Creating com1 folder in windows

Bobby

Aug 18, 2004, 7:10:40 AM8/18/04
Any idea why we can't create folders with names like
com1,com2,...,com9, Aux, lpt1,lpt2,...,lpt9, nul,con,etc in windows?

jota

Aug 25, 2004, 9:28:42 AM8/25/04
> Any idea why we can't create folders with names like
> com1,com2,...,com9, Aux, lpt1,lpt2,...,lpt9, nul,con,etc in windows?
Wow, thats must be embarrassing for MS!
I tried it on my XP - SP1 and I couldn't make any folders with that name!
I also tried to make new files 'com1.doc' and 'lpt5.txt', and even that
didn't work!
//jota

TDB987

Aug 30, 2004, 5:01:21 PM8/30/04
Hi I tried this and was also suprised you canot have letters and
numbers together, what did work was having the letters seperated from
the numbers by a space ex: jtp 9, jtp 10
Have a good one

Bascom King

Aug 31, 2004, 9:22:45 AM8/31/04
"jota" <a...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<eu0Xc.1458$d5.1...@newsb.telia.net>...

It might be related to the fact that the operating system uses these names
for the serial ports on the computer and therefore would be forbidden as file
or folder names.