IE ignores my settings after installing SP2

Chris B

Sep 11, 2004, 2:57:00 AM9/11/04
I had Norton firewall all set up the way I wanted it.

Now, with stupid IE blocking popups, it is interfering with my sites
that I set up in Norton to allow popups.

I uncheck "block popups", but it keeps re-checking it! What the hell
is that? You can only uncheck it temporarily? I have even tried
changing security settings for certain sites, but it completely
ignores the settings I make. Thus, half the time, I can't do what I
want, and the other half of the time my computer is freezing up. I
would rather disable security on IE and let my firewall handle it. Is
there any way to stop this software from interfering with my firewall?

Argh, my wireless NIC doensn't work half the time. This SP2 is the
worst software I have ever installed.

Chris B

Sep 11, 2004, 12:47:39 PM9/11/04
here is more,
I just spent ONE HOUR trying to download my television's service
manual from the Sony website. It appears in a popup window. I have so
far tried completely turning off Norton Firewall, adding the website
to the list of sites that are allowed to have popups in IE. I even
tried temporarily turning off popup blocking. IE with SP2 will NOT let
me download my own manual.

Not only that, I keep unchecking "block popups" in options, and then
when I reopen the options screen, "block popups" is CHECKED again! Who
the hell does MS think it is? If they give an option, the software
should do what you tell it. If it is going to assume I am stupid and
do what it wants anyway, or keep re-checking a box that I unchecked
without letting me know, why bother to have the option?

That is the height of hubris in developers, "well I am smarter I will
do whatever I want"

I would be fired if I had that attitude towards my customers, or
produced code that simply did not work.

A computer that is totally useless is not "secure" it is a
paperweight.