Files descrition to files comment field

Ralf Brinkmann

Jan 29, 2016, 8:33:48 AM1/29/16
Hi everybody and happy New Year!

I am sure here are still some 4DOS/4NT/TCC/JP-Soft fans.

How can I get my files descriptions from my old FILES.BBS to the comment
fields of the files, so that I can also see this description in the
normal Windows Explorer (W10x64) or any other file manager and what must
I change in the TCMD.INI?

I have just updated to TCCLE 14x64, but didn't use the command line very
often the last years. So I forgot a lot.

Gruß, Ralf
--
Windows 10x64
Opera 36.x

JJ

Jan 30, 2016, 10:56:20 AM1/30/16
To change (not add as an alternative to "DESCRIPT.ION") the default file
description's file name, change the INI key name "DescriptionName" under
these INI sections:

"[TackeCommand]" for Take Command
"[4NT]" for 4NT / TCC
"[4DOS]" for 4DOS

TakeCommand/TCC/4NT/4DOS do *not* provide file description capability to
other softwares.

For Windows built in Windows Explorer, you'll have to install a shell
extension that provide file description in form of a custom Explorer view
column, and/or a new tab on a file/folder property sheet dialog.

Third party file managers will have to implement it themselves either by
utilizing shell extensions, or by using their own implementation, or
combination of both.

Total Commander supports file descriptions without using any plugin but it's
not free.

For the free ones (also without any plugin), you can try FreeCommander,
Unreal Commander, or Double Commander. These aren't Explorer based file
manager so the file list don't look or work like Explorer.

Klaus Meinhard

Feb 1, 2016, 5:44:43 AM2/1/16
Hallo Ralf Brinkmann,

> How can I get my files descriptions from my old FILES.BBS to the
> comment fields of the files, so that I can also see this description
> in the normal Windows Explorer (W10x64) or any other file manager and
> what must I change in the TCMD.INI?

From the Take Command 19 Help file:

NTFS Descriptions : If set, Take Command uses the Comments field in the
NTFS SummaryInformation stream for each file to hold its description,
instead of the DESCRIPT.ION file. The advantages are that the
description will always remain with the file regardless of what program
copies, moves, or renames it. The disadvantage is that you cannot attach
a description to directories.

I don't know if tzhis already exists in TCC/LE.

--
Herzliche Grüße,

* Klaus Meinhard *

Ralf Brinkmann

Feb 1, 2016, 6:20:36 AM2/1/16
Hallo Klaus!

*Klaus Meinhard*:

> From the Take Command 19 Help file:

> NTFS Descriptions : If set, Take Command uses the Comments field in the
> NTFS SummaryInformation stream for each file to hold its description,
> instead of the DESCRIPT.ION file. The advantages are that the
> description will always remain with the file regardless of what program
> copies, moves, or renames it. The disadvantage is that you cannot attach
> a description to directories.

> I don't know if tzhis already exists in TCC/LE.

Oh, da ist ja noch einer! Ich bin so glücklich!

Ok, English:

I have installed the newest version of TCC/LE. The descriptions are
visible in the commandline screen (TCC/LE), if given. But I don't know,
how to move the descriptions from the old files (FILES.BBS instead of
DESCRIPT.ION) to the respective comment fields. And I don't know which
comment fields these are. I have tried to switch "Kommentare" as visible
element in Windows Explorer and XYplorer on, to see my descriptions, but
nothing is visible. If I open the properties of a file (CTRL-ENTER) and
add a description in "Details" => "Kommentar", then I can see it in
TCC/LE. This is not exactely what I wanted.

Do you or anybody else have an idea? Whom could I ask?