern Conservative: Someone who can take time out
from demanding more flag burning laws, more abortion

Stan Brown

Jun 13, 2015, 10:57:43 PM6/13/15
On Sat, 13 Jun 2015 20:57:42 +0000 (UTC), Kenny McCormack wrote:
> The primary difference is that TCC/TCCLE has a GUI look and feel, while
> 4DOS (AFAIK) has the look and feel of DOS/COMMAND.COM/CMD.EXE. Right?

No, TCCLE is a command-line shell, just as 4DOS was.

You may be thinking of Take Command, which I know little about as
I've never used it.

Klaus Meinhard

Jun 14, 2015, 2:51:52 AM6/14/15
Hallo Kenny McCormack,

you may find what you need on my website www.4dos.info

Best regards,

Klaus Meinhard

> Seeking Take Command for Win98...
>
> I need to outfit a machine running '98 with TC. I am sure that, way back
> when, I used to use TC under '98, but I don't think I can scrounge it up.
>
> I tried installing TC 5.0 on the '98 machine, but when I ran it, it said it
> required at least XP.
>
> Is there any chance that anyone at JP could make this available to me as a
> download? I still have my registration codes, so it should work if I can
> just get hold of the software.
>
> The "old versions" rep at jpsoft.com only goes back as far as 7.something.
>
> P.S. As a last ditch, I might try the freeware 4DOS on the '98 machine,
> but I've actually never used 4DOS - only TCC.

--
Herzliche Grüße,

* Klaus Meinhard *

Klaus Meinhard

Jun 14, 2015, 5:14:49 AM6/14/15
Hallo Kenny McCormack),

a little bit more info regarding your search:

> Seeking Take Command for Win98...
>
> I need to outfit a machine running '98 with TC. I am sure that, way
> back when, I used to use TC under '98, but I don't think I can
> scrounge it up.

Windows 98 was still a DOS-type operating system. So, if you simply want
the power of the enhanced shell, the latest (free!) 4DOS 8.00 would be a
good choice.

To use any of the other possible choices you'd need a key. While I
provide all the latest major versions of the various JP Soft command
shells, I cannot provide a missing key. So these versions are only
helpful if you can find your key still somewhere or ask JP Soft to look
it up.

To quote from the info in TC3:

* You can use 4DOS with all versions of MS-DOS and PC-DOS from 3.1
through 7.1 and above, including Windows 95, 98, and ME ("MS-DOS 7" is
the DOS portion of Microsoft Windows 95/98/ME). You can also use it
with all versions of DR DOS / Novell DOS / OpenDOS from 3.4 through 7.0
and above, and in DOS sessions started under Windows 95/98/ME, and also
under Windows 3.x and OS/2 Warp.

* You can use 4NT with Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, and Windows 95, 98,
and ME.

* Take Command/32 brings the power of 4DOS and 4NT to the Windows
desktop and adds many new features. You can use it with Windows 95,
Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows NT 4.0, and Windows 2000.

Kenny McCormack

Jun 14, 2015, 5:17:29 AM6/14/15
In article <MPG.2fe6b7b44...@news.individual.net>,
Stan Brown <the_sta...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>On Sat, 13 Jun 2015 20:57:42 +0000 (UTC), Kenny McCormack wrote:
>> The primary difference is that TCC/TCCLE has a GUI look and feel, while
>> 4DOS (AFAIK) has the look and feel of DOS/COMMAND.COM/CMD.EXE. Right?
>
>No, TCCLE is a command-line shell, just as 4DOS was.

Right. TCCLE is what 4NT evolved into.

>You may be thinking of Take Command, which I know little about as
>I've never used it.

That's a shame. You should try it sometime...

--
"We should always be disposed to believe that which appears to us to be
white is really black, if the hierarchy of the church so decides."

- Saint Ignatius Loyola (1491-1556) Founder of the Jesuit Order -

Kenny McCormack

Jun 14, 2015, 5:23:23 AM6/14/15
In article <cu4v07...@mid.individual.net>,
Klaus Meinhard <k_mei...@gmx.de> wrote:
>the power of the enhanced shell, the latest (free!) 4DOS 8.00 would be a
>good choice.

I've installed from '4dos750.exe' and it seems to work well enough.
Not as pretty as Tcmd, but good enough.

>To use any of the other possible choices you'd need a key. While I
>provide all the latest major versions of the various JP Soft command
>shells, I cannot provide a missing key. So these versions are only
>helpful if you can find your key still somewhere or ask JP Soft to look
>it up.

