Parameter display -- is this a bug?

Stan Brown

Apr 21, 2022, 10:21:50 AM4/21/22
I have a batch file that contains these lines:
echo %%* = '%*' [%*] "%*"
echo %%*%% = '%*%' [%*%] "%*%"
echo %%$ = '%$' [%$] "%$"

I call the batch file in this way:
showargs a b "c=d" e
and those lines display the following:
%* = '*' [*] "a b "c=d" e"
%*% = '*' [*] "*"
%$ = 'a b "c=d" e' [a b "c=d" e] "a b "c=d" e"

In other words, in the first line, %* inside single quotes or
brackets returns the character *, _not_ the full command tail as
documented. "%*" does return the command tail, quoted.

Is this a bug, or are ' ' and [ ] around %* supposed to be special in
some way? As you can see, they are _not_ special around %$, but I
can't use %$ because the batch file uses SHIFT.

I have Windows version 10.0.19043.1645. the "ver" command in TCCLE
doesn't display anything, but %_4ver displays 12.10.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Klaus Meinhard

Apr 22, 2022, 4:28:02 AM4/22/22
Am 21.04.2022 um 16:21 schrieb Stan Brown:

> I have Windows version 10.0.19043.1645. the "ver" command in TCCLE
> doesn't display anything, but %_4ver displays 12.10.

I doubt that you''ll see much response here. Yours is the first posting
here in about a year.

Try to update tcc/le to the most recent version (14.09) and see if your
trouble persists.

If it does, go to the forums of jpsoft.com. There's a tcc/le support
forum, and ask your questions there. There are some very helpful people.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

* Klaus Meinhard *

Stan Brown

Apr 29, 2022, 4:49:19 AM4/29/22
Thanks, Klaus. I know that's the logical thing to do.

(I'm always nervous about version upgrades, because sometimes
features are removed and things stop working. Firefox and Thunderbird
are the worst offenders in this. But when I upgraded TCC/LE to 12.10,
a couple of years ago, some feature stopped working. I no longer
remember what it was, but I know it was deliberate and not a bug,
because it was reflected in the help file.)

Klaus Meinhard

Apr 29, 2022, 5:05:21 AM4/29/22
Am 29.04.2022 um 10:49 schrieb Stan Brown:

> (I'm always nervous about version upgrades, because sometimes
> features are removed and things stop working. Firefox and Thunderbird
> are the worst offenders in this. But when I upgraded TCC/LE to 12.10,
> a couple of years ago, some feature stopped working. I no longer
> remember what it was, but I know it was deliberate and not a bug,
> because it was reflected in the help file.)

You can install the new version alonside the older one without problems.
So you could read the new help file to decide which version to keep.

However, don't forget my advice to seek competent help in the JP
Software forum...

Stan Brown

Apr 29, 2022, 2:05:56 PM4/29/22
I haven't forgotten. But I take your point that I shouldn't ask about
a bug(*) in an old version without at least trying the latest version
to see if the bug exists there.

(*) Assuming it _is_ a bug, and not intentional behavior that I was
unable to find in the help file.