Good news. I will check out your site. And I'll see if any of my keys
(I.e., the ones I can locate) work.

--
Modern Conservative: Someone who can take time out from flashing her
wedding ring around and bragging about her honeymoon to complain that a

CRNG

Jun 14, 2015, 7:45:03 AM6/14/15
On Sat, 13 Jun 2015 16:51:47 -0400, Stan Brown
<the_sta...@fastmail.fm> wrote in
<MPG.2fe661ed...@news.individual.net>

>On Sat, 13 Jun 2015 20:09:49 +0000 (UTC), Kenny McCormack wrote:
>> P.S. As a last ditch, I might try the freeware 4DOS on the '98 machine,
>> but I've actually never used 4DOS - only TCC.
>>

>To the best of my recollection, I used 4DOS on my Win XP computer.
>
>There are very few differences between TCCLE and 4DOS. 4DOS actually
>has more capabilities, such as user-defined functions and FTP.

4dos does indeed work well on WinXP, as does 4nt. I never did notice
any improvements offered by TCC that were improvements for my
particular style and needs. YMMV.

Kenny McCormack

Jun 14, 2015, 1:18:47 PM6/14/15
In article <rqpqnald05i1vvki4...@4ax.com>,
CRNG <sp...@uce.gov> wrote:
>On Sat, 13 Jun 2015 16:51:47 -0400, Stan Brown
><the_sta...@fastmail.fm> wrote in
><MPG.2fe661ed...@news.individual.net>
>
>>On Sat, 13 Jun 2015 20:09:49 +0000 (UTC), Kenny McCormack wrote:
>>> P.S. As a last ditch, I might try the freeware 4DOS on the '98 machine,
>>> but I've actually never used 4DOS - only TCC.
>>>

>>To the best of my recollection, I used 4DOS on my Win XP computer.
>>
>>There are very few differences between TCCLE and 4DOS. 4DOS actually
>>has more capabilities, such as user-defined functions and FTP.
>
>4dos does indeed work well on WinXP, as does 4nt. I never did notice
>any improvements offered by TCC that were improvements for my
>particular style and needs. YMMV.

It's pretty much the same thing - just with a GUI look & feel.

Much like Notepad is the same thing as Edlin - just with a GUI look & feel.

--
"Unattended children will be given an espresso and a free kitten."

DMcCunney

Jun 17, 2015, 7:37:18 PM6/17/15
On 6/13/2015 4:09 PM, Kenny McCormack wrote:
> Seeking Take Command for Win98...
>
> I need to outfit a machine running '98 with TC. I am sure that, way back
> when, I used to use TC under '98, but I don't think I can scrounge it up.

I don't believe Take Command existed when Win98 was current. The GUI
version of 4DOS back then was 4NT. These days, it's Take Command, and
there's a freeware lite version called TCC-LE. TCC-LE is a pure command
line program, and you run it instead of CMD.EXE.

Klaus Meinhard maintains a comprehensive info site on all things 4DOS,
and it's worth looking at: http://www.4dos.info/

The 16 bit version of 4DOS works in an NTVDM process under XP, and ran
fine under Win98. When development moved to 32 bit, Rexx Conn released
4DOS as open source, and it's available from Klaus's site among others.

But there was little point to running 4DOS under XP save as a "because I
can!" exercise, when TCC-LE existed for it and provides equivalent
abilities.

Under Win7 Pro here, I have TCC-LE, and also have a package called Clink
that installs in CMD.EXE and uses a port of the Gnu Readline library to
provide bash style command editing and completion and can be scripted in
Lua.

I run both in ConEmu, an open source tabbed console program, and have
Win32 ports of bash, tcsh, and zsh as well.

You can get TCC-LE here: https://jpsoft.com/tccle-cmd-replacement.html

Clink is here: http://code.google.com/p/clink

And ConEmu is here: http://conemu.github.io/
______
Dennis

Kenny McCormack

Jun 17, 2015, 10:07:58 PM6/17/15
In article <mlt08u$fvg$1...@dont-email.me>,
DMcCunney <dennis....@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 6/13/2015 4:09 PM, Kenny McCormack wrote:
>> Seeking Take Command for Win98...
>>
>> I need to outfit a machine running '98 with TC. I am sure that, way back
>> when, I used to use TC under '98, but I don't think I can scrounge it up.
>
>I don't believe Take Command existed when Win98 was current. The GUI

I did run Take Command under '98, for many years.

It's just that I no longer have access to the backups of it all.

--
A liberal, a moderate, and a conservative walk into a bar...

Bartender says, "Hi, Mitt!"